cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG ASUS Z490-I Strix has issues!

corneliusV1999
Level 7
System only stable with one DIMM installed, doesn't matter which RAM stick I use and doesn't matter which slot I use.
System unstable at XMP speeds, no matter how much I try to play with the BIOS settings. Have tried replacing RAM and PSU.

10700k, win10 64 bit, corsair RM 850x

A bunch of other people have experienced the same issue, and the only fix is to buy a different brand motherboard:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gvomjz/anyone_using_32gb_2ea_drams_on_z490_board_lga/
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118622-ROG-STRIX-Z490-I-GAMING-cannot-boot-with-32GB-x-2-R...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1202569-10900k-asus-z490-itx-32gb-2-lots-of-trouble/?tab=commen...
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/grqh8q/im_getting_occasional_bsods_and_failed_xtu_cpu/
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gvomjz/anyone_using_32gb_2ea_drams_on_z490_board_lga/ftnlq8a...

Hoping I can get attention from someone from ASUS here! Asus support has been very unhelpful!
Help please!
260 Views
123 REPLIES 123

All rights guys !
Just to confirm that update 2103 and XMP activated don't work.
System still freezes. That's very weird, because it worked 3 days with no problem. Magic ?
Asus is disapointing. I think this model has something wrong with it and like previous post said, it's a hardware problem, no BIOS/UEFI update will fix it.
So to resume the situation :
-some RAM models has issues with this mobo and cannot be exploited at full potential
-evan RAM listed on QVL, and then officially compatible with this mobo has issues...
hum...
This mobo definitively has issue... VERY DISAPOINTING from Asus !
My next PC won't have any asus product inside. So guys what alternative brand do you recommend ?

thedevilpacman wrote:
All rights guys !
Just to confirm that update 2103 and XMP activated don't work.
System still freezes. That's very weird, because it worked 3 days with no problem. Magic ?
Asus is disapointing. I think this model has something wrong with it and like previous post said, it's a hardware problem, no BIOS/UEFI update will fix it.
So to resume the situation :
-some RAM models has issues with this mobo and cannot be exploited at full potential
-evan RAM listed on QVL, and then officially compatible with this mobo has issues...
hum...
This mobo definitively has issue... VERY DISAPOINTING from Asus !
My next PC won't have any asus product inside. So guys what alternative brand do you recommend ?


I guess I am one of the lucky ones that had beta bios ver 2005 and now 2103 fix the restarts with xmp issue.

Have you tried enabling ptt yet for windows 11 compatibility? There are now 5 of of us on the Asus subreddit with this board where enabling ptt does not stick. Save changes and reboot and it goes back to disabled.

just upgraded the BIOS to 2201 last week and for the first time, i've been able to run on XMP 1 (3600 mhz) without having the system crash or reboot. did a couple of stress tests using 3D mark, Intel XTU etc. and have been playing CoD without any issues.

fingers crossed.

adrteo wrote:
just upgraded the BIOS to 2201 last week and for the first time, i've been able to run on XMP 1 (3600 mhz) without having the system crash or reboot. did a couple of stress tests using 3D mark, Intel XTU etc. and have been playing CoD without any issues.

fingers crossed.


Are you able to enable PTT? This is for Windows 11. There are 16 of us between here and reddit that have not been able to get the PTT enable to stick.

jmut13 wrote:
Are you able to enable PTT? This is for Windows 11. There are 16 of us between here and reddit that have not been able to get the PTT enable to stick.


PTT is sticking for me. On Windows 11 as well.

Logitrust
Level 7
Any news from Asus on this issue? I did purchase this MB (waiting for it to arrive via. post), but when reading this i really think I will RMA right away the shipping arrive on my doorstep.

thedevilpacman
Level 8
Updated to 2201.
Activated XMP just after : worked 4 days and stopped working today. Same situation as before. I really don't understand why.
PTT activation doesn't change anything.
XMP doesn't work even with 2201, no matter if PTT enabled or not.
Still a BIG problem with this mobo.

thedevilpacman wrote:
Updated to 2201.
Activated XMP just after : worked 4 days and stopped working today. Same situation as before. I really don't understand why.
PTT activation doesn't change anything.
XMP doesn't work even with 2201, no matter if PTT enabled or not.
Still a BIG problem with this mobo.


did you try XMP 1 or XMP 2? i've been stable on XMP 1 - 3600 since 2201 was released.

try XMP 1 - 3200. less aggressive timings.

adrteo wrote:
did you try XMP 1 or XMP 2? i've been stable on XMP 1 - 3600 since 2201 was released.

try XMP 1 - 3200. less aggressive timings.


Tried everything : XMP1.... XMP2.... manual settings... PTT enabled...
nothing works...
The strange thing, it works for 3 or 4 days then stop working... After every activation of XMP after update, it does that...
I change nothing inside Windows 10 : everything remains the same ! it's really really mysterious...

MrAgapiGC
Level 12
let me call my brother and ask. He has the z490-i, but i am sure is ok for now. i will check anyway. i will check back as soon i can. but he has not call.
Learn, Play Enjoy!