cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade advice.

Omyth
Level 7
Hello everyone.

So currently im running a rather old rig I build about 4 years ago. im looking to upgrade a bit without hurting the bank.

I will keep my PSU and case. Id like to upgrade my MB, CPU, Ram, And GFX card. The entire system is water cooled so im going to need to redo that as well.

im currently using:
Maximus VI Formula
i7 4770k
2x GTX 770's
16GB DDR3 ram

So obviously I am going to just reuse most things like res/fans/both rads. Any advice is appreciated, and thanks for reading. 🙂
28 REPLIES 28

Omyth wrote:
So im thinking of getting this one.

https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Platinum-Certified-Modular-PT-1000FM/dp/B00NWE9RNW?tag=bom_tomshardware-2...

its a 1200W PS, the 100W one wich was the only one on that list from above was only 50$ cheaper. What do you think about this?

Based on reviews, it's an excellent PSU. However, 1200W is overkill for your build ... I'd save the $50 and get 1000W (or less). I wouldn't go lower than 850W unless you are replacing the GPUs. You don't gain anything by getting an overpowered PSU except a lighter wallet and, perhaps, bragging points.

DevBiker wrote:
Based on reviews, it's an excellent PSU. However, 1200W is overkill for your build ... I'd save the $50 and get 1000W (or less). I wouldn't go lower than 850W unless you are replacing the GPUs. You don't gain anything by getting an overpowered PSU except a lighter wallet and, perhaps, bragging points.

A typical PSU is most efficient when operating between 40%-60% so a slightly more powerful PSU is somewhat beneficial.

Silver rating: 85%/89%/85% -20%/50%/100% load
Gold rating : 88% /92%/88%- 20%/50%/100% load
Platinum rating: 90%/94%/91%- 20%/50%/100% load

It's best to add up the power consumption of your components to identify that sweet spot instead of spending more money for power that will not be used. Unless you're going for overhead . But if he decides to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080, 850 watts is all that's required. 1200 watts would be needed for an HEDT chip and a pair of 1080 Ti's in SLI.

Should you decide on 850 I recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2. Very happy with mine. Stay away from the G2 and GS models. Although very efficient they seem to have a few issues.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Korth
Level 14
I'd say a quality 750W would suffice, even a 650W although that would be a little edgy. The mobo manual recommends 1000W+ with multi-GPU.

That FSP 1200W Platinum PSU is a fine beast. It turns out that it's exactly the same model (albeit only 1200W-rated) as the Zalman 1250W Platinum PSUs I've been running completely problem-free since late 2014. 7-year warranty = "awesome quality/longevity". But $250 is more than you really need to pay to keep your system going another few years, lol.

Newegg.com has a variety of ~850W Platinum PSUs around $150 and ~1000W Platinum PSUs around $200.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
Use Google to find out how to flush and or tear down your system, plenty of vids on YouTube. The system I built my nephew (similar specs to yours) uses a corsair rm750 just fine and I'm using a corsair rm850x (recommended). Did you try the trouble shooting steps, like disconnecting components. I'd hate to see you buy a psu only to have the same problem.

Omyth
Level 7
Update, so for so good. I drained and cleaned out my system, replaced the PSU with a 1000W one. I am about to run some stress tests to see if it shuts down on itself again now. Did the GPU tests already and nothing went wrong. Altho I am unable to OC to a stable amount, I am stuck using the optimized defaults in bios. There is 8 preset OC profiles already in place but none of them are stable and wont alow the pc to stay running for more then 10min lol.

Omyth wrote:
Update, so for so good. I drained and cleaned out my system, replaced the PSU with a 1000W one. I am about to run some stress tests to see if it shuts down on itself again now. Did the GPU tests already and nothing went wrong. Altho I am unable to OC to a stable amount, I am stuck using the optimized defaults in bios. There is 8 preset OC profiles already in place but none of them are stable and wont alow the pc to stay running for more then 10min lol.
Something to look into for your setup http://www.overclock.net/t/1426444/max-safe-voltage-for-4770k-24-7-under-water
https://rog.asus.com/articles/overclocking/5ghz-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide-on-maximus-vi-formula...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
A lot of information here to help you get the most out of your setup

kkn
Level 14
that can be the voltage, that you may have to bump up the voltage on the cpu and maby on the ram ( maby set ram voltage manualy first ).
and test out how it goes.

Omyth
Level 7
So after 3hours 30min of Prime85 testing, I think the system is good. Using 100% of the cpu the entire time the temps reached a high of 61C. Thanks for everyones insights and help! saved me a lot of money lol.

Omyth wrote:
So after 3hours 30min of Prime85 testing, I think the system is good. Using 100% of the cpu the entire time the temps reached a high of 61C. Thanks for everyones insights and help! saved me a lot of money lol.
Awesome [emoji1]