cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will This m.2 SATA SSD Work With Maximus X HERO WIFI AC?

zudzguy
Level 7
Hello,

I have a question pertaining expanding my storage devices. I am trying to maintain a clean look with minimal cabling in my rig. I have a Maximus X Hero Wifi AC motherboard with a 960 EVO already slotted into the M.2_1 slot on the motherboard.

My question is: If I buy a WD Blue m.2 1TB which is SATA, will it work slotted into the second slot of the motherboard? The manual doesn't really make this clear. It says as follows:

"M.2_1 Socket 3 for M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (Supports PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes)

"M.2_2 Socket 3 for M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (Supports PCIE 3.0x4 mode)

Does this mean that it won't work slotted into the first M.2 socket? Or would it, just that the motherboard doesn't state it.

If you have knowledge on this subject please share your thoughts with me before I go ahead an purchase this storage device! Newegg is running a sale on these drives and I would like to take advantage of it but would like to ensure that it will work beforehand.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
What Im seeing is seeing how its a SATA drive it will only work in M.2_1 and will most likely need to be assigned sata mode in the BIOS under PCH controller section.
You do know that a SATA M.2 will be like 500 MB/S sequential read at best compared to 3500 MB/S of the NVMe?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, I chose it because it's on par with regular 2.5 form factor SSD, without having the need for any cables. I want to just fill up both my m.2 slots. So what you're saying is exactly what I was afraid of - The WD Blue SATA m.2 would only work in the first slot, correct? How would I go about moving my current m.2 to the second slot then? Could I simply plug and play into the second slot and my operating system will remain intact and will boot fine?

The Samsung would go in M.2_2. Be sure to set it to X4 in Bios to get its full speed.

The WD would go in M.2_1 and you can set it in Bios to Auto or to SATA. Either will pick it up as a SATA drive. It knows that from the 2 B and M spaces in the connector.

You will get full speed from the Samsung and you will get up to SATA 3 speeds from the WD.

JustinThyme
Level 13
^^^
What he said and add that you are pointing to the right drive in the boot menu of the BIOS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein