cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Hero and GSkill Trident Z5 6000 CL 36

ShannyMan
Level 7
I recently installed 4 sticks of G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 CL36 (6000U3636E16GX2) into my Z690 Maximus Hero board. The RAM runs fine and the system is stable at 4800 using no XMP settings, but when I try to switch to either XMP I or II, the system fails to boot and enters safe boot mode after about 5 minutes.

I saw this thread talking about burnout on the motherboard, and it seems like others have had similar issues, so I'm not in a hurry to get this working, but it seems like others have gotten it working. Has anyone else had problems or figured how to get it to boot using the 6000/CL36 XMP settings? I've installed the latest BIOS, 0803. I saw someone else mention there was another, newer BIOS, but I hesitate to install a beta version. Maybe this will fix it. UPDATE: The now officially released 0811 firmware did not fix this issue either.

I also noticed this RAM is not on the QVL yet, nor are any other modules with this low of timing.

Thanks!
39 REPLIES 39

Laserkari wrote:
Just build a new PC with this combo, 2x16gb kit. XMP I and II boot ok, but 3D mark Time Spy physics test was crashing. Increased ram voltage from 1.35 to 1.4V and no crashes so far. I have the Karhu ramtest and did run it for 2000% without errors, but DIMM temps were reaching 70C.. I know DDR5 can and will run hotter than DDR4, but what is safe? Its a custom loop system and no airflow around the ram.

Yes, that's well within tolerance, but always better to have active cooling where possible as this can aid stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Edwin7700 wrote:
So I was able to run a successful MemTest at 5000MHz with my 16GBx4. I need to double check the latency but I think it was CL42. I can double check this weekend. I had set everything to auto except for the speed.

On a side note, I have to check my board's S/N to make sure it is not one of the affected batches. Ugh, it would be a nightmare to have to swap out the board!

I backed mine down to 4800 this weekend and it's been rock solid so far. Everything else is using the XMP settings for CL36. I'm not sure if it's using XMP I or II.

ShannyMan wrote:
So it sounds like the short answer to my original question, is that this isn't possible and those XMP profiles for 4x16GB aren't supported. Is that correct? Is this something that may be supported later with a BIOS update? I'm not going to hold you to it, but just want to understand if this is some limitation which can be overcome or not. I was hoping the most recent BIOS, which hasn't been publicly released yet, may fix it. I do see some supported 4x16GB configurations on the QVL but not at 6K speed. Thanks.

At this point given the effective range of running two sticks, I would say that 4x16 6K is not possible on this gen, or it will be highly unobtainable without a good IMC.

Edwin7700 wrote:
I have the same issue with the same board and RAM sticks.

Z690 Hero
4xDIMMs of GSkill 6000 CL36 2x (2x16GB)

Running only 2 DIMMs I can get XMP I to work but II gets errors on Memtest. When I run 4 DIMMs, XMP I & II get no boot.

Curious to see what others are doing to get this to work even close to 6000MHz.

I have 2x16gb TridentZ5@6000MHz, after enabling XMP II profile memory started to work properly at their speed with no errors, XMP I was a mess.

tawzzer
Level 8
ShannyMan wrote:
I recently installed 4 sticks of G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 CL36 (6000U3636E16GX2) into my Z690 Maximus Hero board. The RAM runs fine and the system is stable at 4800 using no XMP settings, but when I try to switch to either XMP I or II, the system fails to boot and enters safe boot mode after about 5 minutes.

I saw this thread talking about burnout on the motherboard, and it seems like others have had similar issues, so I'm not in a hurry to get this working, but it seems like others have gotten it working. Has anyone else had problems or figured how to get it to boot using the 6000/CL36 XMP settings? I've installed the latest BIOS, 0803. I saw someone else mention there was another, newer BIOS, but I hesitate to install a beta version. Maybe this will fix it. UPDATE: The now officially released 0811 firmware did not fix this issue either.

I also noticed this RAM is not on the QVL yet, nor are any other modules with this low of timing.

Thanks!

I have Corsair Platinum 5200 2X16Gb kit. On the original BIOS, I couldn't get XMP setting to take, until I swapped the slots the DIMMS where in, they should be in the 2nd channel. But I couldn't get the built in presets to work until I flashed the BIOS to 811. With the 811 BIOS I could then get the 5400 pre-set to work and even change the speed to 5600, but it wasn't stable it would bluescreen after 30-60 minutes. But the problem I have now, is that the pre-set have stopped working. It will allow me to load the 2X16 Micron 5400 pre-set, but it doesn't change the speed to 5400, it keeps it at 5200, and if I change the speed manually to 5400, it won't POST. Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas? It's driving me nuts, these small increases in speed seem to have a massive effect, well they do, doing benchmarks, IDK if you'd notice them day to day.

Undertoker
Level 9
ShannyMan wrote:

Thanks!

I have a similar issue with my two Asus boards and G.skill z5 6000 cl40 *
My hero board was a pain in the ass frankly and as soon as I upgraded the bios to anything over 811 the gpu performance halved.
I use an Asus ROG Strix 3090 oc
*No amount of researching could find a fix and the support now from Asus is simply non existent, posts on here went unanswered and you have to jump through so many hoops to speak to anyone it’s a joke.

The memory in this hero board also would boot at 6000 (the XMP profiles) but it was never stable. *In the end the hero board was so much aggro it went into a drawer and I bought with an extreme board out of desperation, the hero board remains in a drawer unused and a total waste of £500 *
This got rid of the bios/gpu issue Â*and I now run a 12900ks on bios 1403 with the gpu now working as it should, however the ddr5 memory is still a pain in the ass. It simply will not run stable at anything above 4800mhz
It crashes randomly - perhaps within five mins to half an hour.
I have tried everything I can think of, including reloading the whole pc, nothing works

The G.skill Ddr5 is Samsung based, but it slowly appears that sadly in ddr5 Samsung does not seem to perform like in did in ddr4 and that Hynix is king in ddr5
So out of desperation for a stable system ive now ordered a set of Corsair dominator ddr5 at 6200 cl36, it is Hynix based and should arrive next week.
I can tell you now if that does not resolve the issue I will never ever again buy an Asus motherboard - ever.
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker wrote:
I have a similar issue with my two Asus boards and G.skill z5 6000 cl40 *
My hero board was a pain in the ass frankly and as soon as I upgraded the bios to anything over 811 the gpu performance halved.
I use an Asus ROG Strix 3090 oc
*No amount of researching could find a fix and the support now from Asus is simply non existent, posts on here went unanswered and you have to jump through so many hoops to speak to anyone it’s a joke.

The memory in this hero board also would boot at 6000 (the XMP profiles) but it was never stable. *In the end the hero board was so much aggro it went into a drawer and I bought with an extreme board out of desperation, the hero board remains in a drawer unused and a total waste of £500 *
This got rid of the bios/gpu issue Â*and I now run a 12900ks on bios 1403 with the gpu now working as it should, however the ddr5 memory is still a pain in the ass. It simply will not run stable at anything above 4800mhz
It crashes randomly - perhaps within five mins to half an hour.
I have tried everything I can think of, including reloading the whole pc, nothing works

The G.skill Ddr5 is Samsung based, but it slowly appears that sadly in ddr5 Samsung does not seem to perform like in did in ddr4 and that Hynix is king in ddr5
So out of desperation for a stable system ive now ordered a set of Corsair dominator ddr5 at 6200 cl36, it is Hynix based and should arrive next week.
I can tell you now if that does not resolve the issue I will never ever again buy an Asus motherboard - ever.

Are you not combining memory kits?

From your post here, it seems that way.

Undertoker wrote:
Perhaps consider releasing boards that actually run memory in all four sockets at the advertised speeds
Z690 is proving a nightmare for memory - now is that down to the board and bios or the memory ?

I ask as I see loads of issues relating to memory on z690, far more than is usual or normal for a new platform.
Before looking for suggestions about new features I’d suggest actually getting the current ones advertised to do as it says on the box tbh
Once that has been achieved only then should you look at adding new bells and whistles - that my penneth*

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Are you not combining memory kits?

From your post here, it seems that way.

No not mixing kits at all, I am sorry it was not clear , but I am currently running the 32gb g.skill two stick kit of ddr5 6000mhz cl40 in a four slot board, leaving two slots empty (I do use a2 and b2)
*firstly the Asus hero then after a lot of aggro an Asus extreme board, I plan to get a second 32gb set of Corsair memory simply to bin the g skill kit in honesty, I will not mix them and for me 32Gb is plenty *
In honesty if I buy a two 32gb stick kit of ddr5 *in two 16gb sticks that should be running at 6000mhz in XMP I want them to run exactly at that at the very least, these g.skill won’t
Sadly my g.skill memory sticks simply will not run at anything more then 4800mhz without then getting progressively unstable the more I bump them up from 4800 and closer to the advertised threshold of 6000. They just will not achieve either of the two XMP *profile’s and be stable sadly. *

These g.skill im running are Samsung ic based memory and I have done a fair bit of research now trying to resolve the issue and it seems that people “in the know” so to speak are opting now for Hynix based ddr5 simply because it works better on ddr5 than Samsung does on ddr5

*So to confirm this I have *ordered a 32gb kit of Corsair platinum dominator dd5 at a slightly faster 6200mhz and cl36 , it is Hynix based so I am about to test the theory of it being a better kit than the 32gb g.skill Samsung based kit.
I will make a point of telling you all how I get on, the Corsair kit is due to arrive on Tuesday - it has pissed me off tbh, the whole 12th gen experience on these Asus boards just has not been good or enjoyable, it has been aggro.

