cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XII Extreme - "This file is not a proper bios" - Bios Rollback

theotorm
Level 9
Hi everyone, currently on my maximus xii extreme I had the bios v.* 1003. I wanted to go back to the previous version 0901. I correctly formatted the usb key and renamed the file to .cap.* When I enter EZ-Flash and ask to read the file I get this error: "This File is not a proper bios." I can't go back!* I tried to download other earlier versions too (0804-0707 ... etc ..) ... nothing always has the same message!* Instead I tried to put the latest bios beta 2004 version and install it without problems!* I can't go back!
20 REPLIES 20

hawkhandler wrote:
Unfortunately following the exact steps above and on the ASUS site still do not work for me.

What happens? Try a different USB stick? There have been reports of some USB compatibility issues I have seen in the past.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
What happens? Try a different USB stick? There have been reports of some USB compatibility issues I have seen in the past.

bios flashback light flashes then stays solid. i wait a long time...nothing happens...i turn on the computer and clearly the BIOS wasn't updated and i didn't interrupt it either.

i will try another usb stick but i'll have to go get one...damn

hawkhandler wrote:
bios flashback light flashes then stays solid. i wait a long time...nothing happens...i turn on the computer and clearly the BIOS wasn't updated and i didn't interrupt it either.

i will try another usb stick but i'll have to go get one...damn

Try loading Default Settings in your BIOS before running Flashback Tool.

I tried several flash drives, and settings and don't remember if I was in Default Settings when it worked.

Braegnok wrote:
Try loading Default Settings in your BIOS before running Flashback Tool, could save you a trip to the store.

I tried several flash drives, and settings and don't remember if I was in Default Settings when it worked, but it's worth a try before buying a new drive.

Tried with default settings first. Didn't work. I'll get a new stick tomorrow.

hawkhandler wrote:
Tried with default settings first. Didn't work. I'll get a new stick tomorrow.

I did some more testing and it seems the USB drive type, size, and the partition table used is a factor.

Best option that worked every time first try was cheep SamData USB flash drive 8GB USB 2.0 memory stick $9.99 for a pack of three on Amazon. These drives do not have any data encryption/protection and are FAT32 factory default drive format using MSDOS (MBR) partition table, and in new condition worked first time with no issues,.. but the catch is if the drive was used and then reformatted on my Windows PC it would not work, perhaps Windows 10 defaults to GPT partition table when reformatting the USB drive, I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but I tested several reformatted drives and none of them worked. Only the new drives worked on my board.

You can restore your USB flash drive back to factory FAT32 partition table using command prompt : https://www.pendrivelinux.com/restoring-your-usb-key-partition/

Snacko
Level 7
Would clearing the CMOS help?
Intel I9-10850k / Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero / G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 / Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU Cooler 360MM
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC / Corsair 850watt CMPSU-850TX / 2 x M.2 (1 TB / 2 TB) EVO Plus/ /2x SanDisk 250gb SSDs (Raid0 total 500gb) / WD 2TB 3D Blue SSD

Saltgrass
Level 13
What do you mean you renamed the file to .cap? If you are using EZ Flash, that is already set on the actual file name.

Why are you changing the Bios so much? I haven't had problems with any of them.. except 2004, which would not install when first released but was corrected later in the day.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I'm having the exact same problem with a Z490-E. Were you able to find a solution?

Braegnok
Level 14
theotorm wrote:
Hi everyone, currently on my maximus xii extreme I had the bios v.* 1003. I wanted to go back to the previous version 0901. I correctly formatted the usb key and renamed the file to .cap.* When I enter EZ-Flash and ask to read the file I get this error: "This File is not a proper bios." I can't go back!* I tried to download other earlier versions too (0804-0707 ... etc ..) ... nothing always has the same message!* Instead I tried to put the latest bios beta 2004 version and install it without problems!* I can't go back!

I just used the BIOS Flashback tool this morning on Maximus XII Extreme, successfully flashing from BIOS 2004 back to BIOS 1003.

I'm not sure if all the steps I used matter, or if USB drive size/type matters.

I used a new 8GB drive formatted to FAT32.

I rolled back Intel IME driver from Version 14.1.51.1528 release date 2021/01/08 to Version 14.0.45.1389V2.1 release date 2020/10/29.

The first few times I tried flashing back it did not work, I attempted several more times with same unsuccessful results, than rolled back IME driver, changed USB flash drives.

Hope this helps, good luck.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Windows IME driver doesn't matter with flashback. BIOS flashback doesn't use the current BIOS or Windows at all. It is a small independent firmware program that understands FAT32 USB and how to flash the BIOS firmware file, that's it. It must have been something else that was preventing you from flashing.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case