cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMD Layout?

reduke
Level 7
Long time user, first time poster, just trying to get some seemingly unpublished information about a new build I'm working on.

Disclaimer: I know all about supported/unsupported configurations, I am not looking for anyone to remind me what should not be possible, apologies if this puts anyone off.

Build, at present:
Rampage VI Encore, latest BIOS, 0505
10920x
32GB Quad channel 3200 C14 GSkill
2 x Intel 7600p 256GB M2
1 x VROCISSDMOD Key
Sapphire RX580 8GB
LTSC 1809

My questions surround VMD layouts on the x299 platform. I cannot seem to find anywhere that details exactly which M2 ports / PCI slots are attached to which VMD.

At present I have been able to get both of the M2's attached to the DIMM.2, RAID1 them and make them bootable. My results have been mixed - Windows is asbolutely bootable, and runs completely fine to a point, across multiple reboots. The only problem occurs when Windows Update decides to install driver updates (I had already installed what was on the USB key). At that point I had a BSOD and failure to boot as the RAID was seen as a RAW disk.

My current plan is to keep using this config, start the build again but disable driver updates from Windows Updates, and see if I can get it to run stably, or reproduce the problem in a consistent manner. I am not at all worried about data loss, I am just looking to find out what is actually possible, rather than what is supported.

Once I have the boot drive sorted properly, I plan to re-use an existing pair of spinning rust in RAID1 as bulk data storage on the RSTe.

My backup plan, as per my original question, is to change to a "supported" configuration for a RAID1 boot volume, and go from there - hence my question about VMD layouts.
1 REPLY 1

Mixer
Level 7
My current plan is to keep using this config, start the build again but disable driver updates from Windows Updates,

Exactly the thing to do. Don't count on MS Windows scraping the internet for "what they think" is the best driver.