cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog strix z490-i gaming new bios

francisackon
Level 7
Has anyone tried the new bios of ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING?
I did and upgrade to this new one and my pc kept restarting without stopping
until i did Bios flash back
Any help
73 REPLIES 73

scgt1
Level 8
Figures the board that came in the other day has some weird issue also. Don't know if it's related to 2301 bios and is natural or not from the TPM addition.
If it's booted from a cold boot it starts to boot then shuts off then actually starts up and goes into windows. Same thing happens with a reboot. It shuts down starts to boot and kills then boots into windows.

Can anyone confirm if this is related to the TPM security crap or does this board have some form of issue?

For the heck of it I jumped the cmos pins and went back through all the bios settings again just in case something was amiss but I saw nothing out of the norm in settings. So it's either more issues with 2301, it's natural with the TPM junk, or this board has some form of problem.

**UPDATE**
Used bios flash back and put the new board on 2201 and the double booting on restart and cold boot has stopped. So it's either a problem with 2301 or it's just the nature of the TPM being active and it's intended to do what was mentioned above. Currently I'm using bios flashback again with 2301 to see if it goes back to the double starting issue/intended scenario again. Will update my findings when it's done.

**2301 BIOS Flash Back UPDATE**
Sure enough it's 2301 that is causing the double booting on restart and from cold boot. It acts like if your setting a board up in the bios for the first time when upon saving and exiting it will partially boot, shut off, then boot up again. Same happens if say you change ram on a motherboard. Just for giving an example of what it's doing.

So now the question is this normal with the TPM addition and this is just part of the security junk or is there an issue with 2301 beyond the fact it doesn't support any version of Intel ME F/W past what is on the Asus support site......

scgt1 wrote:
Figures the board that came in the other day has some weird issue also. Don't know if it's related to 2301 bios and is natural or not from the TPM addition.
If it's booted from a cold boot it starts to boot then shuts off then actually starts up and goes into windows. Same thing happens with a reboot. It shuts down starts to boot and kills then boots into windows.

Can anyone confirm if this is related to the TPM security crap or does this board have some form of issue?

For the heck of it I jumped the cmos pins and went back through all the bios settings again just in case something was amiss but I saw nothing out of the norm in settings. So it's either more issues with 2301, it's natural with the TPM junk, or this board has some form of problem.

**UPDATE**
Used bios flash back and put the new board on 2201 and the double booting on restart and cold boot has stopped. So it's either a problem with 2301 or it's just the nature of the TPM being active and it's intended to do what was mentioned above. Currently I'm using bios flashback again with 2301 to see if it goes back to the double starting issue/intended scenario again. Will update my findings when it's done.

**2301 BIOS Flash Back UPDATE**
Sure enough it's 2301 that is causing the double booting on restart and from cold boot. It acts like if your setting a board up in the bios for the first time when upon saving and exiting it will partially boot, shut off, then boot up again. Same happens if say you change ram on a motherboard. Just for giving an example of what it's doing.

So now the question is this normal with the TPM addition and this is just part of the security junk or is there an issue with 2301 beyond the fact it doesn't support any version of Intel ME F/W past what is on the Asus support site......

damn, more problems huh?

If your only objective is to have win11 working, then this might help: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-reveals-how-to-bypass-its-own-system-requirements-for-windows-11/

You could just leave it at 2201.

As for me, I got this board in Q2 2020 and my warranty should be over. Even if it was covered, I also would not want to go through an RMA process for this issue because (1) 2201 is stable and i have a working PC and (2) I can wait for win11 to come to me.

And thanks for the detailed reply in the post before your last.

Mountainlifter wrote:
damn, more problems huh?

If your only objective is to have win11 working, then this might help: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-reveals-how-to-bypass-its-own-system-requirements-for-windows-11/

You could just leave it at 2201.

As for me, I got this board in Q2 2020 and my warranty should be over. Even if it was covered, I also would not want to go through an RMA process for this issue because (1) 2201 is stable and i have a working PC and (2) I can wait for win11 to come to me.

And thanks for the detailed reply in the post before your last.

LOL Yea more problems. At this point can't say I'm surprised.

I honestly don't care personally if it's win 11 ready as this build isn't for me. I don't feel comfortable selling whom ever the new owner will be a somewhat gimped system should they want to upgrade to 11.

FYI Asus boards carry a 3 year warranty if purchased new somewhere showing your purchase date. Otherwise they are serial based but still have a 3yr based on the serial number. Sometimes the warranty is longer off the serial number (they bake in shipping, warehouse, sell time, etc) vs a purchase receipt depending how recent your buying an item in relation to it's manufactured date. In other words you should have a ton of time left on your warranty. I totally get you not wanting to RMA it though. You can check the remaining serial based warranty here https://www.asus.com/us/support/warranty-status-inquiry/

All these Z490-I boards I've been going through though won't save the PTT setting in bios. It leads you to believe it's saving because on the save and reboot confirmation screen it shows the change on PTT from disabled to enabled so your thinking great that's what I wanted confirm. Computer reboots into windows off to windows update you go and BOOM not Win 11 ready. Ok WTF reboot back into bios back to the PTT setting and low and behold disabled. Yep nice little revolving door.

So with that said I'm pretty sure the registry edit won't work in this situation due to the bios not saving the setting of PTT to enable. Which means no TPM.

scgt1
Level 8
Well I finally discovered why 2201 wasn't Win 11 ready. For some reason that bios was changing the OS Type under secure boot to Other OS instead of Windows UEFI mode. Changing it to UEFI now shows it as Win 11 ready as to 2301 bios screw it! Asus has problems with it and I'm not going down that support back and forth copy and paste response while having a completely different rep after each email any more then I have already rabbit hole.

Yuniel
Level 10
i have asus maximus xii formula z490 i check version 14.1.53.1649
first before install windows i update the bios to last 2301 no problem , then i install windows 10 64 bit and then i update firmware to last version is available 14.1.53.1649 for this mobo , i also update the firmware of lan beacuse z490 chip intel lan have problem so i update firmware intel lan to I225-V version (3) , the only problem i have i cant install the driver lan normal i click but nothing hapenned in the settup asus , so i have to go device manager click on missing drive search manual and select folder of driver and then is install this the only problem
but i dont have any problem with the bios , boot or sometime like that also windows say my PC ready for win 11 , but i wont update win 11 for like 2 years probably
but yeap i hear the mobos z490 come with aloot problem idk why

Mountainlifter
Level 10
did anyone try the new 2403 BIOS? I will try it over the weekend possibly.

Mountainlifter wrote:
did anyone try the new 2403 BIOS? I will try it over the weekend possibly.

i have it installed.. no issues with it so far

danne_007 wrote:
i have it installed.. no issues with it so far

Thanks. Did you have the bootloop problem with 2301 and did 2403 resolve it?

Mountainlifter wrote:
Thanks. Did you have the bootloop problem with 2301 and did 2403 resolve it?

no i didnt have any problems with the previous bios

Mountainlifter
Level 10
I tested it. The new 2403 bios still has the bootloop problem. I guess that they still have not included support for the new ME firmware.