cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus/Intel Drivers causing Critical Shutdown? HELP

Lionhart27
Level 7
System:- ROG Maximus XIII Hero, Intel i9-11900K CPU, Corsair DDR4 RGB 32GB (2x16GB), Founders GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GPU, Corsair MP600 Pro Gen4 2TB SSD and 2nd Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair Hydro 100 CPU water cooler, Corsair AX860w PSU. Windows 11 Home X64, with ALL latest Windows & Nvidia updates. Very latest BIOS update v.1202. NO overclocking on CPU or GPU.

The Bios, Firmware, and Intel ME all installed OK. However, The Driver updates were a bit of a nightmare especially one. Chipset, Audio, Thunderbolt appeared to install ok. VGA driver did not, message 'No driver found'? Although I do not see that I need this, as I have a RTX3090 installed? The Wireless and Bluetooth drivers never came up with box to say installed, but I think they did install? The most troublesome was the SATA Driver Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver V18.36.1.1016 for Windows 10/11 64bit. This froze at 21% of install? I could not shut it down and re-started PC, but it automatically restarted twice, so this really upset my system? Not only that, since then the PC has had several critical shutdowns, (Event Viewer) X Critical Shutdown Kernal-Power 41? This has never happened before. My 860w PSU is powerful enough for this system, and has never caused any problem for 9 months now. So you can understand why I believe this Asus/Intel SATA driver could be corrupt and be causing the critical shutdowns? Please Help.
2 REPLIES 2

Saltgrass
Level 13
First, you are correct in that the Intel video is disabled with descreet video card installed.

I get my Wi-Fi drivers through Windows and they are 22.110.1.1 currently.

Why are you trying to install SATA drivers? Are you trying to run RAID or have Optane Memory?

I run a 1000 Watt Power Supply with that video card.

I have Thunderbolt disabled in the Bios since I don't use it.

Those video cards can get very hot if the cooling air is not sufficient. It is important to make sure the exhausted hot air does not get back to the Intake fans.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
First, you are correct in that the Intel video is disabled with descreet video card installed.

I get my Wi-Fi drivers through Windows and they are 22.110.1.1 currently.

Why are you trying to install SATA drivers? Are you trying to run RAID or have Optane Memory?

I run a 1000 Watt Power Supply with that video card.

I have Thunderbolt disabled in the Bios since I don't use it.

Those video cards can get very hot if the cooling air is not sufficient. It is important to make sure the exhausted hot air does not get back to the Intake fans.

Thanks. You are right, I don't need the Sata drivers. I thought they included other drivers for general system. I will forget about them. And I know how to disable Thunderbolt drivers. I was not thinking properly when I installed these drivers. My PC suppliers said the 860w PSU should be more than powerful enough for the job? The ventilation is not that good. I had to fix the Hydra 100 fans on the front of the Corsair PC case, at the top would have been much better, but it does not clear the Ram modules. Removing the glass side panel would help with ventilation. I have played a graphics intensive Flightsim, for some time and no problems so far. I will look into various ways to cool the system down much better, starting with the glass side.