*With this second ddr5 kit fitted to replace the g.skill I hope to eliminate the memory as the issue, if it is still unstable at the XMP with the Corsair ddr5 kit then is clearly down to the Asus bios on the boards - I am hoping it is the g.skill memory that is at fault, I will know shortly either way.
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker
Level 9
So just a quick update the corsair dominator platinum arrived - a 6200mhz CL36 32GB kit
The difference between this memory and the G.Skill 6000mhz CL40 32GB kit is like night and day
This Corsair DDR5 breezed through the stress test in XMP profile II easily for over 3 hours, the system ran overclocked to peak at 5.7Ghz faultlessly and this is something the G.Skill could simply never do in any XMP profile , its would just fall over.
At last i now have the peace i was looking for.

So the Corsair Dominator Platinum is Hynix based where as the G.Skill Memory is Samsung based , in honesty guys the Hynix is far better and i genuinly beleive its a case of waiting for another Samsung B die yet again with DDR5.......
It's bloody annoying that they release expensive memory that simply does not do the XMP profile it says it will and id urge Asus to look at their XMP profiles voltages for G.Skill DDR5 before it totally ruins G.Skill's reputation with DDR5...

I will sadly now never again buy G.Skill Memory and i can tell you for me its really damaged their brand as i see G.Skill and DDR5 issues mentioned loads in these forums and loads in many other forums as well, so clearly it is a wider issue than just me and there is foundation to it.

Go with Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 with Alderlake guys is my advice after an expensive mistake with G.Skill and make sure it is Hynix based and youll get the XMP profile that is offered on the box - it really is that simple.

If anyone wants to purchase a G.Skill DDR5 set of 6000mhz CL40 memory that doesnt like actually doing 6000 then pm me 🙂
(dont is my honest advice)

My guess is that it may be a case probably of a poor Asus bios with voltage settings for G.Skill XMP profiles that simply wont support the XMP (at least i hope this is the case), so i do expect this memory to eventually be fine with an eventual Asus Z690 bios revision, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for me after spending over £400 on a set of G.Skill DDR5 that will just sit in my drawer gathering dust now as im not the kid of guy to sell it on like others would and give someone else my problem.
So for me its tainted my opinion of G.Skill memory now which was very good with DDR4 which is a shame.
Im guessing G.Skill will be aware, a quick look across this forum alone tells the story - not a good start for G.Skill and its DDR5
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker wrote:
So just a quick update the corsair dominator platinum arrived - a 6200mhz CL36 32GB kit
The difference between this memory and the G.Skill 6000mhz CL40 32GB kit is like night and day
This Corsair DDR5 breezed through the stress test in XMP profile II easily for over 3 hours, the system ran overclocked to peak at 5.7Ghz faultlessly and this is something the G.Skill could simply never do in any XMP profile , its would just fall over.
At last i now have the peace i was looking for.

So the Corsair Dominator Platinum is Hynix based where as the G.Skill Memory is Samsung based , in honesty guys the Hynix is far better and i genuinly beleive its a case of waiting for another Samsung B die yet again with DDR5.......
It's bloody annoying that they release expensive memory that simply does not do the XMP profile it says it will and id urge Asus to look at their XMP profiles voltages for G.Skill DDR5 before it totally ruins G.Skill's reputation with DDR5...

I will sadly now never again buy G.Skill Memory and i can tell you for me its really damaged their brand as i see G.Skill and DDR5 issues mentioned loads in these forums and loads in many other forums as well, so clearly it is a wider issue than just me and there is foundation to it.

Go with Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 with Alderlake guys is my advice after an expensive mistake with G.Skill and make sure it is Hynix based and youll get the XMP profile that is offered on the box - it really is that simple.

If anyone wants to purchase a G.Skill DDR5 set of 6000mhz CL40 memory that doesnt like actually doing 6000 then pm me 🙂
(dont is my honest advice)

My guess is that it may be a case probably of a poor Asus bios with voltage settings for G.Skill XMP profiles that simply wont support the XMP (at least i hope this is the case), so i do expect this memory to eventually be fine with an eventual Asus Z690 bios revision, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for me after spending over £400 on a set of G.Skill DDR5 that will just sit in my drawer gathering dust now as im not the kid of guy to sell it on like others would and give someone else my problem.
So for me its tainted my opinion of G.Skill memory now which was very good with DDR4 which is a shame.
Im guessing G.Skill will be aware, a quick look across this forum alone tells the story - not a good start for G.Skill and its DDR5

Hello,

As you've already alluded to, the CL40 6000MT kit is Samsung and the kit you're using now is Hynix. The two kits aren't really directly comparable. It's no easy task dialling in multiple settings outside of reference code in order to meet the criteria of multiple memory IC types and CPU preferred voltages. Moreover, some IC types fall out of favour with some platforms over others. It just so happens that Hynix is better this time around.

That said, these things can be dialled out or some CPUs won't be as particular depending on the desired frequency.

Below results are all on Samsung IC (6000C36 GSKILL)

6000MT

6200MT

6400MT

6600MT

6800MT