Voltage fluctuation or psu shutdown?

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Asus Z490
1 TB SSD

Week ago i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic advertisement part pc just shutdown. I pressed only power button, rebooted again and its fine again. Happened once and i cant reproduce.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

Is this possible that i had voltage power fluctuation in house and thats why it shutdown?
But during launching Metro Exodus,coincedence?
Also laptop and router was not affected, router and laptop doesnt turn off. Only pc.

Power after AC loss have ON in UEFI. So if it was just losing power for a split second, it should be rebooting?
So why he stay off.?
12 REPLIES 12

BigJohnny
Level 13
Could have been something else spiking in system causing a shut down.
Reboot after power loss is a BIOS setting. Mine is set to not reboot after power loss.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Power after AC loss have ON in UEFI. So if it was just voltage spike for a split second, it should be rebooting?

You have already been answered multiple times on multiple forums around the Internet. I would like to remind you that you were banned from several of these forums for not letting this matter rest after people were kind and already helped you as much as possible. Please do not be a pest.

I will summarize for you one last time. If any of what I write is hard to comprehend you may send me a PM and I will do my best to use different English words. Unfortunately I do not speak Polish so I cannot do any translation.

1) Your PC shut down while in use. This can be due to a number of root causes but with a single incident it is impossible to know for sure. It could be an intermittent hardware problem or unstable power in your home. One of the foremost power supply experts (johnnyguru) answered you. No one can tell you more than that. If this was a one time event then it appears your PC was not harmed and there is no further cause for concern. I still recommend buying a high powered UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) if you wish to protect your gaming PC from unstable power.

2) You experimented with various methods of cutting power to your PC. You found that it did not always turn back on automatically. The setting only works if the power cuts out cleanly. If the power does not cut cleanly then internal protection circuits will trip in the power supply and it will require turning off and on to reset. Any fluctuation in the voltage (even briefly) as the power goes out will trip this protection. It is not unexpected and your power supply is designed to work this way in order to prevent damage. This can happen when your power utility experiences an issue, your house wiring has a problem, or you have a faulty appliance plugged in somewhere in your home that is causing problems. Even turning off a breaker can do this if the breaker does not cut power instantly and cleanly. Whatever the issue is, it does not appear to be causing repeated problems so it is unlikely cause for serious concern. Again, if you want to protect your PC from external power issues you need a UPS. A surge protector will prevent the worst problem (a power surge) but it cannot protect you from voltage droops or power outages. Only a UPS can do that.

I believe that is all of the information that has been provided to you summarized in one place. This is about all you can learn due to the ambiguous nature of the original problem. Asking again will not help you find any new information.

*Do NOT start another thread.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Thank you xeromist.
But pc shutdown and i dont have to flip the switch on the back of psu. I just pressed power button to boot pc,nothing else.

You said:"internal protection circuits will trip in the power supply and it will require turning off and on to reset."

Same thing. Some require a physical reset and some reset themselves. Some even used to have a separate button on the back for reset. But anytime a protection is tripped you will have to manually turn it back on. It will not restart based on a BIOS setting. This is working as designed because in a situation where the power is unstable for hours and you are not home it will prevent your PC from being damaged by just keeping things powered off.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
So if pc shutdown that time, and i dont have to flip the switch on the back of psu to boot pc, it was not because protection was tripped?

You said:" But anytime a protection is tripped you will have to manually turn it back on."

Aaa you mean manually turn back it on , you mean pc? ok

xeromist
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. You are correct that I meant the PC in general. Sometimes you *also* have to use the physical switch on the back of the PSU but that varies by PSU model. It appears your model does not require it.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hey xeromist.

https://hardforum.com/threads/need-replacement-for-seasonic-tx-850-with-better-ocp-for-3090.2011505/

But someone had this problem with same psu and he have to reset the PSU at the switch.

So maybe my shutdown was not related to OCP then?

Also you said:" If the power does not cut cleanly then internal protection circuits will trip in the power supply and it will require turning off and on to reset. Any fluctuation in the voltage (even briefly) as the power goes out will trip this protection. It is not unexpected and your power supply is designed to work this way in order to prevent damage. This can happen when your power utility experiences an issue, your house wiring has a problem, or you have a faulty appliance plugged in somewhere in your home that is causing problems"

But i didnt reset by switch the psu. So shutdown was not due voltage fluctuation then?

xeromist
Correct, it's unlikely Over Current Protection which is tripped when you draw too much current. Typically you would trip OCP when overclocking or if you have a PSU that is too small for the graphics card you have installed. Also OCP would probably trip repeatedly when playing the same game. Not necessarily every time you play but it would have happened again at some point when rendering similar scenes.

BUT, power supplies have many protections. Here are some of them, and this list may vary by model:
(OCP) Over-Current Protection
OVP/UVP (Over Voltage/Under Voltage Protection)
OPP (Over Power Protection)
OTP (Over Temperature Protection)
SCP (Short Circuit Protection)

Which one tripped during the original incident? There is no way to know and it could have been something other than the power supply. Seriously, it could have been a particle from outer space passing through your PC and disrupting proper functions. It's extremely rare but it happens. I'm not saying that *is* what happened but you have to accept that the root cause may be beyond your understanding or control and at some point you will have to move on with life.

When you were flipping breakers in your house that would be a different situation. In that case you deliberately created a power fault which was interpreted by the PSU as unsafe and it went to a power off state requiring a manual start.

I'll repeat: unless it happens repeatedly this is not a problem you can solve. There are two options: You can choose to accept that now or you can let it plague your brain. There is no third option where you ask the right question and people suddenly tell you the answer they have been withholding from you. But you can keep spinning in circles and wear out the patience of every tech expert on the Internet so none of them will ever help you again.