cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bios 1701 problems

afanselcuk
Level 7
WORKAROUND FIX: SVID SUPPORT DISABLE

2 hours ago I saw the new bios update 1701 and updated my bios. I used USB stick to update. After the update, I cant boot into windows. I have 2 m2 SSD pcie express 3.0. When my pc tries to go into windows, it just freezes. I have to cut the power. I can go into bios but cant even boot into USB to try reformating windows. When I try to boot into USB it freeze again. Also I tried to roll back bios to the previous version using flashback and Ez flash, I get not proper bios file error. Also, flashback just stuck with green light.

TLDR: Cant boot into windows, freezes.
Flashback and Ez Flash wont let me rollback.

I managed to roll back to older version but problem still persists. When pc try to boot m2 ssd or windows usb. It freezes. It was working just fine before I update this version. What would be the cause to freeze when loading windows or usb stick.
30 REPLIES 30

ccs46 wrote:
Can you tell me where this setting is to turn off memory scramble?

It is in the Dram Timing - Training Algorithm settings.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Glad it's now resolved. This setting can have an impact on stability depending on the applied memory OC. Be sure to still check memory stability once within the OS using something like Ramtest or HCI Memtest.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Glad it's now resolved. This setting can have an impact on stability depending on the applied memory OC. Be sure to still check memory stability once within the OS using something like Ramtest or HCI Memtest.

I've done further testing and found out my problem comes from "SVID Support". When it is on Auto I get freezes and difficulties. After I disable SVID Support, I can load into windows just fine. What do you think happens?

afanselcuk wrote:
I've done further testing and found out my problem comes from "SVID Support". When it is on Auto I get freezes and difficulties. After I disable SVID Support, I can load into windows just fine. What do you think happens?

Did you try a clr cmos? Press F5 in bios after flashing 1701?
Also try unplugging the power supply then press the power button on the front of the case for 10 seconds to drain residual power, plug psu back in and retest.

Btw you probably don't want to disable SVID Support unless you plan on running a manual overclock w/ static voltage.

Is anyone else having problems w/ Bios 1701???
I was just getting ready to flash but usually do a quick Google search beforehand to see if anyone is having issues w/ the new version. That's what brought me here, sketched about updating now.

@Silent Scone do you have a Z590 rig have you flashed 1701 successfully w/out issues?

Btw I've had an issue w/ the last 2 or 3 bios versions where my APSM settings get enabled automatically somehow & then I get hundreds of WHEA errors in hwinfo64! I can't tell you how many times this has happened & now I have to Always keep hwinfo64 open on my second monitor just in case it happens again, it's extremely frustrating & it should have been resolved in the last bios update!
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

sdmf74 wrote:

I have the Maximus Hero 13 mobo and flashed 1701 over the weekend, 0 issues, OC on RAM sticks working fine too. Everything is working as it always used to.

sdmf74 wrote:
Did you try a clr cmos? Press F5 in bios after flashing 1701?
Also try unplugging the power supply then press the power button on the front of the case for 10 seconds to drain residual power, plug psu back in and retest.

Btw you probably don't want to disable SVID Support unless you plan on running a manual overclock w/ static voltage.

I was just getting ready to flash but usually do a quick Google search beforehand to see if anyone is having issues w/ the new version. That's what brought me here, sketched about updating now.

@Silent Scone do you have a Z590 rig have you flashed 1701 successfully w/out issues?

Btw I've had an issue w/ the last 2 or 3 bios versions where my APSM settings get enabled automatically somehow & then I get hundreds of WHEA errors in hwinfo64! I can't tell you how many times this has happened & now I have to Always keep hwinfo64 open on my second monitor just in case it happens again, it's extremely frustrating & it should have been resolved in the last bios update!

Yes, I did all of the above. It is still the same, when SVID is on auto or enabled goodbye to windows. I have to disable it to log in to windows. Weird right, it happened after the 1701 bios. My 11700k voltages: 1.27 load -- 1.34 idle 4600-5000ghz. I did not bother putting manual voltage after the bios disaster. Sorry for the late response btw.

