cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x299 TUF Mark 1 RGB header question

RazorEye
Level 8
I have a TUF Mark 1 with a 4-pin addressable header. From my understanding this is a 12v header. I was looking into adding a LED strip or two but they come in the 3-pin variety which is only 5v. What LED strip do I need to get to use with my board? I'm looking for a blue hue that matches the ML120 Pros I already have from Corsair.
3 REPLIES 3

1mluer
Level 11
There are 2 types of RGB headers.. The 12v 4-pin is just an RGB strip header and does nothing in the way of addressability.. It just shows the current light color playing on that bus. The 5V 3-pin RGB addressable header is just that.. It allows the lights on the strip or whatever device to be programmed to show which color in the sequence.

You can't interchange the 2 .. the 12V header you are talking about is ONLY for a 4-pin 12v RGB strip. NOT a 5v 3-pin addressable strip. First off, both 12v and 5v headers use a 4 pin plug on ASUS products. But normally can't plug a 3-pin 5v strip into a 4-pin 12v header because of a blocking key on the plug leaving one of the pins empty on the 5v strip. If you do manage to get it on there it will probably fry the strip or worse your MB RGB channel.

Look for 12v Aura Sync compatible strip and stay away from the 5v addressable strips until you get a product that has 5v aRGB or Addressable RGB header.

You need the 12v 4 pin RGB Aura Sync compatible strips that are sold by just about everyone.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

RazorEye
Level 8
I appreciate the response and the explanation. Are there a few brand names I should be looking out for?

1mluer
Level 11
Cablemod sells both 5v and 12v versions. I think asus also sells in the accessories area.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!