cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XIII Hero Motherboard noise

DJBigMikeZ
Level 7
Hey All,

Recently purchased a Maximus XIII hero with 11900K. I realize the motherboard is making a constant noise around the CPU. Here's a video I tooK: https://youtu.be/RudxKKfITSw

It's pretty noticeable and occasionally it disappears for a period of time, but most of the time it's there. I have a custom water cooling set up and I know it's not the fan, pump or waterblck. (tested each individually)

Anyone knows where is this sound coming from? I thought the motherboard only has heatsinks and no moving parts...

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

DJBigMikeZ
Level 7
Here's a longer video from different angle: https://youtu.be/zd81x1b3nEw

Rocket Scientist wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123459-Fix-to-coilwhine-on-Maximus-Hero-XIII

Thanks. Saw this thread as well, I don't know if this is coil whine tho, not high pitch noise, sound very similar to fan noise....

Saltgrass
Level 13
Have you pinned down the origin of the noise to within a couple of inches? You appear to be focused on the CPU cooler but you say you have tested those individually so it can't be that..

Does anything make the sound vary? I might think the metal base you seem to have it on could amplify some sounds or vibrations.

As far as I can tell, my system is not making any strange sounds, but the glass case and cooling fans may be covering some sounds.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Have you pinned down the origin of the noise to within a couple of inches? You appear to be focused on the CPU cooler but you say you have tested those individually so it can't be that..

Does anything make the sound vary? I might think the metal base you seem to have it on could amplify some sounds or vibrations.

As far as I can tell, my system is not making any strange sounds, but the glass case and cooling fans may be covering some sounds.

Yeah, it's around the CPU area, I think it might be the VRM. There's a waterblock on the CPU and that makes almost no noise at all. I've tried every setting in BIOS and nothing changed, even exchanged a new board and the noise is still there. It did disappear a couple of times for no reason.

Does your VRM make any sound?

DJBigMikeZ wrote:
Yeah, it's around the CPU area, I think it might be the VRM. There's a waterblock on the CPU and that makes almost no noise at all. I've tried every setting in BIOS and nothing changed, even exchanged a new board and the noise is still there. It did disappear a couple of times for no reason.

Does your VRM make any sound?

I took the glass off one side of the case so I could hear anything showing up. I can hear different sounds, but nothing that rises to the level of distracting. It almost seems like I can even hear a change when the Drive light is flashing. The loudest noise I hear is the Water CPU cooler pump changing speeds..

I never heard any Coil Whine as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried booting to a flash drive and see if it makes any difference?

Any chance the Memory could be involved? Using some insulator to hold down any part of the motherboard make any difference?

Are you overclocking?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I took the glass off one side of the case so I could hear anything showing up. I can hear different sounds, but nothing that rises to the level of distracting. It almost seems like I can even hear a change when the Drive light is flashing. The loudest noise I hear is the Water CPU cooler pump changing speeds..

I never heard any Coil Whine as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried booting to a flash drive and see if it makes any difference?

Any chance the Memory could be involved? Using some insulator to hold down any part of the motherboard make any difference?

Are you overclocking?

I tried a different set of Memory and it's the same, so annoying... I typically overlock a bit but I tried to just run at stock clock and that didn't work. I think mostly like this is coming from VRM but just can't reduce the noise at all.

DJBigMikeZ wrote:
I tried a different set of Memory and it's the same, so annoying... I typically overlock a bit but I tried to just run at stock clock and that didn't work. I think mostly like this is coming from VRM but just can't reduce the noise at all.

You can 100% remove this coilwhine noise. Go to Advanced section of UEFI BIOS, find the acostic options in the menu there, and set the following actions, as per mine in the picture below.

Did you try to change a power mode of your old pomp from AUTO to DC or PWM?