cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Update and Custom Settings

Romarco
Level 7
I understand there is no way of updating a motherboard's Bios without loosing all the custom Bios setting.
This awareness (combined with laziness) always held me back from updating.
But last week, with the latest release, I realized that maybe I'm too far behind (almost a year) and I should really update, even if my PC runs fine for my needs.

So, already knowing that after the update I'll have to manually restore my custom settings, I wonder:
is there a way to know exactly what are, in the Bios, ALL the differences between the current settings and the default ones (which be presumably restored by the update process)?
10 REPLIES 10

Johnips
Level 8
Yes, you can "reset to optimal defaults/settings". Then exit and abort. You will see all the changes done from defaults.

Baalberith_NL
Level 10
Hi,

Save your BIOS settings to a USB stick, update BIOS to new firmware, then load the "old" setting from the USB stick and save new BIOS settings.
AMD 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
64GB G. Skill 3600Mhz C16
Cooler Master Master Liquid PL360 Flux
Be Quiet Dark Power 12 Pro 1500Watt
2 x Samsung 980Pro 1TB
1 x 10TB WD Black
1 x Asus Strix RTX 3080Ti OC
CoolerMaster C700M
Samsung G7 Odyssey 32inch

Baalberith_NL wrote:
Hi,
Save your BIOS settings to a USB stick, update BIOS to new firmware, then load the "old" setting from the USB stick and save new BIOS settings.

Can you confirm that such a procedure actually works?
Isn't there the risk that the updated Bios (possibly bearing new or different options) does not accept the "old" settings saved on the USB stick?

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
No, you can't load a CMO generated in an old BIOS into a new.

What you can do is save the settings to a text file (Ctrl-f2) onto a USB stick then manually enter them displaying the text file on another device.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
No, you can't load a CMO generated in an old BIOS into a new.

What you can do is save the settings to a text file (Ctrl-f2) onto a USB stick then manually enter them displaying the text file on another device.

If I use CTRL-F2, nothing will happen.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Did you go to Tool -> Asus User Profile -> Load/Save from USB ?

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

My soulution is better as the text file is including all settings. My way includes only what is changed.

Johnips wrote:
My soulution is better as the text file is including all settings. My way includes only what is changed.

Which you somehow have to record. In addition, defaults could change and options added, so it is best to walk through.

Most unchanged settings in the .txt file will be "auto" which you can skip.

Better is subjective, it is a matter of preference.

kvarq
Level 11
I was able to load the *.cmo settings from an old bios to a new one on Z490 and Z590 (both of them ROG Apex), suprisingly
if there are new or moved options from a version to another these have to be applied manually; no errorrs are reported, so if something is changed from a version to another it will be unnoticed

this comes pretty handy when testing different versions...

but when I am planning to use a bios version for a long time / daily, I prefer to apply all the settings from scratch, takes maybe 10 mins or so adjusting all the stuff, including fan profiles etc., to be sure I'm going through everything