cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF Gaming Z590 Plus WIFI Adding Memory

snifferpro
Level 7
I'd like to add memory to this Motherboard.

I currently have 32gb of memory and would like to increase it to 64GB.

Anyone have recommendations for specific memory to add to this motherboard?

Can I add 2 more sticks of the same memory I have?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sort of a newby .

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Combining and mixing memory kits isn't supported by memory or motherboard vendors. This is because memory vendors bin and validate the memory kit in the density in which it is sold. If you combine memory kits the settings in which the kit is validated for XMP are no longer valid. You would need to return one or both of the memory kits and purchase a single kit validated for the density and frequency you are trying to run.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TheInspector069
Level 8

Yes, it is recommended that you continue to stay with the  same manufacturer with the same specs. With the exception of speed of course.  When I built my system (s), I just divided the total memory (128/ 4 slots.) 32 GB per slot. By all means, increase your memory. Yes, you can add two more memory modules.  The four systems that I have built last year, I have used G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series, 64G (32GB x2), DDR 4 3200, PC4 25600. F4-3200C16D-64GTZN, or GTZR. I have performed Windows memory diagnostics, Enabled XMP, and never experienced any hiccups with these modules.

You also visit ASUS's website, and pull up the Z590P.  Click on the CPU/ Memory Tab, and categized by  manufacturer, speed, etc. Be careful, their site does not always perform as it should.

Feel free to read this sticky. When advising others its best to stick to guidelines and not the works on my machine mantra 😉 

Given there are no assurances with overclocking regardless, adding additional unknowns can end up leading users up the garden path.

GSKILL’s own documentation will also tell you not to combine kits.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

https://www.gskill.com/faq/1502180912/DRAM-Memory#:~:text=We%20do%20not%20recommend%20mixing,compati....

We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model. By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications. Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit.

Don’t you think it would’ve been a good idea to ask him exactly what type of processor he has?

so I’ll ask, which intel processor do you have, Silent S? 🙂 i’ve seen many occurrences where people purchase memory and the processor doesn’t support that memory specs. That’s why you’ve seen people complain on the Assous sites that they buy the memory that’s actually recommended and it doesn’t work with the processor.

Can you explain what difference the processor makes and how it pertains to mixing memory kits?

That my friend, you should know.

Did I, or did I know tell the gentleman to stick to the same manufacturer and specs, with the exception of the speed????? This is why Asus provides that information on their site. I have the same board as he does, included the above-mentioned memory modules.  I don't understand why you're so hooked on overclocking. The Modules are XMP compatible, period.

Now, I have better things to do then to got into a debate. He asked a question, and I gave him an answer. This is not Computer User Support 101. 

Where were you when the question was originally asked?????

I suggest you read the sticky I’ve linked in my post if you’re still not sure why your original reply was ill advised. The type of processor has no direct relevance to combining binned memory kits. The memory kit voltage guardband, frequency, and timings put in place by the memory vendor are invalidated by doing so regardless of the platform or processor. That is not the same as to dismiss processor variance which is not the same discussion.

I’d implore you to read the sticky if still unsure.

Highly doubt that original comment was ill advised. It was a direct answer to a direct question. He is looking for advice, not direction. My colleagues are laughing that this has been drawn out as long as it has. https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-11700k-core-i7-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118233?Item=N82E16819118233 , 

If you do not choose the correct "Memory Type", for the processor you will encounter system instability. 

Apologies, thought this was done with. I don't work for ASUS so i'm not sure what your preoccupation is with derailing the thread with this question.

This is what the QVL is for. The QVL doesn't contain any mixed kits and also indicates how many modules are supported.

Anyone directly advising users to mix memory kits probably doesn't understand what happens at the circuit level when the system is overclocked and what levels of voltage guardband the memory vendor applies. Let's remember (as linked above) GSKILL does not recommend combining kits, either.

I'd implore you to pass this information on to your colleagues, as it sounds like they also are struggling with the subject.

If wanting to combine kits, one needs to consider the following things, and there will be only so much guidance others can give.

1). Evaluate if the kit is able to run at or even close to the rated frequency anymore. This depends on the amount of guardband the memory vendor has put in, the motherboard, platform and CPU.

2). Evaluate if the kit is able to run at or close to the primary timings the memory vendor has put in. This also depends on the amount of guardband the memory vendor has put in.

3). Evaluate how much voltage the memory needs for the above two points.

4). Evaluate the motherboard sub timings to see if the kits are able to run at or close to the auto ruling assigned by the board vendor.

5). As with any memory kit, evaluate what voltages are needed on the CPU side.

All these things take time and there are no assurances the kit will run at anything close to the memory vendors profile defined in SPD.

Hope this helps.