cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG ASUS Z490-I Strix has issues!

corneliusV1999
Level 7
System only stable with one DIMM installed, doesn't matter which RAM stick I use and doesn't matter which slot I use.
System unstable at XMP speeds, no matter how much I try to play with the BIOS settings. Have tried replacing RAM and PSU.

10700k, win10 64 bit, corsair RM 850x

A bunch of other people have experienced the same issue, and the only fix is to buy a different brand motherboard:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gvomjz/anyone_using_32gb_2ea_drams_on_z490_board_lga/
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118622-ROG-STRIX-Z490-I-GAMING-cannot-boot-with-32GB-x-2-R...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1202569-10900k-asus-z490-itx-32gb-2-lots-of-trouble/?tab=commen...
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/grqh8q/im_getting_occasional_bsods_and_failed_xtu_cpu/
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gvomjz/anyone_using_32gb_2ea_drams_on_z490_board_lga/ftnlq8a...

Hoping I can get attention from someone from ASUS here! Asus support has been very unhelpful!
Help please!
126 REPLIES 126

Same issue for me.
XMP activated : random freezes...
XMP disabled : stable...
ASUS needs definitively something to do something to fix this. This problem remembers me similar bug of nightmare I had long time ago with the Asus p4s8x mobo... Asus never fixed it to date...

Tested with Bios update version 2005 : still unstable… Impossible to activate XMP without random freezes

thedevilpacman wrote:
Tested with Bios update version 2005 : still unstable… Impossible to activate XMP without random freezes

Hi,

Try this :

- Go in your BIOS > Press F5 (Default) > Press F7 (Advanced Mode) > Extreme Tweaker tab :

Ai Overclock Tuner : XMP II
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement : Disabled

- Press F10 (Save & Exit)

Note :

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement Auto/Enabled : ASUS optimized core ratio
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement Disabled : Original core ratio from Intel

XMP I mode = ASUS optimized XMP profil
XMP II mode = Original XMP profil from memory stick manufacturer

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Try this :

- Go in your BIOS > Press F5 (Default) > Press F7 (Advanced Mode) > Extreme Tweaker tab :

Ai Overclock Tuner : XMP II
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement : Disabled

- Press F10 (Save & Exit)

Note :

thanks for the suggestion, MoKiChU! however, it's still unstable. i doubt this issue will ever be resolved. we have been through so many BIOS releases and this issue has yet to be rectified.

adrteo wrote:
thanks for the suggestion, MoKiChU! however, it's still unstable. i doubt this issue will ever be resolved. we have been through so many BIOS releases and this issue has yet to be rectified.

Other than components used in our systems could there be a difference in boards?

I updated my BIOS back in December I believe when the voltage cap was introduced and every BIOS update since and my system has remained stable running XMP at 3200MHz on a pair of HyperX Fury RGB 16GB modules (32GB Total) and it has actually given me confidence in the system to the point I finally overclocked my GPU and the system has not frozen/crashed or even had a hissy fit on boot.
I was contemplating on moving to the Strix Z590 when it comes out but I do not think I will as this now seems to work as it should have when purchased 6+ months ago.

Unfortunate situation for other users, but my issues seem to have been rectified now, 2 months and counting.

adrteo wrote:

I updated to the 2005 Bios yesterday and so far no problems. I had previously been on 0901 and all updates since release and could never run XMP. No errors, freezing, restarting so far. Crossing my fingers...

I've had issues on almost every version with 2x16GB 3600 CL14 XMP. 1005 seemed to show a decrease in random resets, and now after a week of 2005 I haven't seen any resets so far, and I've been running pretty memory intensive applications. We'll see, but at least there's been improvement...

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm experiencing the same issues. Disabling the second DRAM channel makes the system stable with XMP loaded.

thedevilpacman wrote:

in my opinion: this board has hardware flaws, so any new bios will not fix memory issue

Just did the update 2103 three days ago and reactivated XMP II inside UEFI.
Everything seemed to be ok and worked flawlessly ! I was happy, so I decided to go here to share my experience.
When I was writing this message, the system freezed 2 times.
This is my third attempt ! What a timing huh ? ha ha ha !
It look likes ASUS suceeded to bring life into theirs mobos.
Me : "GREAT ! Asus just fixed it ! I'll tell the community"
Z490-I : "No you won't! look !"
Well, I'm still running XMP activated, I give this mobo another chance...
Next freeze, I'll disable XMP...
Wait and see...