cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero motherboard and Samsung 980 PRO NVMe - PC shut down

74lobster
Level 10
Hello to everyone,

I own an Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero motherboard and a Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 2 TB - PCIe 4.0.

If I connect the SSD in the 4.0 PCIe slot of the mobo, the PC turns on for only few seconds and then shuts down automatically.

I don't have an 11 gen processor, but a 10 gen processor Intel i9-10900K.

If I connect instead the SSD to the PCIe 3.0 slot, all goes well, the PC power up normally and Windows 10 identifies correctly the SSD.

Is this normal or there is an issue ?

Thanks in davance.
74lobster
11 REPLIES 11

Saltgrass
Level 13
Some M.2 slots are not available with the 10th gen processor.

I would suggest you go to the 11th Gen as soon as you can.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Some M.2 slots are not available with the 10th gen processor.

I would suggest you go to the 11th Gen as soon as you can.

Thanks for the answer.

I will change the processor ASAP...
74lobster

kvarq
Level 11
depends a lot on what do you want...
high speeds for the SSD and some good results in few synthetic benches, so go for 11th or better average/gaming performance therefore keep the 10th
if you can swap Z590 with a Z490 will be a lot better, stability and performance wise
forget about PCIE 4x speeds, won't be noticed in real life

Z590 is a mess for the time being

kvarq wrote:
depends a lot on what do you want...
high speeds for the SSD and some good results in few synthetic benches, so go for 11th or better average/gaming performance therefore keep the 10th
if you can swap Z590 with a Z490 will be a lot better, stability and performance wise
forget about PCIE 4x speeds, won't be noticed in real life

Z590 is a mess for the time being

I understand, but I wanna know this:

If I connect the SSD in the 4.0 PCIe slot of the mobo, the PC turns on for only few seconds and then shuts down automatically.

Is it normal or it's an issue ?
74lobster

kvarq
Level 11
yeah, I have the same
the motherboard is designed not to work while a 10th is populated with the 4x M.2 slot, just put it in another slot - saw you already did - and everything is fine then

kvarq wrote:
yeah, I have the same
the motherboard is designed not to work while a 10th is populated with the 4x M.2 slot, just put it in another slot - saw you already did - and everything is fine then

Thanks for the answer.

Bye.
74lobster

The M_2 -1 slot is disabled for all but intel 11thh gen and up, sorry.

To the OP

So just wanted to ask you. Because I was really set on the same CPU you have and the same Motherboard.

I was seeing a video where it said that only the first PCIE slot was disabled with a 10900k. Did you try the second slot? And
where did you put your Video Card in which slot?

susanto wrote:
To the OP

So just wanted to ask you. Because I was really set on the same CPU you have and the same Motherboard.

I was seeing a video where it said that only the first PCIE slot was disabled with a 10900k. Did you try the second slot? And
where did you put your Video Card in which slot?

the pcie slot works fine (albeit at 3.0 speeds). it's the first nvme slot that doesn't work with 10th gen.