cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XIII HERO NO overclocking settings PLEASE

Lionhart27
Level 7
CPU- Intel 11th gen i9-11900K, RAM- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RGB 32GB (2x16), Cooler- Corsair Hydro H100i RGB, GPU - Founders Nvidia GF RTX3090 24GB, Corsair Gen4 2TB SSD, PSU- Corsair 1000w. Win11, Nvidia, Bios, Asus, ect, ALL latest Drivers. I play Microsoft Flightsim 2020 most of the time. I do play other graphics intensive games as well. Unfortunately, Flightsim does regularly shut down the PC, normally after 20 to 30 minutes, mainly on landing at scenery intensive airports. I have reported this to the MS Flightsim Forums, and many replies say it is the overclocking on the CPU and RAM which is causing the PC to shut down. No other game, sim or app shuts the PC down. I have been told most other games have limits that can work well with overclocking. Flightsim does not, and so if under intense graphics demands an overclocked CPU and RAM causes a shut down. So Flightsim is more stable with no overclocking. I am not sure if setting the Bios to Default would reset the overclocking to zero? Can anyone please inform me the zero OC settings for this motherboard Bios. Thank You
3 REPLIES 3

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
BIOS settings reset can help to solve stability issues (don't forget to check if RTX 3090 is in default settings too), however, usually unstable OC reboots PC or hang PC. If your system is shutting down it might be a power supply or overheating problem. How old is your Corsair power supply? Also, some older power supply models can turn off the system because RTX 3080 and 3090 are power hungry and it can trigger PSU buld-in protection. This is not because your PSU have not "enough watts" but because it can't handle fast power spikes and count them as short-circuit or over power which is trigger its protection and shut down PSU. If you test PSU and GPU separately on different PC, both will work as they should but together - not. My pal had this issue with RTX 3080 and 1000W Seasonic PSU. Both were brand new and pass all tests in different systems.
Anyway. Try to reset your motherboard BIOS settings. If this won't help - check CPU and GPU temperatures during your game sessions. If temperatures are fine. Then try to test your system with different PSU.

"Load optimised defaults" should be a very safe baseline, in most cases. You'll probably get some basic Intel core boosting, but all the heavy OC should be gone. XMP is a form of overclocking, but you can gain some confidence that your XMP profile isn't likely to be the problem by running a long soak test with MemTest86+. Your UEFI BIOS may have MemTest86+ built in, or you just download it and it will create a bootable USB stick to run from.

Murph_9000 wrote:
"Load optimised defaults" should be a very safe baseline, in most cases. You'll probably get some basic Intel core boosting, but all the heavy OC should be gone. XMP is a form of overclocking, but you can gain some confidence that your XMP profile isn't likely to be the problem by running a long soak test with MemTest86+. Your UEFI BIOS may have MemTest86+ built in, or you just download it and it will create a bootable USB stick to run from.

System should be tested without XMP and MemTest86+ is for babies. It can even not detect memory errors meanwhile software like TestMem5, OCCT with its RAM test or at least MemTest 7.0 will. Faster way to detect memory instability - run Linx or Prime95. I prefer Linx. It will show error or residual mismatch pretty fast. Next is TestMem5 with Anta777@Extreme profile.
Easiest user friendly way to test stability - OCCT https://www.ocbase.com