cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus XIII Hero Slow Boot Time

i4eneco
Level 7
Hey ROG-forum members,
my 6 year old Asus Maximus VIII Hero with i7-6700k Processor and a Samsung 950 Pro boots twice as fast as my new build consisting of the following parts:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XIII Hero (latest non-beta-bios: 0605 installed, default settings, no overclocking)
Processor: Intel i7-11700k
RAM: 4*8GB Corsair RGB Pro SL 3600Mhz
.m2_1: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (PCIE 4.0 SSD)
.m2_3: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (PCIE 3.0 SSD)
.m2_4: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (PCIE 3.0 SSD)
GPU: Amd Radeon 6900 XT

I have already read about this here where people are also experiencing the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/lmzh9v/new_motherboard_asus_rog_maximus_xiii_hero_z59...

Is there any solution? Problem with chipset? Problem with PCIE4 drivers? Problem with Samsung 980 Pro? Anyone experiencing the same issue?
kind regards
16 REPLIES 16

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Different boards, especially given the generation jump you've taken, have a variety of different controllers which can add time to the POST and OS hand off procedure. If these things are an issue one can always make use of S3 resume sleep states. Memory training can also have an impact depending on the DRAM settings.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Saltgrass
Level 13
If you look at the Task Manager, startup tab, it will show a Bios Start time. Mine is currently 8.2 seconds.

Below that it might identify if some startup utilities are High impact and might be involved.

Otherwise, is the delay prior to starting Windows or after Windows has taken over.. You might also create a boot log using msconfig.exe to see if some driver is having a problem.

The other option is disabling some startup services, using msconfig. Just don't disable any Microsoft ones..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

radioguy728
Level 7
Hello i4enco, Did you flash the bios to latest version dated 03/29/21 ?
This worked for me

Hi everyone, I've resolved the issue:
Bios Settings: I used Bios 0605, set Asus MCE to all Cores, enabled Dual TAU, set XMP to 3600mhz, Gear 1 (1:1), 100:133, manually set voltage to: vccio/sa to 1.2 (vccio was 1.4 with auto, sa at 1.56 auto, way too high), enabled all onboard devices, disabled MyAsus and ArmoryCrate
Windows: completely new setup using the latest available drivers (mostly not using the Asus ones, but the ones posted by another member of this forum here). I use the latest AuraSync Software, iCue and Jacknet RGB Sync for RGB control and nothing else (forget about Armoury....)
Now everything is working stable and fast as expected, thx for all the feedback!

i4eneco wrote:
Hi everyone, I've resolved the issue:
Bios Settings: I used Bios 0605, set Asus MCE to all Cores, enabled Dual TAU, set XMP to 3600mhz, Gear 1 (1:1), 100:133, manually set voltage to: vccio/sa to 1.2 (vccio was 1.4 with auto, sa at 1.56 auto, way too high), enabled all onboard devices, disabled MyAsus and ArmoryCrate
Windows: completely new setup using the latest available drivers (mostly not using the Asus ones, but the ones posted by another member of this forum here). I use the latest AuraSync Software, iCue and Jacknet RGB Sync for RGB control and nothing else (forget about Armoury....)
Now everything is working stable and fast as expected, thx for all the feedback!

Edited, I just updated to Bios 0605 from stock 0232, Motherboard is XIII Hero, and my boot time is hella fast now (it was slow as fxxk with 0232), now its as fast as my previous Z390, and I didn't tweak any Bios setting like you did, just Armory Crate is Enabled, Audio Device disabled since I have my own Sound Card, Blue Tooth, Wi-fi Disabled since I don't use them, didn't tweak anything else. running 1 M.2 SSD in M.2_3 slot, 2 SATA HDD in SATA.1 and SATA.2 slots.

3dw4rdTm
Level 7
Thanks a lot!

Mappi75
Level 8
Be sure that you installed the lates Firmware for 980pro this will fix nvme slowdowns to 1000MB/s.