cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 SSD+ Raid0 Maximus VI

Incloud
Level 7
I recently built a new system with the maximus vi formula and have been trying for two days to get Windows 7 installed to my new Samsung 840 Pro with 2 Samsung F3 as Raid0. I cannot get Windows iinstalled unless it is set to AHCI in bios. I then am not getting my Raid array. I could use some help as I built this new system for the mere benefit of sata 3 and to get the most from my SSD. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!
9 REPLIES 9

Classic_GOD
Level 10
You'll need to download Intel Rapid Storage drivers, extract them and put them on a USB drive. During the installation point the installer to the driver by clicking 'Load Driver' in the "Where do you want to install Windows?" window

Incloud
Level 7
I've been attempting it that way with the drivers both on my thumb drive and with the Asus disk. When I hit next after loading driver, it says windows cannot be installed on this drive for all drives. I've even tried unplugging all but my optical drive and the SSD.

Classic_GOD
Level 10
Are you installing in UEFI mode? If so is your RAID runing in UEFI mode?

HiVizMan
Level 40
This is what I do.

Only have your SSD fitted in the correct Intel port that you wish to use.

BIOS to default. F5 and enter.

Set SATA mode to RAID

F10 to save and enter.

Use your USB OS install drive and install OS.

Then once done add the two hard drives and set them up in the RAID configuration application. Ctl I during the post process.

Download the Microsoft USB Tool and ensure you use a OS that is SP1 - this I find help big time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Incloud
Level 7
Thanks guys for the feedback. My problem is I've never seen the UEFI bios until this board and it has me a little noobed, lol. I never had this problem in the past. I'm very confused as I've tried all that I know. I'm not sure if my raid is set to UEFI and I don't have a thumb drive OS install. I suppose I could make one with some instructions. I've made one a few years back but haven't had a need for one in ages. It seems the cd/dvd drive is the culprit in this case. It's a shame that all the ddrivers I've tried and nothing has worked. Those on the Asus disk give the no signed drivers found error. I'm up for any and all suggestions.

Oh and another culprit is most likely that I have an older Windows 7 disk and it most likely does not have SP1. I like Windows 7 better than 8 but I do have 8. Maybe it would be easier to just install Windows 8? I just hate the interface when not utilizing touch.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The USB OS disk is one click to make now mate.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

All you need to do is connect only your ssd to the system and go to the main menu and set SATA mode to RAID.

F10 and enter.

Install that easy.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Incloud
Level 7
Okay Thanks! I tried Windows 8 while I was waiting for a response and no luck. I have to go to work but will make a usb drive tonight and give it a go. Thanks again!

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries do let us know how it turned out please.

Thanks a lot guys! Making the USB drive from the one-click option tool from Microsoft worked without a hitch. I had a little trouble trying to get Windows installed in UEFI mode and just reset the bios, switched to Raid and all went well. I'm up and running now with all drivers and amazing performance. The only one other issue I could use some feedback on is:

My i7 920 seemed to always run at around 33 degrees Fahrenheit. This new chip, i7 4770k is running at 82 degrees Fahrenheit. I s that temp extremely high or was I mistaken my temps on the 920 for Fahrenheit and not Celcius. In short, is 82 degrees Fahrenheit too hot for the 4770k? Have a great Thanksgiving guys and Thanks again!