cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex XIII bios

kvarq
Level 11
0903 is officially out
probably based on beta which has been available since a month or so, not sure if it is day & night, not having too much hope though*

I am curious when dual rank will be ok with this crappy board

plus the power stuff, endless restarts, *RBAR, USB poling rate etc...

looking fwd for the KP Z590 board, can’t wait to throw this board or hit it with a hammer, can’t RMA it since Asus warranty is not at all international, money thrown down to the toilet*
83 REPLIES 83

kvarq
Level 11
"working from home" - good one =))

yeah, I think now binning of the boards also got important, probably variations are more... incisive this generation
on my Apex the 2x16 kit fails within 10 mins in GSAT, on another same kit needs 2hrs 55min to fail... same bios, same settings etc

on your mobo you noticed 0902 being better than 0903 in the end?
(can't understand why they uploaded the very same day the two beta versions on the support page :P)

kvarq
Level 11
"working from home" - good one =))

yeah, I think now binning of the boards also got important, probably variations are more... incisive this generation
on my Apex the 2x16 kit fails within 10 mins in GSAT, on another same kit needs 2hrs 55min to fail... same bios, same settings etc

on your mobo you noticed 0902 being better than 0903 in the end?
(can't understand why they uploaded the very same day the two beta versions on the support page :P)

I honestly don't know what to do, they uploaded in July beta bioses from May, so I kinda lost my hope with these guys, to buy again the Z490 Apex XII or to buy Z590 MSI or OC formula from Asrock - apparently MSI is better than expected with 2x16
obviously I'll lose lots of money selling this sh*t SH...

bscool
Level 11
I haven't messed with the z590 Apex for a bit, the only difference I noticed between 902 and 903 was microcode but I could be wrong. I know on z590 Hero 902 is better than older bios versions if you use ABT is will clock 51 vs other bios did 50 from what I saw when testing. I think I read some people say on z590 Apex 903 needs more io or sa for mem OC than 902.

Also the latter couple bios give a boost in copy verse the first couple bios versions, even setting timings manually. I think it is 707 and later that give copy a fair boost when measuring with aida64. I confirmed it on both z590 Apex and Hero using 11th gen. I don't think it effect 10th gen CPUs in those MBs from what I remember.

I would have gotten a z590 Unify X to try but it took too long to come out. A week after I got the Z590 Hero Newegg released the Unify X and I didn't feel like sending the Hero back to Amazon plus I had already installed it and started using it.

With all that rambling I would use 10th gen CPUs with z490 and 11th gen with z590. Just from the playing around I have done with a z490 Apex, z590 Apex/Hero and z490 Unify with both gen CPUs they work best when paired 10th/z490 and 11th/z590.

You said z590 MSI does better with 2x16? Is that with 10th gen or 11th gen CPU? From the bench's i have seen on the Asrock I would not bother. I think it is a backwards step if anything a lateral at best.

It seems like you may have a bad board or something. I could run the same clocks and timings on z590 Apex using 10th gen(10700k) and 2x16 as on z490 Apex(4400c16-17-17). I just noticed the difference in SR and trying 1t@4266+.

Have tried contacting Asus about an RMA or can you still return the MB?

kvarq
Level 11
Yeah, same settings I had on Apex XII were not working on Apex XIII, but that's no surprise, since I read lots of similar cases of 10th and Z590, but also with 11th.
Also the boot issues, the classic F7 error, the power stuff, USB errors etc. seemed to be common for Z590, so it's not my board only, also read about Hero, Extreme etc.
Could be bios, or worse, board designs, or maybe just bad batches.
Clearly bios still needs lots of work.
Asus quality is a big FAIL now.

Of course I wanted to return this crap after few days, you're not paying 500 EUR for an unfinished product, but it seems that I bought the card from a dodgy online store, computeruniverse, based in Germany. I should have read the trustpilot reviews first. Also what I received seemed to be used before, did not receive all the accessories, found out on Asus website that warranty started end of March, but I bought it beginning of May. They're not replying to emails etc. At least I got something, others were literally scammed.

Anyways, I also opened a ticket on Asus support page, after lots of e-mails they said that probably it is the best to RMA it, then Asus Germany was willing to RMA the board, but picking is from Germany-Austria only. I also contacted the local Asus from my country but they cannot RMA it, since it was not bought locally.
Asus have this policy with RMA not being international at all. That's bloody Asus policy =))

Anyways, for my 2x16, XMP 16-16-16-36 seems to to be working at all on XIII, not matter how hard I'm trying to tune voltages and settings, although should be just one click for XMP, and I said before other Apex XIII struggle the same, sooner or later, but in my case loading XMP and then modifying 17-17-17-37 seems to be rock solid though.

kvarq
Level 11
Yeah, same settings I had on Apex XII were not working on Apex XIII, but that's no surprise, since I read lots of similar cases of 10th and Z590, but also with 11th.
Also the boot issues, the classic F7 error, the power stuff, USB errors etc. seemed to be common for Z590, so it's not my board only, also read about Hero, Extreme etc.

