cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 mini or micro atx

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys. I recently got the ideea of building a computer. I am kinda new to this. I want my first computer to be a small one, and I will prefer going with a x99 motherboard. Does anyone know any mini or micro atx motherboard with the x99 socket?
12 REPLIES 12

Korth
Level 14
My mistake, I was tired and typed mATX = Micro ATX, but you're right and I was wrong. mATX = uATX.

The 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes supported by an i7-5820K are still wasted if you only have a single PCIe 3.0 slot to plug into. Motherboards and GPUs which conform to the x32 PCIe 3.0 standard don't exist yet (and it seems they never will, although it's not impossible), so uATX is still locked to x16 PCIe 3.0 and no more. I don't personally see any merit in an X99 uATX system when a Z97 uATX will be better and cost less.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Antronman
Level 10
It's all relative.

You'd think the market would be even smaller, since there isn't much of a point to mATX X99 except for showing off or mobile workstation.

A surprisingly large market, but still tiny.

One of the big selling points is PCIe lanes, I guess.

But I think SFF systems are kewl as fuark.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Raja
Level 13
Its probably even smaller than that - realistically I'd be surprised if it hits 4K. From a business point of view, hardly worth R&D time other than brand perception in certain places.

Of course, that may still be "surprisingly large" to you. To me, it's pretty damn small 🙂