cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390-E Nvme M.2 installation

MegaXZeo
Level 7
Hello,

I have a question for anyone experienced with installing M.2 drives.

When I removed the shield covering the M.2 slot, I noticed on the back of it, theres a bit of double sided sticky tape. It has a "remove" label on it, but I cant see any guides where anyone is recommending to remove it, and the manual doesnt speak about it at all. The tape obviously says to remove, but it also seems pretty sticky. Is it a good idea to have this contacting the M.2 drive?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

rjbarker
Level 11
Its a thermal pad...remove the thermal pad cover...(its say to remove right on it)...that way your M.2 Drive makes contact with the thermal pad...

rjbarker wrote:
Its a thermal pad...remove the thermal pad cover...(its say to remove right on it)...that way your M.2 Drive makes contact with the thermal pad...

Thanks, I wont lie, I was mildly intoxicated last night haha. I don't know why I didnt realize earlier that it was probably just a thermal pad.

Thanks again haha!

It is a bit confusing at first because it does not appear to be like standard thermo pad I've seen in the past. It's almost more like an adhesive tape.

But, yes. Remove it for sure. That protective cover will probably melt as soon as the SSD gets hot enough and THEN you'll really have a mess.