cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[M12E] [3090 Strix OC] Video Q-LED on: How to figure out why?

martine-dee
Level 12
Hello again. I hope that everyone over here is doing well.

Note: this may sound like a question about the graphics card, but it really is about the mobo. I considered that when deciding to post here.

I've just run through another round of debugging issues with my 3090 last week, just like the previous time I was testing its peak performance.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124770-Power-8-Pins-Which-is-Which-in-GPU-Z-(e-g-ROG-Strix...

Well, this time an issue is reported by the mobo through its white Q-LED (video error). The LED remains white while the PC seems to operate normally. This is intermittent, and can happen either on the first boot after shutdown or after a restart. The LED stays on, however. So, again, I was able to see image, play games etc. Nothing seemed unusual during usage.

Again, I turned to GPU-Z, which showed unusually high voltage (12.2 V as opposed to ever-constant 12.1 V) on the pin #3 (the farthest one from the GPU), and disproportionally high wattage (30 Watts vs. 8 and 12 Wats on pins #1 and #2). Uh oh. So, I reseated this power pin (and others too), after which its voltage and wattage got in the line with the other two pins. And I haven't had white Q-Led so far.

This is all empirical work... look at this, look at that, figure out what stands out... etc. I wonder whether there is a reporting from the mobo about why, from its perspective, it has a warning LED on. Perhaps it wouldn't be a diagnosis, but I would like to know what the mobo sees that makes it keep a warning LED on. Thanks
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
1 REPLY 1

martine-dee
Level 12
So, yeah, that with the cable seems to have solved it. Sheesh.
In any case, I probably should take it all apart and put it together again. It could have also been loose cable somewhere else. My box has so many cables.
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating