cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Strix Z590-E Dead M.2 slot?

BamaInArk
Level 7
Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.
17 REPLIES 17

Mike43 wrote:
Doesn't z590 have 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes? That's 4 for the M2 SSD, and 16 for the GPU card. You should be able to use both at the same time, and get 16x on the GPU - right?

No.
The Pcie lanes are given by the intel 11th gen cpu that has 20 lanes. not the board

Note: the board read pcie4.0 on the gpu, but will run in 3.0 speed with 10th gen.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Ataemonus
Level 11
Lol, no.

I too have a z 590e motherboard the second slot not read with a 980pro 4 0. I9-11900k. Wii the bios correct this problem.

Kenrun wrote:
I too have a z 590e motherboard the second slot not read with a 980pro 4 0. I9-11900k. Wii the bios correct this problem.

there's a certain setting in the bios that allows the m.2_2 to work, but it will make your GPU run at x8 speeds. I think it's better off just using the first slot and the last two slots if you can.

i too have just noticed this as i just got my maximus xiii hero with i9 11900k cpu.. i have 4 m.2 slots on mb.. since im running a 11th gen cpu im able to use the m.2_1 slot.. and like was said if you enable the bios under advanced/onboard device config.. pcie to say pciex8+pciex8+ m.2_2 your x16 slot turns into a x8 slot.. so i put my other nvme drive in m.2_3.. i am posting my own thread on what im running into on my hero board.. adding cards disables all sorts of stuff.. mostly sata drives. but yes.. if you enable the m.2_2 slot your x16 turns into an x8 which for me was unacceptable since i just spent a ton of cash on a evga 3080ti ftw and didnt want it not running at what it is supposed to run at. i believe all the 590 boards are this way... hope that helped.

I have two M.2 drives. One has my OS and the other I use to house my game on it. I understand what is being said here, but I have to ask. If I put on OS in the 2nd slot for M.2 (my OS), and put my other M.2 in slot 3rd slot would this work. My GPU is a RT5500 XT. Even tho it's for a 16x lane, it operates at X8. The board I'm building is a Z590-e and the chip I have is the 11900K.
Thanks

Ataemonus
Level 11
You simply fail to understand how PCIe lanes allocation works.

mvallm
Level 8
BamaInArk wrote:
Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.

Hi,
I have the same motherboard (Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi) and the same CPU (i9-10850k)
My SDD M2 NVME (Corsair P3 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0) dont work on upper slots (M2_1 & M2_2), dont appears on BIOS and not appears on Window 10 install.
But, this SDD works OK intalled on M2_3 (I dont try, but I think SDD will work on M2_4 too)

I think, this behavoir is related to CPU being 10th gen (I think is not a bug)
I have tried many things to make SDD work on slots M2_1 and M2-2, but none works (Bios boot on Compatibility mode "CSM", install a dedicated GPU, config PCI-e lanes to allow M2, Etc ...)

Yes, I know my SDD is PCIe 4.0 and only will work in PCIe 3.0 mode (Because my CPU is 10th gen), but is the hardware I can buy in pandemic (not much availability)

Thanks to all replys on this thread.
No much info on this in the manual (Will be god is this is noted in mother manual)
I lost many time trying stuff.