Of course I wanted to return this crap after few days, you're not paying 500 EUR for an unfinished product, but it seems that I bought the board from a dodgy online store, computeruniverse, based in Germany. I should have read the trustpilot reviews first. Also what I received seemed to be used before, did not receive all the accessories, found out on Asus website that warranty started end of March, but I bought it beginning of May. They're not replying to emails etc. At least I got something, others were literally scammed.

Anyways, I also opened a ticket on Asus support page, after lots of e-mails they said that probably it is the best to RMA it, then Asus Germany was willing to RMA the board, but picking is from Germany-Austria only. I also contacted the local Asus from my country but they cannot RMA it, since it was not bought locally.
Asus have this policy with RMA not being international at all. That's bloody Asus policy =))

Anyways, for my 2x16, XMP 16-16-16-36 seems to to be working at all on XIII, not matter how hard I'm trying to tune voltages and settings, although should be just one click for XMP, and I said before other Apex XIII struggle the same, sooner or later, but in my case loading XMP and then modifying 17-17-17-37 seems to be rock solid though.

kvarq
Level 11

Of course I wanted to return this crap after few days, you're not paying 500 EUR for an unfinished product, but it seems that I bought the board from a dodgy online store, computeruniverse, based in Germany. I should have read the trustpilot reviews first. Also what I received seemed to be used before, did not receive all the accessories, found out on Asus website that warranty started end of March, but I bought it beginning of May. They're not replying to emails etc. At least I got something, others were literally scammed.

Anyways, for my 2x16, XMP 16-16-16-36 seems to not be working at all on XIII, not matter how hard I'm trying to tune voltages and settings, although should be just one click for XMP, and I said before other Apex XIII struggles the same, fails sooner or later, but in my case loading XMP and then modifying 17-17-17-37 seems to be rock solid though.

kvarq
Level 11

Anyways, for my 2x16, XMP 16-16-16-36 seems to not be working at all on XIII, no matter how hard I'm trying to tune voltages and settings, although should be just one click for XMP, and I said before other Apex XIII struggles the same with the same kit, fails later though, but in my case loading XMP and then modifying 17-17-17-37 seems to be rock solid, as well on the other Apex XIII the same, this seems the temporary solution. I tried lots of bios versions, from 0106 to 0903.
The very same 2x16 kit is solid on Apex XII with an older bios, with the latest one is a bit debatable. Binning for that particular kit is debatable, but not even bumping VRAM to 1.45V on Apex XIII is not a go.
But anyways, I had few 2x16 kits which on Apex XII were rock solid in GSAT now they fail on XIII, even in the included memtest.

bscool
Level 11
Seems like that is probably why it was returned by someone else as it is defective. Even the z590 Hero I have will run 4400c16-17-17 2x16 with 10700k. I switched back to 11900k or would post screen shots. I didn't take any when I had the 10700k installed.

I am being really nit picky when I say mine is not that good. But yours not running/stable 4000c16 2x16 XMP is not expectable.

kvarq
Level 11
flashed the 1007 on my Apex XIII

same stuff with the 7F error, the USB issue (when a third device is plugged in, sometimes the keyboard is disconnecting for some reason) etc, some things noticed - EC version RKL updated from 014 to 015, PTT from disabled to enabled, and I can see "Trusted Computing" in 1007, was not there for me in 0903 🙂
probably I'll switch those off, since I'm on 21H1, no intention for W11 too soon, probably when it will be really out...

but I'll leave these default for now because who knows... after flash, did a quick test with GSAT, and... surprise over one hour and no errors on my 2x16 kit!
could not believe this, this is the first time I see on this board, tried all bios versions I saw since 0106 till now the last two months, 2x16 were a no go for this board, even on XMP
this is clearly an improvement for me, so probably we're on the right track finally 😄

I'll leave it more hours the nights will come to see if I'm reaching Apex XII stability =))

kvarq
Level 11
flashed the 1007 on my Apex XIII

same stuff with the 7F error, the USB issue (when a third device is plugged in, sometimes the keyboard is disconnecting for some reason) etc, some things noticed - EC version RKL updated from 014 to 015, PTT from disabled to enabled, and I can see "Trusted Computing" in 1007, was not there for me in 0903 🙂
probably I'll switch those off, since I'm on 21H1, no intention for W11 too soon, probably when it will be really out...