cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Channel A DIMM0 and Channel B DIMM0

pitderbeste
Level 8
Hello everybody,

I filled all 4 slots with memory and wanted to play a little with DRAM OC. But I would like to do that with only 2 modules in order to have better chances.

I saw that you can deactivate individual modules in the BIOS so I deactivated Channel A DIMM0 and Channel B DIMM0 but then the computer no longer starts.
But if I remove the two modules Channel A DIMM0 and Channel B DIMM0, the computer starts again.

Is it not possible?

Regards,
PiT

2 REPLIES 2

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Yeah, that's the way it behaves unfortunately. Those settings are not meant for troubleshooting or disabling slots that are occupied, they are meant for disabling empty slots to prevent signal reflections from unterminated lines.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Shamino
hasnt worked as you woulda hoped for a while now,
the data bus is shared with the two dimms in the channel, and even though the option ignores the other dimm, with that other dram not initialized, there is no on die termination and becomes quite a parasite on the signal integrity on the bus for the dimm that is actually trying to initialize.