cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNA device

sl910
Level 7
Hi,

I have just finished to built my new setup based on a M13H, bios 0704. I don't understand the aim of the setting "GNA device" in the Bios . Is it useful ? Does it need to be completed by a Windows driver ?

By the way, after several days, I can say that my system is really very stable (Prime 95, several hours of MSFS, Aida burn test,...) but I had to disable HT. Otherwise I had several and almost regular clock.watchdog.timeout BSOD's.

Resize bar and ABT are on and fonctional

Regards

sl91
8 REPLIES 8

sdmf74
Level 11
GNA DEVICE setting in bios? Good question. Anyone?
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Mappi75
Level 8

thomas_yiu
Level 9
According Intel's website, it states "The purpose of Intel GNA is to offload the CPU during some computations. The primary intended usage (but not limited to) is the Automated Speech Recognition domain." https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30139/Intel-GNA-Scoring-Accelerator-Driver-for-NUC11TN
Sincerely,
TY

thomas_yiu@ROG wrote:
According Intel's website, it states "The purpose of Intel GNA is to offload the CPU during some computations. The primary intended usage (but not limited to) is the Automated Speech Recognition domain." https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30139/Intel-GNA-Scoring-Accelerator-Driver-for-NUC11TN

Yes I saw that but it tells us pretty much nothing
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

thomas_yiu
Level 9
GNA means Gaussian and Neural Accelerator.
For example, when a person wants to transcript a TED talk , the person can use Speed recognition software (demo) that uses GNA (HW) or (SW) emulation. During the process, the performance monitor demonstrate that there is a drop in CPU residency with GNA HW. which means lower processor loads (reduce loading on the CPU) and it will also reduce power consumption. I also believe it will also increase performance in DNN (Deep Neural Network) applicaitons using GNA. GNA has it's own processor on the Intel processor to process the DNN data. For more information, please refer to "IMPLEMENTATION OF EFFICIENT, LOW POWER DEEP NEURAL NETWORKS
ON NEXT-GENERATION INTEL CLIENT PLATFORMS" - https://sigport.org/sites/default/files/docs/PosterFinal.pdf
Sincerely,
TY

thomas_yiu@ROG wrote:
GNA means Gaussian and Neural Accelerator.
For example, when a person wants to transcript a TED talk , the person can use Speed recognition software (demo) that uses GNA (HW) or (SW) emulation. During the process, the performance monitor demonstrate that there is a drop in CPU residency with GNA HW. which means lower processor loads (reduce loading on the CPU) and it will also reduce power consumption. I also believe it will also increase performance in DNN (Deep Neural Network) applicaitons using GNA. GNA has it's own processor on the Intel processor to process the DNN data. For more information, please refer to "IMPLEMENTATION OF EFFICIENT, LOW POWER DEEP NEURAL NETWORKS
ON NEXT-GENERATION INTEL CLIENT PLATFORMS" - https://sigport.org/sites/default/files/docs/PosterFinal.pdf

Hi,

Yes. I have updated Bios to the latest version 0707. BSOD are still there when I enable HT. When diseabled the computer is really very stable. I have used it for several tasks including long Microsoft Flight simulator sessions in Ultra mode, daily.

All the other options in the Bios have no effect on BSOD's, such as ABT, Turbo modes,...

When HT is off, there is absolutely no BSOD, even if the CPU power package reaches values such as 250W. By the way, I am really very happy with my new Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

When HT is On, BSOD's appear even with almost no load (i.e. Vcore=0,750V, 800MHz, 17W,...)

Well, it is not really a problem. I don't know if HT brings some performance enhancements in my case.

Regards

sl910

thomas_yiu
Level 9
sl910 wrote:
Hi,

I have just finished to built my new setup based on a M13H, bios 0704. I don't understand the aim of the setting "GNA device" in the Bios . Is it useful ? Does it need to be completed by a Windows driver ?

By the way, after several days, I can say that my system is really very stable (Prime 95, several hours of MSFS, Aida burn test,...) but I had to disable HT. Otherwise I had several and almost regular clock.watchdog.timeout BSOD's.

Resize bar and ABT are on and fonctional

Regards

sl91

Do you still have the issue with BSOD?
Sincerely,
TY

Mappi75
Level 8
@thomas_yiu@ROG

Thank you very much for the information.

For my understanding i have to enable this option in the bios and then i can install the drivers..