cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 Strix + Samsung 960 pro SSD disappears on reboot

java2
Level 7
I just installed Samsung 960 pro (M2 NVME) SSD on my X99 Strix board with Windows 10 installed.
The SSD is booted normally for initial power on. However, the SSD will be disappeared no matter BIOS or Windows reboot and the PC will go into BIOS after reboot.
I have to power off and power on again to bring it back and boot up.
Any idea what happen?
49 REPLIES 49

java2 wrote:
how worse about the performance you heard of the new firmware?
unless it have significant performance degrade, it may worth to apply it to resolve drive disappears problem.

I read some ppl complaining about a 1000 MB/s loss which is huge. But of course that might have various reasons. I will leave me setup the way it is. The difference to you is that I only use my 960 Evo 1 TB as a separate media drive, not for windows though which works fine. Also these problem seem to be directly related to the Asus X99-A II.

Good news.

Solved the problem.
I noticed people were talking about "higher" bios numbers for the R5E, which I found weird since her software (not the bios one) kept saying my bios was updated.

My SSD was going to be wasted as a storage unit, so I went and checked the board's page just to find out that several new bios existed and from a point in time, the bios had been updated to support NVMe.

Well, downloaded the latest bios via the flashback software. 5 minutes later my board was dead.
Went back to the page and got one with the SSD support and older than the one who failed.
Put the file in a fat32 pen. shoved in the ROG Connect USB port, and updated the bios.

From this point on, when I saw the bios acting as it should, went in and noticed the SSD was there, detected by the boad bios and active.
"Unplugged" my HDD, left only the SSD, plugged the bootable pen, and 10 minutes later I was in the windows desktop, on the SSD.

Bottom line is:
- 5820k CPU
- 1 GTX980 GPU
- 1 m.2 NVMe 960 PRO (booting)
- 1 Rampage V Extreme Motherboard

They're fully compatible with each other.
If the board does not "see" the SSD, check if her bios version supports NVMe at her page.

6h15m AM. Got me all night but fixed it.
Hope it helps or reassures someone with the same setup as me. 🙂

congrat, is your ssd stills there upon reboot?

Malahmen wrote:
Good news.

Solved the problem.
I noticed people were talking about "higher" bios numbers for the R5E, which I found weird since her software (not the bios one) kept saying my bios was updated.

My SSD was going to be wasted as a storage unit, so I went and checked the board's page just to find out that several new bios existed and from a point in time, the bios had been updated to support NVMe.

Well, downloaded the latest bios via the flashback software. 5 minutes later my board was dead.
Went back to the page and got one with the SSD support and older than the one who failed.
Put the file in a fat32 pen. shoved in the ROG Connect USB port, and updated the bios.

From this point on, when I saw the bios acting as it should, went in and noticed the SSD was there, detected by the boad bios and active.
"Unplugged" my HDD, left only the SSD, plugged the bootable pen, and 10 minutes later I was in the windows desktop, on the SSD.

Bottom line is:
- 5820k CPU
- 1 GTX980 GPU
- 1 m.2 NVMe 960 PRO (booting)
- 1 Rampage V Extreme Motherboard

They're fully compatible with each other.
If the board does not "see" the SSD, check if her bios version supports NVMe at her page.

6h15m AM. Got me all night but fixed it.
Hope it helps or reassures someone with the same setup as me. 🙂

Hi,
i have exactly the same problem.
My system: Asus ROG x99 Strix gaming (Bios 1401)- 6800k - M.2 Samsung 960 Pro (latest Samsung Driver 2.1).
When i restart from Windows or Bios it will loose the M.2 960 pro and Windows10 doesn't start, it will pop back up in Bios again
If i power down the system completely and push start, 960 pro M.2 is back and system boots nominal.

I have tried every possible bios configuration setting, but no luck. On certain tipps and hints from the web, i have even tried:
- loading Bios Default settings
- CMOS reset
- reinstalled Windows
- moved all other SATA drive around between the different ports.

NO LUCK !!!

i am quite certain now, that this is no defective MoBo or M.2, but some kind of incompatibility between those two.
Not sure, if bios needs a fix or M.2....

Sounds harsh, but i am quite happy, that i am not the only one with exact this problem 🙂

Thanks

you have same config and same problem exactly as me.
the sdd works well and the performance is great on initial power. i also tried bios upgrade from 1201 to 1401 and reload bios default settings but no luck. it may not be a big issue that it's not often to reboot except some windows update or software installation. however, i'm not sure whether it is hardware bugs or it can be solved by bios/firmware upgrade in future so i have returned to amazon for refund.

anyway, hope it will have fixed in future bios/firmware upgrade.

adtbm wrote:
Hi,
i have exactly the same problem.
My system: Asus ROG x99 Strix gaming (Bios 1401)- 6800k - M.2 Samsung 960 Pro (latest Samsung Driver 2.1).
When i restart from Windows or Bios it will loose the M.2 960 pro and Windows10 doesn't start, it will pop back up in Bios again
If i power down the system completely and push start, 960 pro M.2 is back and system boots nominal.

I have tried every possible bios configuration setting, but no luck. On certain tipps and hints from the web, i have even tried:
- loading Bios Default settings
- CMOS reset
- reinstalled Windows
- moved all other SATA drive around between the different ports.

