cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Hero and GSkill Trident Z5 6000 CL 36

ShannyMan
Level 7
I recently installed 4 sticks of G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 CL36 (6000U3636E16GX2) into my Z690 Maximus Hero board. The RAM runs fine and the system is stable at 4800 using no XMP settings, but when I try to switch to either XMP I or II, the system fails to boot and enters safe boot mode after about 5 minutes.

I saw this thread talking about burnout on the motherboard, and it seems like others have had similar issues, so I'm not in a hurry to get this working, but it seems like others have gotten it working. Has anyone else had problems or figured how to get it to boot using the 6000/CL36 XMP settings? I've installed the latest BIOS, 0803. I saw someone else mention there was another, newer BIOS, but I hesitate to install a beta version. Maybe this will fix it. UPDATE: The now officially released 0811 firmware did not fix this issue either.

I also noticed this RAM is not on the QVL yet, nor are any other modules with this low of timing.

Thanks!
39 REPLIES 39

chsoriano wrote:
You can make a visual inspection of the board as well. Look for the capacitor just above and slightly to the right of the DIMM slots. Positive (stripe) side should be on the right. This isn't my photo but here's a picture showing the capacitor backwards (defective).

I ended up replacing my Z690 Hero with a Z690 Extreme board since I wasn't able to find a Z690 Hero that was not affected.

Thank you for the information. Visual confirmation and with the serial number, I can confirm I have a defective board. Did you have it replaced through Asus? I asked if they would swap it for a Formula and they said no, only for Hero whenever they get any, which they said they have none. Maybe Newegg will honor a replacement while they let me pay for the difference to get the Formula.

Ugh, have to completely reinstall Windows and all my programs, what a complete nightmare.

Edwin7700 wrote:
Thank you for the information. Visual confirmation and with the serial number, I can confirm I have a defective board. Did you have it replaced through Asus? I asked if they would swap it for a Formula and they said no, only for Hero whenever they get any, which they said they have none. Maybe Newegg will honor a replacement while they let me pay for the difference to get the Formula.

Ugh, have to completely reinstall Windows and all my programs, what a complete nightmare.

If you're replacing with the same board, you shouldn't need to reinstall Windows.

ShannyMan wrote:
If you're replacing with the same board, you shouldn't need to reinstall Windows.

Newegg let me return the board since Asus did not have any replacements for the Hero at the moment so I went with the Formula and paid the difference.

Running 5GHz with the 16x4 setup everything else set to auto, Memtest passed.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to increase after I get a stable run for the CPU overclock.

Edwin7700 wrote:
Newegg let me return the board since Asus did not have any replacements for the Hero at the moment so I went with the Formula and paid the difference.

Running 5GHz with the 16x4 setup everything else set to auto, Memtest passed.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to increase after I get a stable run for the CPU overclock.

Nice, let us know how the Formula works out @ 6000.
I ended up replacing my Hero with the Extreme board. I ultimately ended up having to change voltages to pass memtest (VDD = 1.35 / VDDQ = 1.40)

chsoriano wrote:
Nice, let us know how the Formula works out @ 6000.
I ended up replacing my Hero with the Extreme board. I ultimately ended up having to change voltages to pass memtest (VDD = 1.35 / VDDQ = 1.40)

So far, stable at 5200 all set to auto and tested with Memtest. No boot at 6000. Will try to increase slowly when I have more time.

I am not that experienced with these new boards and their huge range of customizability, I think the last build I manually overclocked was a Q6600 LOL

I need to do some research on how to change all the parameters safely.

Yeah, same here.
I am still only running 2x16GB sticks, seemingly stable at 6000Mhz, default timings, but the higher VDD/VDDQ.

I'm not sure if I want to take my chances on 4x16GB or 2x32GB (if/when I can get my hands on more kits). For now I'm just glad I can play my games again!

chsoriano wrote:
Yeah, same here.
I am still only running 2x16GB sticks, seemingly stable at 6000Mhz, default timings, but the higher VDD/VDDQ.

I'm not sure if I want to take my chances on 4x16GB or 2x32GB (if/when I can get my hands on more kits). For now I'm just glad I can play my games again!

I spoke too soon, Memtest passed fine but it crashes playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Went back down to 5000GHz and it runs fine. It may be a voltage issue but I that is a lot of trial and error.

I might just keep it the 4x16GB at 5000GHz for now until a set of 2x32GB with higher speed is available.

Edwin7700 wrote:
I spoke too soon, Memtest passed fine but it crashes playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Went back down to 5000GHz and it runs fine. It may be a voltage issue but I that is a lot of trial and error.

I might just keep it the 4x16GB at 5000GHz for now until a set of 2x32GB with higher speed is available.

Memtest doesn't give you much more than a baseline. Use Karhu Ramtest or TM5
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Just to give an update, with Bios 1003, I was able to get 4x16GB at 6000MHz on the Formula board.

More info on the thread below, post #31:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127169-Road-to-XMP-stability-DDR5-4x16-(GSkill-6000CL36)-o...

Just build a new PC with this combo, 2x16gb kit. XMP I and II boot ok, but 3D mark Time Spy physics test was crashing. Increased ram voltage from 1.35 to 1.4V and no crashes so far. I have the Karhu ramtest and did run it for 2000% without errors, but DIMM temps were reaching 70C.. I know DDR5 can and will run hotter than DDR4, but what is safe? Its a custom loop system and no airflow around the ram.