cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would ASUS gimp the FX505 laptop line like this?

Hisuiiki
Level 7
I have the DT version with an R7 3750H and a 1650. Before saying anything else, I should mention the laptop does not really overheat. I've tested it with Prime and Unigene benchmarks and there were no real issues with overheating. Though that does not mean it does not have cooling issues!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I should say how baffled I am by the decision ASUS they made with the cooling solution for this laptop. I am mainly talking about the bottom lid of the thing. It literally has two fairly small holes on the bottom, one of which is about twice as small than the other one. There are a few issues with this I've found so far.

The first one being that using a cooling pad actually increased my temps by about 1c. While you could say this is a margin of error it really isn't considering how consistent those changes were when I was testing. My cooling pad did not reduce the area of air inflow as it is a flat mesh but somehow it increased the temperature when not turned on. When I turned it on, it increased even more. This completely baffled me because you would think that even when not turned on the pad could not be worse than a flat surface but hey...it's actually a thing. Maybe my laptop and pad don't like each other. 1c is also not really worth that much attention so F it.

What really amazed me was when I open the laptop to increase the RAM. I decided to run prime 95 while the laptop was open and HOLY **** THE TEMPS DROPPED BY 10C. Ten degrees Celsius!!! That is A LOT for any CPU or GPU out there. Why? Why would you make the air intake holes so few and so small that the laptop can't breathe as best as it could. What was ASUS afraid of? More dust intake? Did they not want to spend money on changing the mold from the FX504 and they wanted to reuse the thing? It would literally cost them pocket amount of money to modify the old one or if they cant, make a new one. Whatever it was, I can't say it's incompetence because well...they are making one of the most advanced pieces of tech on the planet but it definitely shows negligence, laziness and their lack of ****s that they gave when designing the laptop. They probably said "Hey they wouldn't notice or care!"

Well, I do! And a lot more other people do! I like my machine to run as best and as cool as possible. I like to get the most out of my money! I like to not lose frames, performance, noise and longevity, no matter how little I may lose, because someone decided not to do a proper job! They could have taken literally any design decision apart from literally reducing or removing the current vents and it would have been better. It's also worth mentioning that the same FX505 line with better specs than mine have the same bottom lid with the same air vents. They output even more heat and are suffocating even more than mine.

I regret not taking any screens and I should have. I even considered opening the thing and testing again but one of the small plastic brackets holding the lid broke already even though I used one of those blue plastic things made for opening phones and laptops. I don't want to break any more for the sake of some pics...

Overall, even if increasing the vent area does not reduce the temps by 10c as there will still be some air resistance, I imagine it will still lower the temps by 5c, which in my book is still a major win!

Edit 1 : I should correct myself about something. Even though one vent looks smaller both are actually about the same in area size!
0 REPLIES 0