cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful little bits & pieces, gadgets & gizmos

Korth
Level 14
Some weird odds and ends, "DIY" parts, and neat tech which I've found interesting or sometimes useful in PC builds, media, and gaming.
This ain't ROG. And it's rarely found at PC modding sites like FrozenCPU, modDIY, Xoxide, or Mnpctech. But it's sometimes handy stuff, nonetheless.

Marseille mCable Cinema Edition and Marseille mCable Gaming Edition
ImageImage
An HDMI cable with an embedded "Intelligent Pixel Processor" that provides contextual antialiasing, enhanced contrast, and enhanced detail/sharpness. They actually do noticeably improve image quality, up to 4K, but most especially at low- and mid- resolutions. Great for consoles and DVD players, less useful on powerful GPUs or Blu-Ray players. Linus did a review.
About $119 on Amazon.

XH-W1209 Digital Thermostat Control Module
A small PCB (48mm x 40mm) with terminals for 12V power and 12V/5A relay, (programmable) STM8S003F3P6 chip, 3-digit numeric LED.
Comes with one 10K/1% NTC thermistor probe.
Displays temps (-50C to +110C in 0.1C increments), can power the relay ON/OFF at user set values, provides real-time hardware temp monitor and control of attached fans/pumps/coolers.
Widely available, about two bucks each on Amazon or eBay. Other models/variants with different features available.

"Disk On Module" or "Flash Module" drives
This "form factor" is largely unknown to consumers but has been used by enterprise folks for years. Not a standard, so it actually takes many different forms. Basically the same thing as a USB flash drive, except instead of a USB port it plugs into a SATA or PATA or Floppy port while reporting to firmware as a "normal" fixed drive.
They're pocket-portable backup/system/install drives, they can boot systems which can't boot USB/PCIe/M.2/U.2/etc. I've plugged them into broken RAIDs before, lol, fill the gap until a replacement SSD arrives. And they open options for crowdy mobile devices or tight SFF builds.
Tons of them on eBay and Alibaba, many are cheap and small and slow (and legacy), but some have merit.

KingDian S100 1.8"/2.5" SATA2 SSD and KingDian M100 mSATA2 SSD. In 8GB, 16GB, and whopping 32GB capacity.
Old JMicron controller and old Toshiba MLC; rated performances up to 219MB/s Read, 52MB/s Write, and 3905 IOPS; rated longevity 8 years or 1000000 hours.
Why is this low-end junk here? Basic "SSD performance" which still beats any HDD when you need something rock-bottom cheap: $10 (8GB), $14 (16GB), and $18 (32GB) on Newegg.

Angle adapters
Savvy PC builders/modders know about PCIe risers/extenders yet many have never imagined angle adapters for USB, HDMI, DisplayPort, SATA, etc. Almost every kind of plug or cable ever made has some kind of angle adapter. Sometimes they even have flexible hinges.
Many a build (and many a builder) have suffered greatly for want of such a simple thing when crowded parts just don't fit.
These sorts of things can be purchased everywhere online. Be aware of "low-profile", "left-handed", and "right-handed" versions when needed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
5 REPLIES 5

haihane
Level 13
i saw the Mcable review thing done by linus.
psst, check out the comments section, it's hillarious AF. 😉
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Korth
Level 14
lol Linus reviews are always hilarious. The combination of his squeaky voice and the endless legions of internet trolls is win-win.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

xeromist
Yeah, I'd be skeptical of anything that does voodoo on an HDMI signal but I suppose there may be use cases.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Korth
Level 14
High-end monitors and TVs often do voodoo of this sort, too. It's just less mysterious because the user has to actually hit some buttons or slide things around in OSD to activate these "enhancements".

I bought an mCable "Ultra HD Edition". I was actually impressed by how it "cleaned up" quality on Telus Optik HDTV and playback of old DVDs. I was unimpressed by having to constantly swap the HDMI cable (on both ends) whenever I changed signal sources, and I was not about to buy three more of them, I was happy to discover I didn't really need to keep doing this when I got a newer/better TV and Blu-Ray player. I ended up "giving" it to a buddy who plays PS4 and Xbox, he seriously loves this gizmo, it's a subtle but real qualitative difference in his games.

But I admit Marseille's marketing is too much, they try too hard to make it look like a lot more than it is, if I'd never heard of it before I would automatically think the reviews are sockpuppets and their website overhypes snake oil. I think $120 is too much, although better than the $165 I paid (for what I guess is now a less advanced version) back in 2015, lol.

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
High-end monitors and TVs often do voodoo of this sort, too. It's just less mysterious because the user has to actually hit some buttons or slide things around in OSD to activate these "enhancements".

Yup, that was the first thing I thought of. I'd rather have something I can disable through a menu rather than have to change a cable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…