Voltage fluctuation or psu shutdown?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Asus Z490
1 TB SSD

Week ago i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic advertisement part pc just shutdown. I pressed only power button, rebooted again and its fine again. Happened once and i cant reproduce.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

Is this possible that i had voltage power fluctuation in house and thats why it shutdown?
But during launching Metro Exodus,coincedence?
Also laptop and router was not affected, router and laptop doesnt turn off. Only pc.

Power after AC loss have ON in UEFI. So if it was just losing power for a split second, it should be rebooting?
So why he stay off.?
12 REPLIES 12

BigJohnny
Level 13
Ditto on the UPS and dont buy the cheapest one you can find either. I suggest a double conversion online UPS. The cheap line interactive has you on utility until it fails. A double conversion you are always on a pure sinewave regulated and protected source that is isolated from the input. They arent exactly cheap but a very good investment. Once you get a decent one you are good for 5 years on the batteries and 10 years or more on the UPS itself although its recommend to replace the batteries in 5 years then at the 10 year mark replace the whole thing as there are internal parts, specifically capacitors that have a finite lifespan.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

2 weeks ago i launched Metro Exodus and in cinematic advertisement part ( 30 fps ) pc just shutdown. I pressed only power button, rebooted again and its fine again. Happened once and i cant reproduce.
Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part. I tried to reproduce issue by launching game 400 times and no shutdowns. It happened once,should i worry?My question is. It was psu issue or maybe game/driver bug?Power was in house i think,laptop and router dont notice anything.
Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Also
I think it was not overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.PS:

Also tested all other games,no issues.Especially Cyberpunk 2077,WD Legion - no issues.

But. But i read on internet about issues with that psus manufactured before 2021 year.
My S/N is:R2011 first digits of s\n. 20 is year. What now. Change psu or ignore that 1 shutdown? thanks

lpiotrowski211 wrote:
Change psu or ignore that 1 shutdown? thanks

Ignore it. Until you have repeated issues there is nothing more to be done.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…