cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Configuration Help

xombie
Level 7
Budget: $3500.00-$4000.00
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, artwork, some video editing and streaming and creative posturing! (I have the build bug!)
Parts required: I have a Maximus X Formula motherboard (have), i7-8700K (have), G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (have), ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-G video card (have), Cooler Master H500M case (Pre-order), Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe (OS boot drive)(have), 2 Seagate 4TB BarraCuda Pro hdd (RAID?)(buying), Windows 10 Pro 64 (have), ASUS ROG PG279Q Monitor (buying) unless you have a better idea, ASUS 850w Thor power supply (I hope...if it comes out soon), Huion Kamvas GT-191 art monitor
Previous build information (list details of parts):
Monitor resolution: 2560 X 1440
Storage requirements: Some Programs and temporary artwork on the 970 pro and massive amounts of games on hdd
Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)yes but not at first (Memory on XMP will be enabled right away)
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): water cooling after everything is playing nice together
Extra information about desired system:
I know Optane does not have to be on the boot drive anymore according to this:

Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory
Last Reviewed: 18-Apr-2018
Article ID: 000027987
With the latest Intel® Optane™ memory and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) applications (Version 16.0.2.1086 or later), the Secondary/Data drive can be accelerated with Intel Optane memory modules.

Hardware/Software Requirements
For processor/chipset support requirements, please see Software and Platform Support for Intel® Optane™ Memory.
Drives that are Type 'Dynamic' aren't supported. Drive must be in Type 'Basic' as seen in Disk Management (Windows logo + x and select Disk Management).
Intel Optane memory-enabled motherboard with the Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.0.2.3402 or later. Consult your motherboard vendor for the proper system BIOS version for this support.
All additional system requirements and BIOS settings are the same as noted in the Installation Guide.

With this additional capability, the applications now provide an option to select which drive to accelerate.

Now that being said, Does anyone know if the Pre-OS UEFI Driver is version 16.0.2.3402 or later for the Maximus X Formula? and is it possible/practical to have the grahics card in the x16 slot, the OS on Samsung 970 Pro in the PCIe x4 slot and the 2 hdd in raid 0 with Optane 32gb cache in another PCIe slot.
0 REPLIES 0