cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Update and Custom Settings

Romarco
Level 7
I understand there is no way of updating a motherboard's Bios without loosing all the custom Bios setting.
This awareness (combined with laziness) always held me back from updating.
But last week, with the latest release, I realized that maybe I'm too far behind (almost a year) and I should really update, even if my PC runs fine for my needs.

So, already knowing that after the update I'll have to manually restore my custom settings, I wonder:
is there a way to know exactly what are, in the Bios, ALL the differences between the current settings and the default ones (which be presumably restored by the update process)?
10 REPLIES 10

kvarq
Level 11
I was able to load the *.cmo settings from an old bios to a new one on Z490 and Z590 (both of them ROG Apex), suprisingly
if there are new or moved options from a version to another these have to be applied manually; no errorrs are reported, so if something is changed from a version to another it will be unnoticed, so an overview before the actual restart would be recommended

this comes pretty handy when testing different versions, switching from a version to another

but when I am planning to use a bios version for a long time / daily, I prefer to apply all the settings from scratch, takes maybe 10 mins or so adjusting all the stuff, including fan profiles etc., to be sure I'm going through everything