cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670E Hero and ROG THOR 1200P PSU cable part number

AggroMonster
Level 8
Hello folks. Building out a 7950 on a X670E using the THOR 1200P PSU. The motherboard has two 8-pin connectors ATX_12V_1 and ATX_12V_2 each of which requires a PSU cable. No such cable exists with the very top of the line THOR PSU. Anyone have a part number for these? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Murph_9000
Level 14
There were two 4+4 EPS cables included with my Thor 1200P; those should work for the 8 pin EPS connectors. If you need additional cables or extensions, ASUS recommend CableMod. There may be a CableMod discount voucher included with the PSU (I can't remember if the voucher comes with the PSU or with motherboards). The CableMod Classic ModMesh in black looked identical to the cables supplied with my Thor (I'm not certain, but the supplied cables might actually be from CableMod, just a guess). ATX_12V, CPU, and EPS are all the same thing for power cables.

The CableMod RT series (ASUS & SeaSonic) are the ones for the Thor PSUs; the pinouts on the PSU end vary between vendors.

The cables you indicate do not work. 4 of the 8 pins match and the other 4 do not match. I have the voucher but that's not going to help much.

Murph_9000
Level 14
Those 4+4 cables certainly work fine for ATX_12V 8 pin on the Crosshair VIII Extreme. They can be a bit fiddly due to having to hold the two halves together to use them as 8 pin, and get them aligned to the socket, but not that difficult. As far as I'm aware, the 8 pin ATX_12V/EPS connectors have not changed, so are the same on both X570 and X670 boards (and pretty much all recent boards).

I guess it's possible that you got cables that have been incorrectly assembled (e.g. incorrect connectors), but those are the ones that should work for that; I suggest you double check them.

Please look closely and scream at me if I'm wrong.
Here are the sockets on the MOBo: https://imgur.com/QUfAWnN
Here's the 4+4 cable end: https://imgur.com/W2MPijo

The pins circled in yellow on the cable end fit the pins circled in red on the motherboard socket.

The pins that are not circled on the cable end all have the 45 degree cuts across the bottom. Half of the sockets those pins have to fit into are square bottomed. They are not meant to fit together. Are you strongly suggesting I press them in harder despite the socket shape mismatch? I have scruples against the use force, here.

Thanks for your attention, here. It's appreciated!!!

Hello,

the 4+4 pin cable should work as an 8-pin cable.

Have you tried rotating the cable that doesn't fit 180 degrees?

Murph_9000
Level 14
It shouldn't need excessive force to insert. The connector on the left doesn't have the same keying as the socket. Both of my 4+4 cables are in use and difficult to extract for examination, so I can't confirm what they look like. One thing I'm not sure about is whether the 45 degree cuts will fit in a square hole, making them a universal keying (square won't fit in a hole shaped for the cuts, but the cuts _might_ fit in a square hole).

Something to note is that the connectors join together the other way around for 8 pin (not as shown in your photo), i.e. the 2 clips join to form one big clip in the middle (not two clips at the outer edges).

The following from Seasonic shows the same type of 4+4 connectors (at about 0:50), with one of them being all 45 degree cuts, so I think they are intended to be universal. I wouldn't force it, but try the all-cuts side gently, without the other one plugged in, and see if it seems like it might go in. If it works on its own, the problem is just getting the two halves aligned together.

I am in the process of a build with a Rog Thor 850P PSU and a Prime X670P MOBO and have come across the same issue - the PSU connectors DO NOT MATCH UP WITH THOSE ON THE MOBO! Has this been resolved?? I have never had this issue on any other previous builds and am concerned about "forcing" the second 4-pin connector into the 8-pin on the MOBO- I REALLY don't want to fry anything or cause myself problems down the road because of a forced connection. The MOBO manual expressly states that "The power supply plugs are designed to fit in only one orientation" and the PSU manual expressly states "USE ONLY the modular cables bundled with the power supply unit" and "DO NOT use any third party cables or extension cables with this unit". Any input would be much appreciated-

recipe4speed@gmail.com wrote:
I am in the process of a build with a Rog Thor 850P PSU and a Prime X670P MOBO and have come across the same issue - the PSU connectors DO NOT MATCH UP WITH THOSE ON THE MOBO! Has this been resolved?? I have never had this issue on any other previous builds and am concerned about "forcing" the second 4-pin connector into the 8-pin on the MOBO- I REALLY don't want to fry anything or cause myself problems down the road because of a forced connection. The MOBO manual expressly states that "The power supply plugs are designed to fit in only one orientation" and the PSU manual expressly states "USE ONLY the modular cables bundled with the power supply unit" and "DO NOT use any third party cables or extension cables with this unit". Any input would be much appreciated-

Hey, I had a similar issue when assembling my build same deal X670E Hero 850W Thor, and weirdly I ended up having to use one cable from each 4+4 on the different 8 sockets, I haven't had any issues with it, I'm looking into getting extensions just because currently they won't snake behind the back of the ROG Helios case I have and I had to put them OVER the GPU towards the back to try to keep them out of the way, I'll update when I get the extensions, as far as the cables not fitting, try putting one 4 pins from one cable into one socket and the other 4 pins into the other, it is weird as hell but hey it worked lol

pvt_alex
Level 8

Just started my build tonight with the x670e and the 1200 thor ran into the exact same issue...wtf.... did you get this resolved? Pretty psised off to discover this so deep into my build..me and my buddies were super confused lol