cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Hero and GSkill Trident Z5 6000 CL 36

ShannyMan
Level 7
I recently installed 4 sticks of G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 CL36 (6000U3636E16GX2) into my Z690 Maximus Hero board. The RAM runs fine and the system is stable at 4800 using no XMP settings, but when I try to switch to either XMP I or II, the system fails to boot and enters safe boot mode after about 5 minutes.

I saw this thread talking about burnout on the motherboard, and it seems like others have had similar issues, so I'm not in a hurry to get this working, but it seems like others have gotten it working. Has anyone else had problems or figured how to get it to boot using the 6000/CL36 XMP settings? I've installed the latest BIOS, 0803. I saw someone else mention there was another, newer BIOS, but I hesitate to install a beta version. Maybe this will fix it. UPDATE: The now officially released 0811 firmware did not fix this issue either.

I also noticed this RAM is not on the QVL yet, nor are any other modules with this low of timing.

Thanks!
39 REPLIES 39

sinmurv wrote:
Thanks for the update man! I will post in a week when I am done building. I will start with vanilla XMP 1 Â*at 5600, run a few stability tests and start tweaking things around.Â*

After the weekend of a lot of gaming, I think I'm going to have to dial this down again. I'm not 100% sure this is related, but my game crashed (various errors, DX11 errors) about a half dozen times. Hard to know if that's related to the RAM or if it's the game, but the game didn't seem to crash that much before. I also got one BSOD. Again, one isn't enough to know for sure if it's related. It's certainly less than I had at 5867, but I'd prefer zero, so I'll try some more and see. Hopefully the new year will bring a new BIOS version to support this fully.

ShannyMan wrote:
After the weekend of a lot of gaming, I think I'm going to have to dial this down again. I'm not 100% sure this is related, but my game crashed (various errors, DX11 errors) about a half dozen times. Hard to know if that's related to the RAM or if it's the game, but the game didn't seem to crash that much before. I also got one BSOD. Again, one isn't enough to know for sure if it's related. It's certainly less than I had at 5867, but I'd prefer zero, so I'll try some more and see. Hopefully the new year will bring a new BIOS version to support this fully.

hey there! So I will be done with my build by Saturday. I did update the BIOS to the one launched on 01/05. Take a look at that and see if that is any better?Â*

Right now test benching it; vanilla R23 Cinebench score is 27116. No overclock. 6000MhzC36 2x16 is stable. Let me try 4x16 nextÂ*

Again, get the new BIOS and checkÂ*

I have G.Skill 5600mhz CL36. XMP I and II crashes while gaming, but stock speeds @4800C40 works fine.
Latest BIOS and so on. Kind of frustating as I was planning to try OC to 6000C32 later on.
Not sure if this is really just RAM related, or some Win 11 error as well.

Anybody has an issue while running Win 10?

kukizas wrote:
I have G.Skill 5600mhz CL36. XMP I and II crashes while gaming, but stock speeds @4800C40 works fine.
Latest BIOS and so on. Kind of frustating as I was planning to try OC to 6000C32 later on.
Not sure if this is really just RAM related, or some Win 11 error as well.

Anybody has an issue while running Win 10?

something else is happening here. I have two sticks stable at 6000 XMP1 C36 (stock timings and speed). Perhaps bad RAM?Â*

sinmurv wrote:
something else is happening here. I have two sticks stable at 6000 XMP1 C36 (stock timings and speed). Perhaps bad RAM?Â*

Run multiple tests with Memtest86 with XMP1 and XMP2, no errors 😕

I have the same issue with the same board and RAM sticks.

Z690 Hero
4xDIMMs of GSkill 6000 CL36 2x (2x16GB)

Running only 2 DIMMs I can get XMP I to work but II gets errors on Memtest. When I run 4 DIMMs, XMP I & II get no boot.

Curious to see what others are doing to get this to work even close to 6000MHz.

Edwin7700 wrote:
I have the same issue with the same board and RAM sticks.

Z690 Hero
4xDIMMs of GSkill 6000 CL36 2x (2x16GB)

Running only 2 DIMMs I can get XMP I to work but II gets errors on Memtest. When I run 4 DIMMs, XMP I & II get no boot.

Curious to see what others are doing to get this to work even close to 6000MHz.

Hello,

You won't. 4X16 6K isn't possible.

If you're combining memory kits, which isn't recommended, you'll have to tune manually. Aim for between 4400-4800

Easiest approach is a combination of VDD/VDDQ/VCCSA/MCVDD
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

You won't. 4X16 6K isn't possible.

If you're combining memory kits, which isn't recommended, you'll have to tune manually. Aim for between 4400-4800

Easiest approach is a combination of VDD/VDDQ/VCCSA/MCVDD

So it sounds like the short answer to my original question, is that this isn't possible and those XMP profiles for 4x16GB aren't supported. Is that correct? Is this something that may be supported later with a BIOS update? I'm not going to hold you to it, but just want to understand if this is some limitation which can be overcome or not. I was hoping the most recent BIOS, which hasn't been publicly released yet, may fix it. I do see some supported 4x16GB configurations on the QVL but not at 6K speed. Thanks.

So I was able to run a successful MemTest at 5000MHz with my 16GBx4. I need to double check the latency but I think it was CL42. I can double check this weekend. I had set everything to auto except for the speed.

On a side note, I have to check my board's S/N to make sure it is not one of the affected batches. Ugh, it would be a nightmare to have to swap out the board!

Edwin7700 wrote:
So I was able to run a successful MemTest at 5000MHz with my 16GBx4. I need to double check the latency but I think it was CL42. I can double check this weekend. I had set everything to auto except for the speed.

On a side note, I have to check my board's S/N to make sure it is not one of the affected batches. Ugh, it would be a nightmare to have to swap out the board!

You can make a visual inspection of the board as well. Look for the capacitor just above and slightly to the right of the DIMM slots. Positive (stripe) side should be on the right. This isn't my photo but here's a picture showing the capacitor backwards (defective).

I ended up replacing my Z690 Hero with a Z690 Extreme board since I wasn't able to find a Z690 Hero that was not affected.