cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 Strix + Samsung 960 pro SSD disappears on reboot

java2
Level 7
I just installed Samsung 960 pro (M2 NVME) SSD on my X99 Strix board with Windows 10 installed.
The SSD is booted normally for initial power on. However, the SSD will be disappeared no matter BIOS or Windows reboot and the PC will go into BIOS after reboot.
I have to power off and power on again to bring it back and boot up.
Any idea what happen?
682 Views
49 REPLIES 49

kkn
Level 14
i have the same board, and i do not have that problem.

Well, I got a similar problem with that m.2 model.

My board detects the hard drive so I can start installing the SO into it, then, first boot after install, it vanishes completely, not even in the bios.

I've seen the bios options, and yes, I got a i7-5820k which doesn't show the m.2 options which also sucks.
Think bios version is 603.

Maybe a update will solve it or can I sell the disk since I don't want it for storage?
I wanted it as boot drive.
The situation is kind of frustrating, specially when it seems a "software" issue.

I do not want to buy another CPU, just to be clear. 🙂

which board are you using?
i have flashed the latest bios 1401but still no luck. the ssd is gone upon reboot not even in the bios (it should be found in bios boot option normally).
i just wonder this is ssd problem and i'm going to return it.

Malahmen wrote:
Well, I got a similar problem with that m.2 model.

My board detects the hard drive so I can start installing the SO into it, then, first boot after install, it vanishes completely, not even in the bios.

I've seen the bios options, and yes, I got a i7-5820k which doesn't show the m.2 options which also sucks.
Think bios version is 603.

Maybe a update will solve it or can I sell the disk since I don't want it for storage?
I wanted it as boot drive.
The situation is kind of frustrating, specially when it seems a "software" issue.

I do not want to buy another CPU, just to be clear. 🙂

a rampage v extreme.

read something about switching the Dip to disable the pcie I am not using, since I only use a single vga (which gets 16 lanes).
will have to try it later at home.

I doubt its the ssd since in my case I can detect it when installing the SO.
Its after that, when the bios awakes and fires up all the PCIe slots that my CPU can't afford to detect the ssd to even select him as a boot option.

crossing my fingers for the dip switch...

Just tried the switches.

Bad news, no modifications.

On my mobo manual just says the most stupid thing: m.2 shares lanes with my PCIe 4 which is disabled in a 28 lane processor.

Stupid because that tuning should've been done by software (via bios) or with the dip switches, allowing me to choose which PCIe slots should be active or disabling the last only if I had put them all active on a 28 lane processor.

Suddenly I got frustrated with my motherboard.

There goes a hole in my budget.

My solution is: buy a 40 lane processor and pray someone will buy back your current 28 lane one.

it can't explain why the ssd reappears after power off and on so i doubt whether it is related to 28/40 lanes cpu.

Malahmen wrote:
Just tried the switches.

Bad news, no modifications.

On my mobo manual just says the most stupid thing: m.2 shares lanes with my PCIe 4 which is disabled in a 28 lane processor.

Stupid because that tuning should've been done by software (via bios) or with the dip switches, allowing me to choose which PCIe slots should be active or disabling the last only if I had put them all active on a 28 lane processor.

Suddenly I got frustrated with my motherboard.

There goes a hole in my budget.

My solution is: buy a 40 lane processor and pray someone will buy back your current 28 lane one.

well, I've loaded the default settings, so I don't think that's the problem, unless by default, something is off.
do you know what modifications you made to your's?

kkn wrote:
i got the 950 pro


since the slot is the same, I don't really think its a ssd model problem.
to me its very clearly a bios management problem due to targeting the cpu as unable to run so many lanes.

but if anyone can run a ssd m.2 witha i7-5820k on a rampage v extreme, please let me know how you've configured your bios/mobo. 🙂

i flashed the bios to the latest one and loaded default setting but no luck.

Malahmen wrote:
well, I've loaded the default settings, so I don't think that's the problem, unless by default, something is off.
do you know what modifications you made to your's?