Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issues ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII Z490 APEX with RTX 4090

ELP333
Level 7
Hello everyone.

and sorry for my english

This is happening to me, I am seeing it in all the benchmarks for example of 3D MARK. And there is no Intel 11 series, which stands out with an RTX 4090 no matter how good the graphics silicon is or how dependent the GPU test is and not the micro. Up to 9900K on outdated Z390 with PCIE 3.0 do better.

I have this board together with a 11900KF OC at 5200MHZ, 32GB DDR4 at 4200MHZ, nvme, Super flower 1600W power supply etc. I have already tried two RTX 4090, an ASUS TUF GAMING OC and a GIGABYTE GAMING OC, and the same thing happens, both stock and doing OC so you put it at 3150 MHZ from core to graphics, the results are not consistent with the rest of microphones and platforms. It is clear that this micro is not a 12900K, and that it can bottleneck certain resolutions because the RTX 4090 is very powerful, but it is also clear that for whatever reason, I never had any problem squeezing my RTX 3090 and being able to compete in graphics dependency tests, such as Port Royal for example, with the other platforms even if they were more modern and yet with this graphic, I am losing at the same clocks, about 10% of the score even if we compare it with older platforms. Something that is not normal at all. I have tried everything, I have the latest bios, resizable Bar enabled, reinstalled win 11 EVERYTHING. But nothing, the result is still not consistent with either of the two graphics with the rest of the platforms, even older ones. Can someone give me a reason why this?

Thank you very much and greetings.
5 REPLIES 5

kvarq
Level 11
Every time you run a benchmark you get a different result. Sometimes, it can be night and day.
Similar to other VGA benchmarks, Port Royal is HIGLY temperature sensitive, long story short, if the card is cool, you have a higher frequency, more FPS hence higher score.
When OC-ing, once you find some stable values for power, voltages, frequencies etc it's always good to have some restarts before benchmarking, even shut down for a while your system.

I would run no later than W10 to have good results in benchmarks. Some tweaking (high performance profile, improving responsiveness etc) is also welcome.
Also, some basic settings in NVPanel are quite important for Port Royal, especially high performance for power management and textures.

It's also a good practice to update again your bios when installing a new VGA card.

That was the best stuff I could squeeze from my 3090 keeping its default AiO cooling:
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1438721

kvarq
Level 11
Every time you run a benchmark you get a different result. Sometimes, it can be night and day.
Similar to other VGA benchmarks, Port Royal is HIGLY temperature sensitive, long story short, if the card is cool, you have a higher frequency, more FPS hence higher score.
When OC-ing, once you find some stable values for power, voltages, frequencies etc it's always good to have some restarts before benchmarking, even shut down for a while your system.

I would run no later than W10 to have good results in benchmarks. Some tweaking (high performance profile, improving responsiveness etc) is also welcome.
Also, some basic settings in NVPanel are quite important for Port Royal, especially high performance for power management and textures.

It's also a good practice to update again your bios when installing a new VGA card.

That was the best stuff I could squeeze from my 3090 keeping its default AiO cooling:
I also had Apex XIII and 11900K. XIII & 10th was an epic fail, since bios was mostly optimized for 11th and 10th was not a priority at that time, and 11th was not that good in games and VGA benchmarks.
XIII & 11th is a dream indeed for DDR4 overclocking but in gaming in general it was a worse experience than 10th and Z490. The cross combinations XII & 11th and XIII & 10th were pretty garbage compared to 10th & Z490, which is why I'm still using this for my daily / gaming rig.

kvarq
Level 11

I also had Apex XIII and 11900K. XIII & 10th was an epic fail, since bios was mostly optimized for 11th and 10th was not a priority at that time.
11th was stable, but not that good in games and VGA benchmarks compared to 10th.
XIII & 11th is a dream indeed for DDR4 overclocking but in gaming in general it was a worse experience than 10th and Z490.
The cross combinations XII & 11th and XIII & 10th were pretty garbage compared to 10th & Z490, which is why I'm still using this for my daily / gaming rig.

kvarq
Level 11

I also had Apex XIII and 11900K.
XIII & 10th was an epic fail, since bios was mostly optimized for 11th and 10th was not a priority at that time.
11th was stable, but not that good in games and VGA benchmarks compared to 10th.
XIII & 11th is a dream indeed for DDR4 overclocking but in gaming in general it was a worse experience than 10th and Z490.
The cross combinations XII & 11th and XIII & 10th were pretty garbage compared to 10th & Z490, which is why I'm still using this for my daily / gaming rig.

Saltgrass
Level 13
You may want to take into account the 490 is not a PCIe 4 motherboard. The Z590 and beyond are. And the PCIe 4 did make a difference on my system.

Maybe the 11th Gen processor has some of those capabilities, but I was much happier with the Z590 and the 11th Gen processor.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200