cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 drive not seen by Z590-E in the PCIe 4.0 slots

Mike43
Level 7
Hi,

I recently purchased the Z590-E motherboard. Overall I'm very happy with it, but there's issue I can't figure out.

I have a Samsung 980 Pro M2 drive, but for some reason the motherboard won't recognize the drive when put in the upper slot that support PCIe 4.0, ie. the M2_2 slot (or M2_1 for that matter).

However, the M2 drive is detected, when inserted into the M2_4 slot. However, this one does not support PCIe 4.0. I use a 10600K CPU as a placeholder, until I can purchase the 11900K. But as long as the PCIe 4.0 slots don't work, I can't get any benefits from my PCIe 4.0 M2 drive.

Is there a setting in the bios I've overlooked, or is this a bug in the bios?

Thanks! :)*
15 REPLIES 15

I was watching a youtube vid and seen a guy had to go into the BIOS and go to Advanced - Onboard devices configuration - CPU PCIE Configuration mode then change that to 'PCIEX16_1 + M.2_2'

This will maybe allow the board to use the m2.2 slot and detect your drive. It will still be in PCIE 3.0 mode however due to your CPU. I didnt try this as I cant be bothered switching my boot drives around...

pmlfrew wrote:
I was watching a youtube vid and seen a guy had to go into the BIOS and go to Advanced - Onboard devices configuration - CPU PCIE Configuration mode then change that to 'PCIEX16_1 + M.2_2'

This will maybe allow the board to use the m2.2 slot and detect your drive. It will still be in PCIE 3.0 mode however due to your CPU. I didnt try this as I cant be bothered switching my boot drives around...

Sorry to bring this back to life. But after trying to figure out why my 2nd m.2 wasnt even being found. this did the trick. Thank you.

Gunfur wrote:
Sorry to bring this back to life. But after trying to figure out why my 2nd m.2 wasnt even being found. this did the trick. Thank you.

But the gpu drops to 8x. please check And If you have a nvme in M2_3 or 4 will drop to 4X
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Saltgrass
Level 13
I added something to my post and the comments about your specs were not meant for you.

Maybe the fact that last M.2 slot supports SATA means it has connections for a PCIe 4 drive.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
PLease note
Z590 (in our case the E) (i use a 10850k) on 10th gen cpu M2_1 Will not work and will be disable for 10th. M2_2 is disable in bios. If active the share bandwhit with PCie16x 1. Use M2_3 and 4(enable in bios for Pcie for speed )

the manual did mention, but is incomple. You can check manual for the hero z390. Is not the board. is how the Intel chipset works. Since 10th. Once you add the 11th intel cpu, the M2_1 will become active. And that is on the manual. NOt perse but is there

Also just in case. on 3000 and AMD newer cards series gpu, on cpuz will read Pcie Express 4.0 BUT the link will still be 3.0. the 10fps boot will work perfect (rebar) and only make it active once the nvidia or amd drivers are added. That will also have issues IF you have 3.0 risers. so be on the look.

Once you add a 11th gen, all ports (pcie 16 1 and M2_1) will become active and on gen4 and appear GEN 4 in pcie and other places aside other menus for those (i9 )
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Tritom
Level 7
MrAgapiGC
Genius!... It was what I was looking for so much and in several videos it was not explained so well. I was already thinking that I had bought something that does not work. Thank you. I will take your recommendations into account when assembling them.I plan to use a WD500GB Blue SATA SSD only for windows 10 and some programs, then the Nvme M2_1 and M2_2 for renderings and the M2_3 and 4 in RAID 0 for other things, can my Asus Z590E work like this with my 11700K? Greetings.