New bios for the maximus Hero XIII has been released today:

ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO BIOS 1202
"1.Improve system performance.
2.Fixed fan control issue
3.improve system stability
4.update CPU microcode
5.update to MemTest86 ver.9.2 build 2000
6.improve DRAM compatibility

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/helpdesk_manual
29 REPLIES 29

Does anyone use the latest BIOS v1202 on Windows 10? The PTT setting for TPM is suddenly switching to enabled whatever I set, as has been reported with the BIOS version 1007 here months ago. Does anyone see the same when on Windows 10?

Saltgrass
Level 13
This version and the one before, at least where modified to make them compatible with Win 11. A Win 10 system will boot if the TPM is enabled, but Win 11 may not.

The same with the CSM. It originally was set to enabled by default and was changed to disabled due to Win 11 restrictions. Again, Win 10 will boot normally with that if you are running a UEFI install.

I have added several settings into the Favorite section so I can find them easily after Bios updates. The XMP setting is another one I have to check.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
A Win 10 system will boot if the TPM is enabled, but Win 11 may not.

What?

Nevermind ... I understand that the setting is supposed to be enabled by default, because of Win11, but thats not what I was saying. I have updated my BIOS to v1202, set TPP to disabled and had my machine running like that for 2 weeks. Suddenly the setting swapped itself to "enabled" and can't be changed back to "disabled". It just reverts back to enabled on its own. Like why even leave a setting in BIOS if you don't allow it to be changed ffs?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I am not sure if what you are seeing is the Bios itself or perhaps even Windows. There is a firmware device listed in the Device Manager and that might be able to change certain Bios settings.

I will look through my Bios settings to see if I can find anything that might be relevant.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I too do not know why you are having this issue. I just finished building my system a couple of weeks ago and installed a fresh copy of Win11. I did notice that Asus released several updates to drivers and firmware for our Hero 13 mb, so you may want to go make sure you have all the latest and test again.

Saltgrass wrote:
I am not sure if what you are seeing is the Bios itself or perhaps even Windows. There is a firmware device listed in the Device Manager and that might be able to change certain Bios settings.

I will look through my Bios settings to see if I can find anything that might be relevant.

Under Advanced, besides the menu for enabling/disabling PTT under PCH-FW Configuration, there is a separate section for the TPM module, which I set to disabled. Win10 is still showing that I'm eligible to upgrade to Windows 11, I guess since PTT is forced to enabled.

optiman wrote:
I too do not know why you are having this issue. I just finished building my system a couple of weeks ago and installed a fresh copy of Win11. I did notice that Asus released several updates to drivers and firmware for our Hero 13 mb, so you may want to go make sure you have all the latest and test again.

You can't reproduce it using Windows 11, since that needs you to have PTT set to enabled at all times. The only way to reproduce this is using Windows 10 I guess.

Saltgrass
Level 13
You are aware the board has an option for a discreet TPM device? I will assume you don't have one so the setting may not matter.

The PTT is a software alternative and is what I use for Win 11. Right now my system shows the PTT enabled and the other section shows a TPM device was found and it does show as enabled also. Since I do not have a discreet card, it must be referring to the PTT version.

So I am thinking, the setting may be due to some combination of settings or maybe Windows is re-enabling the PTT option.

But I do understand why you believe you should be able to disable both versions, if you don't want that security.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
You are aware the board has an option for a discreet TPM device? I will assume you don't have one so the setting may not matter.

The PTT is a software alternative and is what I use for Win 11. Right now my system shows the PTT enabled and the other section shows a TPM device was found and it does show as enabled also. Since I do not have a discreet card, it must be referring to the PTT version.

So I am thinking, the setting may be due to some combination of settings or maybe Windows is re-enabling the PTT option.

But I do understand why you believe you should be able to disable both versions, if you don't want that security.

Yes I know that there is another submenu dedicated to TPM, aside the PCH-FW Advanced BIOS menu and I have set both PTT and TPM to disabled. Its just that the PTT setting gets enabled after every exit from BIOS and in that case, Windows 10 continues to recommend Win11 update as it probably thinks that the software TPM is good enough?

I'm on v0902 and I'm correctly recognized as non-eligible for upgrade. When I was on v1202, even with TPM disabled, the PTT was enabled and Win10 was showing me I'm eligible for 11.

Bronson
Level 7
soo.. nobody tested the performance before and after?

Bronson
Level 7
So i did some test now, if anybody cares 😉
Same settings, everything is the same but the Bios version. the numbers speak for themself, there is a minimal increase in performance :cool: