cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALC 4080 random static noise

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Asus Maximus XIII Apex onboard ALC 4080 audio codec makes static noise over front panel or rear analog audio outputs.
Happens absolutely randomly and unpredictable. When I rewind videos on YouTube or rewind\change audio tracks in music player but never in games. Usually once a day or two.
Asus support insist this is a faulty motherboard and recommend to RMA board to local seller but I saw few messages from Rog Strix Z590-A, F and E owners who have exactly the same issue (since these boards have ALC 4080 codec too). Other ALC4080 based boards from other vendors are affected too e.g. MSI, Gigabyte\Aorus. Some people reporting they have the same issue after board replacement.
I'd like to not RMA board, it may take up to 60 days without PC (I bet they won't find any issues during first RMA request and I should RMA board one more time right away. Known story).
RMA in this case will be problematic because problem can occurs randomly and in circumstances when person should rewind videos or audio tracks. Which will take a while and I have a doubts someone will rewind all this stuff all day long for several days just to catch it. More likely they will test motherboard for few days and say that board works fine. This is not the case when you launch stress test and check results later. + as I said before - I saw reports from users who had the same issue with replaced Z590 after RMA. Replace "faulty" Z590 motherboard with another "faulty" Z590 motherboard with ALC 4080 or pay even more extra for ALC 4082 board which is don't have this issue? I'd say even more, if this is a board malfunction, why this static noise over analog outputs is just not play always? Why only in some circumstances? It have the same behaviour SPDIF output had before firmware upgrade.

Realtek audio drivers uninstall does nothing. Clean Windows install without Realtek audio drivers does nothing and static noise randomly repeats, so, might be a codec firmware\hardware but not Realtek driver related issue. BIOS update or rollback not change anything. SPDIF firmware for ALC 4080\4082 is applied. I never had this issue over SPDIF by the way. Only 3.5mm analog outputs are affected.

My M13Apex static noise example:

Another M13Apex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiMFy8PxMqA

MSI Z590 Carbon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbfINusobRo

Gigabyte\Aorus owners reports about static noise over SPDIF and analog outputs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/mrsi0z/z590_alc4080_static_audio

ASUS ROG forums messages about analog noise:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125331-ALC-4080-random-static-noise-(M13Apex)#post841845
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125331-ALC-4080-random-static-noise-(M13Apex)#post842035
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122939-Z590-F-Sound-Issues-Optical-Cable/page3#post833130

It is time to stop play dead and do something about it.
10 REPLIES 10

Zardoc
Level 10
Hi, I get your pain. I submitted a similar comment about the codec having boot issues with Windows 10. I even did a trace to show Asus that the codec was lagging on boot. They said they had no issues. I RMA'd the board with an advanced RMA (prepay). That means keep the board have an amount frozen on your card until the defective unit returns.

I kept on testing every way possible to try to find what the problem was.

I finally found it. A Logitech C615 USB camera was in conflict with the codec. This problem never happened on a Z270 board because it has an ALC codec.

The 4080 chip does not play nice with certain USB devices, maybe other devices but for sure certain USB devices.

To test, remove all added hardware to the board. Test again and report to see if you encounter the same issues. I'm not 100% that you will find it but if it's another USB or whatever hardware added, you will see it right away.

Let me know how it goes.

This being said, Board makers should warn users that their USB codecs may have incompatibilities with certain hardware. This would save a lot of time and grief on buyers part!!! :rolleyes:

Zardoc wrote:
Hi, I get your pain. I submitted a similar comment about the codec having boot issues with Windows 10. I even did a trace to show Asus that the codec was lagging on boot. They said they had no issues. I RMA'd the board with an advanced RMA (prepay). That means keep the board have an amount frozen on your card until the defective unit returns.

I kept on testing every way possible to try to find what the problem was.

I finally found it. A Logitech C615 USB camera was in conflict with the codec. This problem never happened on a Z270 board because it has an ALC codec.

The 4080 chip does not play nice with certain USB devices, maybe other devices but for sure certain USB devices.

To test, remove all added hardware to the board. Test again and report to see if you encounter the same issues. I'm not 100% that you will find it but if it's another USB or whatever hardware added, you will see it right away.

Let me know how it goes.

This being said, Board makers should warn users that their USB codecs may have incompatibilities with certain hardware. This would save a lot of time and grief on buyers part!!! :rolleyes:

I have only mouse (ROG STRIX Evolve) and keyboard (Tesoro mechanical keyboard plugged in PS/2). I have Windows 10 long boot too from time to time, like this article says (and even without Realtek audio driver)
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/176993-new-4080-usb-codec-z590-issues.html

If you mean delay on sound device initialization (speaker icon have a red X in system tray and no sound) at Windows desktop right after boot - you can plug few pendrives or usb external drives in rear usb ports and you will get that delay most likely (because audio codec use usb too).
Or you can unplug speakers or headset from analog outputs and system will have sound right after boot via SPDIF for example becasue motherboard won't measure analog impedance (since analog audio outputs are empty).
Or simply uninstall Realtek audio driver.
It will also can conflict with CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) which will give display screen flash with Realtek audio drivers installed during Windows boot. And also can prevent some software from startup when Realtek audio driver is installed, like Win10 BrightnessSlider. I have to create delayed startup Windows task in task manager for this software. As soon as I uninstall Realtek audio driver - no more Win10 BrightnessSlider crashes at startup. And all this is because of Realtek drivers and mainly ALC 4080. I can't name a single pros about this codec. Only cons and negative experience.
But this won't solve static sound problem if you have it.
My pal owns Maximus 13 Hero with ALC 4082 and don't have delayed sound initialization. And to be honest I didn't saw a single message about same problem with ALC 4082. So this is ALC 4080 problems @ hardware or firmware level.

If you meant something else - then I don't have this issue.
I'm already don't care about anything listed above because tired of this BS. I just want get rid of static noise and make sound card working AS DAMN INTENDED. I believe rest of the people with the same problem - too.

But this thread is about static noise on analog audio outputs. Not long boot\delayed start\lags related.

Rocket Scientist wrote:
I have only mouse (ROG STRIX Evolve) and keyboard (Tesoro mechanical keyboard plugged in PS/2). I have Windows 10 long boot too from time to time, like this article says (and even without Realtek audio driver)
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/176993-new-4080-usb-codec-z590-issues.html

If you mean delay on sound device initialization (speaker icon have a red X in system tray and no sound) at Windows desktop right after boot - you can plug few pendrives or usb external drives in rear usb ports and you will get that delay most likely (because audio codec use usb too).
Or you can unplug speakers or headset from analog outputs and system will have sound right after boot via SPDIF for example becasue motherboard won't measure analog impedance (since analog audio outputs are empty).
My pal owns Maximus 13 Hero with ALC 4082 and don't have delayed sound initialization. And to be honest I didn't saw a single message about same problem with ALC 4082. So this is ALC 4080 problems @ hardware or firmware level.

If you meant something else - then I don't have this issue.

But this thread is about static noise on analog audio outputs. Not long boot\delayed start related.

Yeah, I wrote that article. 😄

You're pal owns a board that might not have any incompatibilities with the hardware he's using or it might not be the case.

What I'm saying is that your problem can be anything related to hardware. Troubleshooting tests are always done at first with minimal hardware. If the issue persists then it's motherboard (or in your case as you say) chip related. I wouldn't be surprised at all that the codec has issues.

Just to make sure, remove as much added hardware as you can or exchange some of it with other hardware as a test.

My issue is gone because of my camera. Maybe your issue, is also hardware related.

BTW ALC4080 demystified here

Zardoc wrote:
Yeah, I wrote that article. 😄

You're pal owns a board that might not have any incompatibilities with the hardware he's using or it might not be the case.

What I'm saying is that your problem can be anything related to hardware. Troubleshooting tests are always done at first with minimal hardware. If the issue persists then it's motherboard (or in your case as you say) chip related. I wouldn't be surprised at all that the codec has issues.

Just to make sure, remove as much added hardware as you can or exchange some of it with other hardware as a test.

My issue is gone because of my camera. Maybe your issue, is also hardware related.

BTW ALC4080 demystified here

As I said I didn't saw a single message with same issue on ALC 4082. The problem is not at user side. It is a hardware or firmware issue (or branch of faulty codecs\components used in mobos).

Even your article issue (long boot) says that ASUS is aware of this issue and trying to solve it but this issue is still not fixed (that was 6 months ago). Not sure if they are interested at all until it will (if) reach critical mass. It is much easier to do nothing, show middle finger to few users who bother and shift manufacturer responsibility to the user side. Because user have to prove to local reseller that product have issues and how to track them.

Zardoc
Level 10
I'm not trying to get you mad as I can see you're already peeved at your board.

What I'm trying to say is that you actually might have a faulty board. Do you know how many boards out there have this new codec?

I posted here too to see how many had my issue. I got very little responses which means that the problem isn't wide spread but localized. Sure there might be other users with faulty boards like you but if the issue was wide spread you'd see it all over the net which right now is not the case.

I got peeved at ASUS for wasting my time for 2 months and told them, OK an exchange but advanced only so I don't loose my board for 1 month and I insisted on a new board not an RMA return.

So, I hope you can get your board fixed. :cool:

Zardoc wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that you actually might have a faulty board.

You forgot that all ALC 4080\4082 boards had the same SPDIF static noise issue (with the same sudden loud static sound, EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE). I bet when people contact ASUS support about SPDIF issue, ASUS replied the same - your board is faulty. Until reports reached critical mass and vendors had to admit problem and poke Realtek to release firmware update.
I just don't understand why they can release firmware fix for SPDIF but cannot do the same for analog (since codec is on usb).
Or make a statement that some boards have this issue and make a recall to anyone who have it, because vendors can't fix it.
But no. They got our money and now they sucking our blood instead (time and nervous).

tadekm
Level 9
I have issue (loud static noise) with analog output too. Z590-A Gaming here. Firmware updated, still the same. This is randomly thing in my case.

xeromist
Hi all,

This thread is moved as it does not meet the requirements of Service Inquiries. That section is *only* for escalation of tickets per the sticky at the top. If you do not have an existing ticket the representatives responding there will not be able to help you. All other issues must go through official ASUS support channels (this is a community forum, not an official support forum).

Also, if someone posts in that section, do not reply. It is not a discussion area and posts by other users will be deleted.

@Rocket Scientist - I recommend you send a PM to Nuckels since he is having the same problem and indicated he has a ticket open on this issue. He may be able to use your information to add to his ticket to show this is a broader issue and not a single board. I'm not sure if it will help but could be worth a try.

Ultimately it will be Realtek that has to fix this. ASUS may not be able to do much beyond recording complaints, unfortunately.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

iisd
Level 7
Have been talking about this issue for many months. Nobody believed me here and claimed its just the SPDIF that has that issue.
I have tried 3 different boards from 3 different manufacturers with the 4080 chip. Ive installed new driver and the firmware update. Ive changed all other hardware components and installed windows fresh several times without any change. Its not Asus (except their bad support not acknowledging the issue), its the Realtek chip.

I dont know what else to say. The media is ignoring this issue too. But I noticed that some manufacturers dont put that chip on their new boards anymore, and some have avoided it completely, like ASRock. So they seem to know about the issues.