cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 Strix + Samsung 960 pro SSD disappears on reboot

java2
Level 7
I just installed Samsung 960 pro (M2 NVME) SSD on my X99 Strix board with Windows 10 installed.
The SSD is booted normally for initial power on. However, the SSD will be disappeared no matter BIOS or Windows reboot and the PC will go into BIOS after reboot.
I have to power off and power on again to bring it back and boot up.
Any idea what happen?
49 REPLIES 49

my config (x99 strix + 6800k + 960 pro) is similar to kkn (x99 strix + 6800k + 950 pro) but doesn't have problem.
not sure whether it is 960 pro ssd problem. i also like to know anyone have any asus x99 board + 6800k + 960 pro is working. i doubt 6800k is the root cause.

Malahmen wrote:
Ok, its a different setup.
I'm stuck with my options just the same.

Nevertheless the ssd version shouldn't be the problem.
Shouldn't, doesn't mean it isn't.
There is always that chance.

I just need to know if anyone managed to put one to work with a rampage v extreme (even if with a different processor).
Not going to bust a bunch of cash on a processor then get the same result. 😐

kkn wrote:

If you have a 6800k you should change your signature. It says you have I5 3570K?

haven't read the full thread, but I have an x99 sabertooth with a 960pro m.2 nvme

I have issues where it disappears but all you have to do is go into boot and select drive priority and bump it back to the top of the list. This usually disappears because I have changed my UEFI settings or cleared CMOS. To fix the problem I have an OC profile saved as basic, just all default with the boot priority set correctly so I can always load that to start.

Klute_Onren wrote:
haven't read the full thread, but I have an x99 sabertooth with a 960pro m.2 nvme

I have issues where it disappears but all you have to do is go into boot and select drive priority and bump it back to the top of the list. This usually disappears because I have changed my UEFI settings or cleared CMOS. To fix the problem I have an OC profile saved as basic, just all default with the boot priority set correctly so I can always load that to start.

Yes, that does it if you have your bios updated.
Mine out of the box was only at v603, updating to 806 (something like that).
Which means I couldn't even see the NVMe unit in the bios to select it.

Bottom line is:
- don't trust your software when it says you have the last bios version
- check your bios version and see at the mobo page if it supports the NVMe.
- update the bios by its own flashback option or downloading the latest to a fat32 pen and using the mobo button.

The everything should be easily done, including the situation you just described. 🙂

Klute_Onren wrote:

Sorry, realized a little after posting that I have a 950pro 256g not 960pro

To sum up my issue with the 950pro: the boot order would simply change at times, always due to something I did or setting's resetting after a bad OC. For me at least it was as simple as going into the hdd boot order and re prioritizing the m.2

Menthol
Level 14
jave2, do you have any other pcie cards installed
I have a RVE and RVE10 that I have had no issues using 950/960 on but I have 40 lane CPU's, after you install Windows you should see Windows boot loader as an option in the boot section of the motherboard, if a 950 works a 960 or any pcie M.2 drive will also work

i have 2 pcie cards installed - x16 display card and x1 tv card
the 960 does exists during power on and boot normally. however, it disappears on reboot (windows or bios) and can't boot anymore except power off and on.
if the problem is related to the lack of cpu lanes, the 960 ssd should never shows up.

Menthol wrote:
jave2, do you have any other pcie cards installed
I have a RVE and RVE10 that I have had no issues using 950/960 on but I have 40 lane CPU's, after you install Windows you should see Windows boot loader as an option in the boot section of the motherboard, if a 950 works a 960 or any pcie M.2 drive will also work

java2 wrote:
i have 2 pcie cards installed - x16 display card and x1 tv card
the 960 does exists during power on and boot normally. however, it disappears on reboot (windows or bios) and can't boot anymore except power off and on.
if the problem is related to the lack of cpu lanes, the 960 ssd should never shows up.

When the bios detects the pen as starting disk it probably doesn't launch all its daemons, just the necessary ones, maybe missing the one that limits the pcie slots.
This is just one possible explanation since when the system POSTS the bios already should know which hardware exists so any limitation could be applied.
The thing is, when booting from the pen, no limitation is applied.
As soon as you boot without the pen, the slot limitation is applied as stated in the board manual.

Anyway, I really wish you were right and I am wrong.
That would mean that a solution would be possible even with my CPU.
In my setup I only have a PCIe for the GPU.

Samsung just released a new firmware update for its 960 Evo. According to various posts in other forums the update will fix the issue of disappearance of the drive after reboot or changing BIOS settings. More information here:
https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-superserver-bios-change-can-cause-960-pro-and-evo-to-hide-heres-the...

I have the same issue that the drive disappears after changing BIOS settings. Still it will always be there when I first start my pc which is fine. Although performance is good in benchmarks. On other sides I heard people complaining about worse performance speed after having updated to 2B7QCXE7. Can anyone confirm this? Just don't want to risk my performance.

how worse about the performance you heard of the new firmware?
unless it have significant performance degrade, it may worth to apply it to resolve drive disappears problem.

Alexauwa wrote:
Samsung just released a new firmware update for its 960 Evo. According to various posts in other forums the update will fix the issue of disappearance of the drive after reboot or changing BIOS settings. More information here:
https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-superserver-bios-change-can-cause-960-pro-and-evo-to-hide-heres-the...

I have the same issue that the drive disappears after changing BIOS settings. Still it will always be there when I first start my pc which is fine. Although performance is good in benchmarks. On other sides I heard people complaining about worse performance speed after having updated to 2B7QCXE7. Can anyone confirm this? Just don't want to risk my performance.