cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z590-E Fails to update to BIOS 1701, 1601 and 1402

EnvyYou
Level 7

Hi All

As per title, i have tried twice to upgrade my motherboard to firmware version 1701 but each time after it completes it hangs on the "Republic of Gamers Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" Screen.

The first time that i did the upgrade i had not upgraded the ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235 as this was an oversight.

The second time i attempted i had applied the upgrade of the ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235

Each time i did the bios update it will only boot up under the following conditions -

1. If i do a CMOS reset then i can boot into bios and windows ( not 100 % chance to work might have to try a few times ) but then will always fail to boot again on a reboot or shutdown.

2. If i do a bios flashback it will fix the problem for good.

What is causing this issue, as will i not be able to upgrade ?

The below is what works and what doesn't

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1007 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1202 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1301 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1402 - Wont Boot
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1601 - Wont Boot
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1701 - Wont Boot

Intel Core i7 11700K Processor
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128GB (4x32GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC 12GB
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 PCI-E Gen4 NVMe SSD 1TB
Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

17 REPLIES 17

Shark007
Level 10

The fact that I received a replacement board from ASUS RMA just 2 weeks ago with a serial ending in 0001 tells me new boards are still being made available, in house. Asus will not issue a refund. Only possible refund would be from the seller. I very highly doubt you would receive anything other than your original Z590-E (repaired) or a replacement Z590-E.

It is my opinion that when an updated BIOS is made available, the end user is not informed of all changes; just a highlight or 2 to interest the end user into installing it. The fact that you need support for 40 series graphics means you NEED at least 1701 installed.

EnvyYou
Level 7

So i tried the update one final time taking note of every BIOS setting.

Before upgrade - PTT was Enabled and after it was Disabled
Before upgrade - Trusted Computing Option Available after it is Missing
Before upgrade - Resize Bar Support was Disabled after it is Enabled.

Attempted the upgrade once by EZ Flash and once by Flashback both options give the same result.

Stuck on BIOS screen and wont boot and this only happens if i try enter the BIOS after the upgrade. Error Codes 99 or A2.

Any chance it could be  DisplayID issue or something similar ? ( I had applied GPU BIOS to my GFX card last year from ASUS Update: Compatibility for Monitor Display Port)

The error code 99 refers to Super IO Initialization and the A2 refers to IDE detect.    Sort of sounds like a drive or controller issue, but I need to see if I can verify what the Super IO Init actually is.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

EnvyYou
Level 7

Yes my motherboard manual gives the same info regarding those Q Codes. However my PC is fine and so are the drives as on other versions of BIOS they work fine, just have an issue with the versions mentioned.

ASUS also replied to my issue with the following -

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support. My name is Gavin, and I will be assisting you with your query.Thank you for your patience and please refer to the feedback below on this case.
Please be advised the most likely issue is the RAM. When the customer enters the BIOS after a flash, as required, the defaults are applied, one being auto detection of the RAM and some XMP profiles being applied. The issue is the customers RAM is not on the Qualified Vendor List. The closest model using the same timings and a 32GB stick supports only two sticks, not four, and runs at 1.35 Volts, not 1.45 Volts as per the customers. For modules that do run on four slots they have either much quicker memory timings at 1.35V, or slightly slower timings and at 1.2V. None run at 1.45V. This will be the most likely cause of the boot issue as the Intel microcode, which controls the Memory Compatibility through validation by Intel, will have been updated in the firmware.

The customer can RMA via the Reseller, where if faulty and unfixable they will replace and send back. However, if the issue is the RAM as suspected, a new board will have the same issues. We cannot get around the microcode or overide the supported RAM list.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

Can anyone comment on the above would it be true and if so is there a way around it by editing some settings.

We don't seem to be getting anywhere.   It could be a basic motherboard situation which cannot be fixed but all you can do now is tear the system down and start over.  

Some things in the Bios may have been changed, such as the CSM setting.  The Super I/O seems to relate to almost anything on the motherboard so possibly an insufficient power supply could be involved.

Does you motherboard have a separate manual for the Bios Settings?

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

EnvyYou
Level 7

Not sure if you saw my previous reply about what ASUS had sent me. In regards to the settings. the CSM Settings have not changed, the only ones that did were.

I have a 1000 Watt powersupply that is new, as far as stripping the system i ran the update to the BIOS with only 1 stick of RAM, CPU and SSD connected and it still failed.

ASUS said the following -

Please be advised the most likely issue is the RAM. When the customer enters the BIOS after a flash, as required, the defaults are applied, one being auto detection of the RAM and some XMP profiles being applied. The issue is the customers RAM is not on the Qualified Vendor List. The closest model using the same timings and a 32GB stick supports only two sticks, not four, and runs at 1.35 Volts, not 1.45 Volts as per the customers. For modules that do run on four slots they have either much quicker memory timings at 1.35V, or slightly slower timings and at 1.2V. None run at 1.45V. This will be the most likely cause of the boot issue as the Intel microcode, which controls the Memory Compatibility through validation by Intel, will have been updated in the firmware.

The customer can RMA via the Reseller, where if faulty and unfixable they will replace and send back. However, if the issue is the RAM as suspected, a new board will have the same issues. We cannot get around the microcode or overide the supported RAM list.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

If i go to the QVL of Gskill i can see its compatible there - https://imgur.com/a/trb5Y2V

Also would there be anything i can do to make this work ? IE adjust Ram timings ETC.

@EnvyYou wrote:

Not sure if you saw my previous reply about what ASUS had sent me. In regards to the settings. the CSM Settings have not changed, the only ones that did were.

The PTT and Trusted Computing stuff could well be responsible for a boot failure if your OS is expecting a firmware TPM and secure boot.  Resize BAR should be a good thing, but also shouldn't hurt to disable it for diagnostic purposes.  I suspect that the Trusted Computing option might appear after you enable PTT.  PTT, Trusted Computing, TPM, and Secure Boot are certainly worth a good look.  I'm on AMD, so can't say exactly which combination of settings is likely to do it on Intel for secure boot, but roughly speaking, PTT enabled, TPM enabled, Secure Boot enabled, OS type set to Windows, CSM disabled, any UEFI/legacy options set to UEFI.  Possibly also try resetting the TPM, if nothing else works (beware of the consequences of a TPM reset, such as loss of BitLocker keys, trust for Windows Hello / MS accounts being broken and requiring re-authentication, etc).

Shark007
Level 10

Only to inform, when I RMA'd my Z590-E it was because of HDD innitialization problems.

(HDD is refering to M.2 nvme devices)