New bios for the maximus Hero XIII has been released today:

ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO BIOS 1202
"1.Improve system performance.
2.Fixed fan control issue
3.improve system stability
4.update CPU microcode
5.update to MemTest86 ver.9.2 build 2000
6.improve DRAM compatibility

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/helpdesk_manual
29 REPLIES 29

sl910 wrote:
So far, so good...(I cross my fingers)

-Installed + F5 (defaults)
-Disabled Armoury Crate
-Disabled Wifi and BT (useless in my case)
-Everything else, default, i.e. auto

I have a few remarks:

-This BIOS is dated of october 27th. Why more than 2 months before publication (december 28th). With the previous Bios (1007), the file was dated july 13 and the publication occured on august 3rd.

- The CPU microcode has been upgraded from version 40 to version 50. Anyone knows what can be the differences ?
- The EC version has also changed, from MBEC-RKL-0215 to version MBEC-RKL-0217. Any idea ?

Best regards

sl910

Bios v1202 date is listed as 12/28/21 under the M13Hero
I do not know why they updated the microcode or what changes were made?
Not sure if the updated EC version has anything to do with it but I am still getting a ton of ACPI event ID 15 WARNINGS In event viewer:
The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

@Seth - I noticed my 11900k SP dropped about 10 points also with this new version bios. From mid 80's to I think 76. Well its good to know Im not the only one and its not my CPU degrading from running it at 1.50v+ 24/7 or something like that lol. On the other hand Im not sure how that benefits anybody to simply
dump everybodys SP score? (assuming it happened to more people than just us two).

I really wish Asus would give us a more detailed changelog for Bios'. I mean pasting a "Improved system stability" on every new bios & giving
the user no detail benefits nobody.
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

sdmf74 wrote:
Bios v1202 date is listed as 12/28/21 under the M13Hero
I do not know why they updated the microcode or what changes were made?
Not sure if the updated EC version has anything to do with it but I am still getting a ton of ACPI event ID 15 WARNINGS In event viewer:
The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

@Seth - I noticed my 11900k SP dropped about 10 points also with this new version bios. From mid 80's to I think 76. Well its good to know Im not the only one and its not my CPU degrading from running it at 1.50v+ 24/7 or something like that lol. On the other hand Im not sure how that benefits anybody to simply
dump everybodys SP score? (assuming it happened to more people than just us two).

I really wish Asus would give us a more detailed changelog for Bios'. I mean pasting a "Improved system stability" on every new bios & giving
the user no detail benefits nobody.

I have also those ACPI warning events. Looks like it happens when i use HWinfo64. I rolled back to 0902 , ultra stable with ABT enabled at 5.1ghz ( all cores)
Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

I updated from 1107 to 1202 (Prime-A).

1. ACPI-Events: I had this with 1107 and all so with 1202 (when i run HWInfo or Aida64 for example)
2. PCH-Temp: Didnt change from 1107 to 1202
3. CPU-SP of my i9-11900k changed from 85 (1107) to 76 (1202)

System runs perfect on both versions (same settings), so i will stay at 1202

74lobster
Level 10
I own an Asus Maximus XIII Hero mobo and this new bios version 1202 seems to be very unstable, mostly if you try to overclock the mobo.

I have installed Windows 11 Professional and with some AI overclock the system crash with blue screen errors, or simply won't reboot when you try to do this: the system won't boot and the screen remains black, until you disconnect the power line, and then the system boot showing bios error and you must press F1 to change some settings to fix the error.

Someone has similar problems?

Thanks in advance.
74lobster

74lobster wrote:
I own an Asus Maximus XIII Hero mobo and this new bios version 1202 seems to be very unstable, mostly if you try to overclock the mobo.

I have installed Windows 11 Professional and with some AI overclock the system crash with blue screen errors, or simply won't reboot when you try to do this: the system won't boot and the screen remains black, until you disconnect the power line, and then the system boot showing bios error and you must press F1 to change some settings to fix the error.

Thanks in advance.

I just finished building my new system and it's running memtest now with zero errors. I'll be OC and installing Win11 soon, so I will see if I have the same issues you have.

I haven't upgraded the bios yet, but that is next.

So did this new fw run ok without OCing? If yes, what OC have you tried, or are you using Ai?

optiman wrote:
I just finished building my new system and it's running memtest now with zero errors. I'll be OC and installing Win11 soon, so I will see if I have the same issues you have.

I haven't upgraded the bios yet, but that is next.

So did this new fw run ok without OCing? If yes, what OC have you tried, or are you using Ai?

I reverted back to the 1007 bios version and I had not bluescreen anymore or problems with uefi.

I had this problems also without overclock.

At a certain point I was not able to access the bios anymore and the pc was unusable.

I had to remove the battery to reset the cmos and access the bios again.

I don't recommend the 1202 version of the bios.

Bye
74lobster

Given mine is a new build with no data to lose, I'm going to give it a try.

Anyone out there using this new fw on this same mb with success?

optiman wrote:
Given mine is a new build with no data to lose, I'm going to give it a try.

Anyone out there using this new fw on this same mb with success?

I have the Maximus XIII Hero with the new bios 1202 and I have not had any troubles. No bluescreen. Works as well as 1007 worked before that. I've had it in for about a week.

Great to hear! Did you OC your system as well, again with no issues?

74lobster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have a Maximus XIII Hero and the new bios is working perfectly fine (although still on windows 10). I would NOT recommend using AI overclock.

I rekeyed all my same overclocks from the previous bios into 1202.
1. 52x all core
2. 53x4 / 52x4
3. 54x3 / 53x5 / 52x8 (1.5v)

And all three overclocks are just as stable as they were on the previous bios.

I did have a similar issue for a while where after I rebooted my PC I would get a black screen on both monitors then the pc would reboot again on its own. If you are still getting black screens I would:

1: completely remove Armory Crate with AI Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller (if you use revo make sure to only delete the bold black registry entries after it scans for leftovers).

2.if still getting black screens raise your SA and VCCIO mem oc voltages and maybe even dram voltage slightly. And test. I'm guessing this will solve your problem!

3. Still having black screens then please just do a manual ADAPTIVE overclock, do not use AI OC. Follow these instructions and I guarantee you will fix the issue (unless it's a windows 11 problem but I doubt it).

What ram kit are you using and are you using xmp or manually overclocking the ram? what voltages are set for the 3 above voltages?

The only issue I'm still having that I cant figure out is If I leave hwinfo64 running I will notice that my cpu is momentarily hitting voltages higher than what I set in the bios by 100mv-130mv Its only noticeable by looking at the max vcore column in hwinfo64. For instance I have vcore set to 1.50v and my max voltage shows 1.630v after the pc is running for a while. While under load its much less though like 1.43v.

Anyone else noticing any voltage overshoot with 11900k???
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA