cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Plus WIFI D4 and 128gb Ram

creatureye
Level 9

*EDIT*

Good afternoon. I hope Im posting this in the right place. I need a bit of help and suggestions.

TUF Gaming z690 plus wifi D4
128GB of Gskill ripjaw ram(4x32 sticks)
i9 12900k

Ive been having an issue. About once a month or so(gaming, music recording, or just booting into windows) I will get a BSOD. Doesnt happen often. every 2 weeks to a month, often enough I guess. The DMP files point at RAM. So I ran a 14 hour Memtest86 on my ram, All 14 tests, 4 passes and got 1 error the first pass and 0 errors the other 3 passes.

Assuming that its my RAM I was going to start an RMA. But they asked me to update BIOs to current, turn off XMP and run the test again 1 stick at a time. Ive never updated BIOS before. I thought I was current but after looking, I am not. Looks like I am Bios version 1601. I see a new version was released this month. 2305.

Ive never updated bios before so Im a bit nervous but up to the challenge. Does anyone know where I can find a step by step instruction on how I should do it safely.

And my next question is, Would out of date bios really throw up just 1 memtest error?

Last question is, To get my RAM to run at its speed(3600) should I not use XMP and manually set it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is solved. Turns out Im using RAM that is not intended to use with the Asus Tuf Gaming z690 plus wifi D4. Im using 4 sticks of 32gb Gskill Ripjaw ram at 3600 and the QVL says its only compatible with 1,2 socket support. Not 4. So my instability is cause by myself not noticing the Socket support in the QVL and using more sticks than I should with an XMP profile. Im the idiot of the day on this one. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

creatureye
Level 9

I just had 3 more BSOD today, first ones Ive had since I made the OG post. 2 While trying to play a game(The Last of Us), and one right after booting back into windows from a BSOD from the game. 

First one
String - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 
Code - 0x00000050

Second one
String - DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Code - 0x000000f7

Third one
String - Nothing listed
Code 0x00000139

Any help would be super appreciated. 
I notice my bios is not to its most recent version, Would that cause these BSOD?

Seems like I see these BSOD when under a heavy load.

I have ran Cinebench r23 with no issues at all and no over heating.

Im going to run another memtest starting tonight when I go to bed. Last test I ran passed after 4 passes.
I have made sure all my drivers are up to date, Windows, GPU, Mobo 
Should I shut off XMP?

I posted here because I assumed I didnt have my RAM set up correctly in Bios. Now I think its something else. 

Quick question

I have my RAM set on XMP 1. Should I use XMP 2 Instead? Could the XMP setting cause RAM issues like the BSOD Im having? Should I manually set the settings?

UPDATE

I just updated BIOS on my TUF Gaming z690 plus wifi D4 to version 2305. And tonight I will run another memtest86 run with XMP disabled when I go to bed. If I get no errors I will then enable XMP 1 and do another memtest run. If both pass then I think we'll know if a BIOS update fixed my issue. Hopefully. Keeping fingers crossed!

This is solved. Turns out Im using RAM that is not intended to use with the Asus Tuf Gaming z690 plus wifi D4. Im using 4 sticks of 32gb Gskill Ripjaw ram at 3600 and the QVL says its only compatible with 1,2 socket support. Not 4. So my instability is cause by myself not noticing the Socket support in the QVL and using more sticks than I should with an XMP profile. Im the idiot of the day on this one.