cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install NVME SSD with own heatsink on an Apex XIII mainboard?

martin-m
Level 7
Hello!

I have the follow problem:
I want to install an new NVME SSD (Corsair Force Series MP600 Pro XT) with and special integrated heatsink. So I'm able to remove the original heatsink from the M.2_1 slot of my Apex XIII mainboard but it seems to be a special screw holder for the Asus heatsink and this seems to be not compatible when you want to use an SSD without Asus original motherboard heatsink.

Any Ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
There is usually a standoff that can be unscrewed from the motherboard and moved to different holes to accommodate different length SSDs. If you cannot use what is already installed on the motherboard check the accessories to see if what you need is there.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Not in my case. The only screw which is working, is the screw of the original heatsink. But this screw is to long.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
According to the MB spec, it comes with:

1 x M.2 SSD screw package(s). It is not held down by the MB heatsink screw. You'll need a standoff between the motherboard and the screw if one already isn't screwed into the board. There are three holes to accommodate various length nvme drives. The standoff may be screwed into a hole that isn't appropriate for the length of your drive, so you would have to move it.

The diagram of the motherboard illustrates standard m.2 slots and holes to screw the m.2 standoff in.

The m.2 nvme drive you have looks to have standard mounting.

If the nvme drive is one-sided, that is, no chips on the bottom side, you'll need to install the provided pad. between the drive and motherboard.

What am I missing? What are you missing? Maybe a photo would help.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

I cannot post photo cause mainboard is mounted now.

The problem is:
The M.2_1 interface of the Maximus XIII Apex mainboard ist not designd to use an (2280) SSD without the ASUS motherboard heatsink.
The SSD is hold down by the heatsink and his screws. For shorter SSD they are screws and holes but not for a full-lenght 2280.

You cannot use standard nvme screws and screw holders.

Braegnok
Level 14
Hello martin-m,

The quickest solution is to simply remove the factory heatsink & tray from your MP600 Pro XT drive.

Install the bare drive into motherboard M.2 slot, and use the motherboard heatsink as it's intended.

The factory heatsink snaps on tray with the drive sandwiched between, and is easy to remove by pushing in on locking tabs, pulling apart.

MP600 Pro XT with heatsink & Tray installed.

Push in on locking tabs, and the heatsink lifts off tray.

Bare drive after removing heatsink & tray.

Braegnok wrote:
Hello martin-m,

The quickest solution is to simply remove the factory heatsink & tray from your MP600 Pro XT drive.

Install the bare drive into motherboard M.2 slot, and use the motherboard heatsink as it's intended.

The factory heatsink snaps on tray with the drive sandwiched between, and is easy to remove by pushing in on locking tabs, pulling apart.

MP600 Pro XT with heatsink & Tray installed.

Push in on locking tabs, and the heatsink lifts off tray.

Bare drive after removing heatsink & tray.

did you use a tool to push all the tabs? I'm pushing and don't feel any movment?