NO LUCK !!!

i am quite certain now, that this is no defective MoBo or M.2, but some kind of incompatibility between those two.
Not sure, if bios needs a fix or M.2....

Sounds harsh, but i am quite happy, that i am not the only one with exact this problem 🙂

Thanks

@java2 Only now I've noticed you got a different mobo. Yeah, you got the last bios too.
Damn... 😐

since the last ASUS Bios Update to Version 1504 (from the 10th of March)
The Samsung NVMe 960pro is getting recognised always !!! YIPPIIIEEEE !

As a suggestion save your current BIOS Profile BEFORE applying the new BIOS, since all your settings will be gone...
... i have just learned it the hard way 😞

So Problem solved, now you can "save and Exit" your BIOS or select "Restart" in Windows and it will work !

adtbm wrote:
since the last ASUS Bios Update to Version 1504 (from the 10th of March)
The Samsung NVMe 960pro is getting recognised always !!! YIPPIIIEEEE !

As a suggestion save your current BIOS Profile BEFORE applying the new BIOS, since all your settings will be gone...
... i have just learned it the hard way 😞

So Problem solved, now you can "save and Exit" your BIOS or select "Restart" in Windows and it will work !

What size SSD do you have?

I have a Strix X99 Gaming w/ BIOS 1504 + 6800k + 1TB 960 Pro = SSD still does not show up on reboot.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and registered just to share my solution with you.

I got the same setup, i7 6800K, Strix X99 and Samsung nvme SSD 960 Pro 1TB.

Unlike you guys I came across this bug by accident because I had my old Creative Titanium HD that was previously built into another PC lying around and thought I could use it again. So I built it into the PCIe 2.0 x1_2 Slot because slot 1_1 is blocked by the GPU. And here it all began.

I had the exact same behaviour as most of you, cold start all fine, reboot SSD not found. I read through a lot of forums and of course the manual and found no logical reason for this bug. I even updated the MOBO to BIOS v1504 and still no change.

So the (SOLUTION) was to remove the sound card and leave my setup with only the GPU and the SSD. This of course is not really satisfying even if the sound of the onboards soundcard is pretty good and I heard no difference between them, but still it is pretty annoying to know that I can't use all PCIe slots of my pretty expensive MOBO without running into problems.

So to the guys with extra PCIe cards, try removing them and see if it fixes the problem like in my case.

I also would like to add that it is rather unlikely that the CPU is the root of all this because the only two things that use CPU lanes on this MOBO are the three PCIe 3.0 x16 slots and the M.2/U.2 slot. All other PCIe slots are managed by the X99 chip. Because of this my conclusion is that the MOBOs PCIe management is buggy and not the SSDs firmware, of course it could be a mix of both but all I know is that it is no defect and nothing we can correct because it is either the BIOS, the SSDs firmware or a mix of both, so we have to wait for Samsung and Asus to fix this problem.

I hope this clears things up for some of you.

N3xiz wrote:
Hello, I'm new to the forum and registered just to share my solution with you.

I got the same setup, i7 6800K, Strix X99 and Samsung nvme SSD 960 Pro 1TB.

Unlike you guys I came across this bug by accident because I had my old Creative Titanium HD that was previously built into another PC lying around and thought I could use it again. So I built it into the PCIe 2.0 x1_2 Slot because slot 1_1 is blocked by the GPU. And here it all began.

I had the exact same behaviour as most of you, cold start all fine, reboot SSD not found. I read through a lot of forums and of course the manual and found no logical reason for this bug. I even updated the MOBO to BIOS v1504 and still no change.

So the (SOLUTION) was to remove the sound card and leave my setup with only the GPU and the SSD. This of course is not really satisfying even if the sound of the onboards soundcard is pretty good and I heard no difference between them, but still it is pretty annoying to know that I can't use all PCIe slots of my pretty expensive MOBO without running into problems.

So to the guys with extra PCIe cards, try removing them and see if it fixes the problem like in my case.

I also would like to add that it is rather unlikely that the CPU is the root of all this because the only two things that use CPU lanes on this MOBO are the three PCIe 3.0 x16 slots and the M.2/U.2 slot. All other PCIe slots are managed by the X99 chip. Because of this my conclusion is that the MOBOs PCIe management is buggy and not the SSDs firmware, of course it could be a mix of both but all I know is that it is no defect and nothing we can correct because it is either the BIOS, the SSDs firmware or a mix of both, so we have to wait for Samsung and Asus to fix this problem.

I hope this clears things up for some of you.

IT WORKS!!!!

I have a ASUS Xonar Essence STX so not giving that up. I moved it from slot PCIX1_2 to slot PCIX16_2 and the system reboots. Sound card works and GPU-Z is reporting PCIe x16 3.0 on the GPU.

Thank you very much for your post. I have been dealing with this since I got my 960 Pro 1TB in Jaunuary with a dozen calls and emails to support with no help. You are my hero 🙂

Edit: I emailed ASUS Support on my cases with the resolution so hopefully anyone that calls in will get the solution to this issue. Though I doubt it with my exsperience with ASUS Support.