cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Extreme XII Z490 - PCI 4 Support with RocketLake-S

mmolletit
Level 7
Hi guys,

i bought this very expensive Motherboard just 7 month ago and i like it, i really would like to keep it but i need to know if it will support PCIX4.0 and 20 Lanes with the RocketLake refresh which will happen shortly.

I saw a post where Gigabyte statet that they will support PCIX4 on theyre Z490 Boards and as far as i could have read, the cpu mainly needs to support it and the PCIX 16 slot isnt any different so this is only a question of supporting it software (bios) side from Asus.

Thanks for clearing.
6 REPLIES 6

Saltgrass
Level 13
I am in the same situation and do believe the PCIe 4 will work with the 11th gen processor.. I already have certain tests I plan to run both before and after the processor upgrade..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

why is this Forum so badly moderated ... you never get any help from ROG staff or any clear answers. Anyway i got a confirmation from an employee that PCIX4 and 20 Lanes will be available on the Extreme XII with the release of RLS.

mmolletit wrote:
why is this Forum so badly moderated ... you never get any help from ROG staff or any clear answers. Anyway i got a confirmation from an employee that PCIX4 and 20 Lanes will be available on the Extreme XII with the release of RLS.

Forums are very rarely supported by company staff. Most often they are moderated by users that have lots of experience with the boards and other Asus enthusiasts.

Help from staff is called a support ticket. 😞

So, i got my hands on an 11700k early and testet a few things with the Z490 Extreme.

1. Update both Bios on the Extreme to 2004 while having the a 10th Gen CPU inside. (it havent worked for me only doing it with one bios only, the mainboard didnt tun on anymore) also tried with flashback.
2. Update Intel ME from withing a working Windows installation to the latest version mentioned in the forum here, else XMPII havent worked for me.
3. PCIX4 16 is available for my 3090 when using the 11700k.
4. Iam not able to use more then 16 Lanes from the CPU, as soon i plug another PCIX 1x Soundcard (STI2) in the second PCIX16 slot the GPU goes down to 8x.
This could be that Z490 not supporting more then 16lanes from CPU or it havent been implemented from Bios side. Iam not using the DIMM.2 Module ! so these 4 extra lanes seems to be fogotten by the BIOS builder yet.

Zardoc wrote:
Forums are very rarely supported by company staff. Most often they are moderated by users that have lots of experience with the boards and other Asus enthusiasts.

Help from staff is called a support ticket. 😞

i like your signature...

menko2
Level 7
You will get 16 lines pcie4.

The DIMM.2 maybe will get 4 lines for ssd nmve but not confirmed.

Asus did the worst preparing for rocket lake 20 PCIe 4 lines from all brands.