cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XIII (13) Hero W/ i9-10850K Issues

GYGaming
Level 7
Hey GYGaming here! I'm working on a PC and I'm running into a unique problem where i can't get further than signing in and windows will freeze sometimes even in the windows install area it just freezes. My setup includes

CPU - Intel i-9 10850K
Motherboard - Maximus XIII (13) Hero
RAM - 32GB(4×8GB) Vengeance rgb Pro
CPU Cooler - Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM 240mm
Power Supply - Corsair -RM1000x
Internal SSD - Samsung Evo Plus
3 chassis fans with a Corsair commander pro and RGB Hub
I've tried bios version 1402 and now I'm trying version 1202 to see if that might fix the issue(it didn't)

Startup repair can't find a solution and everytime i try and install either the initial windows update after booting into Windows or the armoury crate install i have a whole system freeze where the mouse stops responding as well as the screen and keyboard. I'm also to understand that the bios needs a specific set of settings if I'm going to be running a 10th gen processor like i am in this build, if anyone could help me navigate these settings again that would be very helpful i feel like I've exausted all of my tests already. The previous settings for my bios that were fuctional for almost a year and half are suddenly not working anymore it would seem. I would appreciate any sort of assistance thank you in advance
5 REPLIES 5

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
Hard locks are tough ones.

I will cover a few basics.
1. Stick to the latest firmware as it is the FIRST thing ASUS will require you do before they will troubleshoot it.
2. Check all your motherboard connections and perhaps move your RAM around and reseat them in the sockets. Try it with just two memory chips then if you have problems still try the other two to rule out bad memory.
3. Check for bent CPU pins. No accusations here, I had one myself and I have installed hundreds of processors. Don't try to fix it like I did. I just made it far worse. RMA it.
4. Make sure you don' have too much or too little heat sink material. And that you are not using some of the newer metallic materials. Yes, they work better but if there is spillage it's a mess and they tend to corrode the heat sink.
5. Be sure to install all the drivers off the main website and not off the Windows updates. Have the drivers on your thumb drive before you install Windows and disconnect from any LAN until those drivers are installed.
6. If you have a GPU, get the latest drivers from the manufacturer, not ASUS.
7. Pull the hardware down to the bare minimum you need to install the OS. This goes along with the two memory chips and also remove any GPU , hard drives that are not used for the OS installation. Default bios settings should be fine in most cases except RAID but that is clearly not the problem.
8. After you get Windows installed and all the drivers are installed, reconnect to the web and do all Windows updates till there are no more. Then back up the OS so you can restore it at any time. I recommend AOMEI as it's free and easy. It will come in handy for troubleshooting.
9. Make sure you get all the Armory Crate updates. Why they don't automatically update this software I don't know but I just solved a number of recent problems by updating it today which I why I saw your post.
10. And yeah, check your mouse batteries if you have a wireless.

Best next bet is to call ASUS.
They are not too bad but you are not likely to get it fixed on the first call as their first tier people are not well trained.

Appreciate the quick response fam! I'll try with just 2 ram sticks and I'll also take out the gpu instead of just unplugging it. Could work. Also the cpu hasn't been moved since it was installed and it worked fine for around 4 bios updates so like a year and half ish. But again thank you for your time! Also if anyone can give me the proper bios settings to run this 10th gen that would be super helpful. If not I'll try to contact Asus.

kvarq
Level 11
assuming that all the power cables are connected properly and ram is sitting well, go with minimum bios customizations, preferably don't OC the processor yet, and more importantly, DROP the xmp for a while (don't activate it), see how it goes

If there are no errors, assuming the ram is alright, you could try some older bios versions, maybe 0902 or 1007, but good luck with that, XIII is not going well with 10th & 32 GB over 3200MHz. Freezes, infinite loops, sudden shutdowns and so on.
I really tried for over three months stabilizing XIII and 10900K, after seeing other users having the same issue, I just gave up and bought Z490. But using an old bios, prior the 11th odyssey, to be stable.
It's all because 11th, they probably should do two bios versions. They also broke Z490 because of 11th.

PS: deactivate asus create and AS media from bios.
Also, I'm not updating firmware, since it's 98% security-related and little by little performance is lost over time. Sometimes even stability, see 14.1.65.1969 loop issues.

kvarq
Level 11
assuming that all the power cables are connected properly and ram is sitting well, go with minimum bios customizations, preferably don't OC the processor yet, and more importantly, DROP the xmp for a while (don't activate it), see how it goes

If there are no errors, assuming the ram is alright, you could try some older bios versions, maybe 0902 or 1007, but good luck with that, XIII is not going well with 10th & 32 GB over 3200MHz. Freezes, infinite loops, sudden shutdowns and so on.
I really tried for over three months stabilizing XIII and 10900K, after seeing other users having the same issue, I just gave up and bought Z490. But using an old bios, prior the 11th odyssey, to be stable.
It's all because 11th, they probably should do two bios versions. They also broke Z490 because of 11th.

PS: deactivate asus crate (it's needed just for that AI suite bloatware) and AS media from bios.
Also, I'm not updating firmware, since it's 98% security-related and little by little performance is lost over time. Sometimes even stability, see 14.1.65.1969 loop issues.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I would uninstall amroury crate and set all bios settings to default for now. Disconnect all USB devices and see if it will boot without freezing. Try booting with only one stick of memory and if a no go, test the other three sticks and slots individually.
What changes (if any) were made just prior to having this issue?
How old is your Corsair PSU?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601