So I just flashed bios version 1701 and the PCI Express Native Power Management Issue I mentioned in my prior commentts is still occurring unfortunately.
I started a thread on it hoping to get some acknowledgement from Asus support, you can find it here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131858-Asus-support-please-respond-Issue-w-last-3-bios-ver...

afanselcuk wrote:
when SVID is on auto or enabled goodbye to windows. I have to disable it to log in to windows. Weird right, it happened after the 1701 bios. I did not bother putting manual voltage after the bios disaster.

Please Clarify what you mean by "goodbye to windows?"
You mean you cannot even sign into windows when SVID is set to Auto or Enabled? What happens exactly & more importantly do you have your OC method set to ADAPTIVE in the bios?

sdmf74 wrote:
So I just flashed bios version 1701 and the PCI Express Native Power Management Issue I mentioned in my prior commentts is still occurring unfortunately.
I started a thread on it hoping to get some acknowledgement from Asus support, you can find it here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131858-Asus-support-please-respond-Issue-w-last-3-bios-ver...

Please Clarify what you mean by "goodbye to windows?"
You mean you cannot even sign into windows when SVID is set to Auto or Enabled? What happens exactly & more importantly do you have your OC method set to ADAPTIVE in the bios?

If I set SVID Auto or enable, I have to put the manual voltage for the CPU to work. Otherwise, this will keep happening: https://streamable.com/qbo6xy

It is still the same with all settings default. No idea what happened after I upgraded to 1701.

jrmpt wrote:
Hi. I'm with a Prime Z590-A. After the bios update, my PC no longer enters stand-by mode (monitor/system). Can this be related?

hello mate,

I am having a similar issue with z-590-e wifi board. It is paired with 11700k + 16 gig ddr 4 3200 (XMP2.0) + 1000W seasonic platinum psu 512 gb 960 evo nvme (boot drive installed on M2_1) and 1 tb 960 evo (back up drive installed on M2_3)+ igpu (no dedicated gpu). Running W10 Edu. Bios was updated after the issues started to latest.

Recently, I started to have random BSODs or instant resets on my system. It was small things. When I open multiple chrome tabs, computer stops responding and immediately resets (the bios option was on for auto system reset) or when I try to transfer a few gig file between nvme drives, system freezes and auto resets or when I try to create a word file same thing.

I used the system with two nvme drives for over a year but lately started to have these issues.

I ended up removing 960 evo and system is stable for now only 1 nvme installed.

I tried to force BSODs buy opening 50+ chrome tabs or stressing the cpu etc. but system is stable no issues whatsoever.

As soon as I put the 960 back in the board, system becomes unstable and constant resets begin.

I checked both drives no issues. I even installed win10 on 960 evo to see if drive was faulty but no issues were observed (when only one nvme installed). I even bought a 980 pro 1 tb to see if anything changed but if I end up putting more than one nvme system becomes unstable.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? I am thinking it maybe the board but any info is appreciated.

afanselcuk wrote:
If I set SVID Auto or enable, I have to put the manual voltage for the CPU to work. Otherwise, this will keep happening: https://streamable.com/qbo6xy

It is still the same with all settings default. No idea what happened after I upgraded to 1701.

In your video there is a small green light (boot led) above the post code at 16 seconds in the video when post code reads 99. That boot led light should give you a clue as to what is causing the freeze during boot. Also maybe try reinstalling windows & see if problem persists. Im not sure why enabling or setting SVID to auto would cause a freeze during boot up.
Did you adjust any of your voltages? Are you sure your vcore is et high enough? Maybe try increasing vcore slightly or check your AC/DC loadline settings. If its set to .01mohms most cpus are unstable at that setting. I use .16mohm for AC LL

BTW nothing wrong with setting an adaptive voltage. Motherboards dont always handle Auto voltages very well anyway