cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swaping my Z170 Deluxe to a Maximus XI Extreme what do you suggest?

spanishflyer
Level 7
Just purchased the Maximus XI Extreme and installed it where the Z170 was; I have several SATA drives (disconnected for the time being) plus an Intel 1.2 TB MVMe inserted in one of the PCIEX on the mobo. That's where I have my Windows 10 64 installed. I was not expecting the PC to fire-up as if nothing had happened, but at the moment I find no drives shown on the Bios. I would like to install Windows on the Intel drive (fresh install), but I just can't find it... I have the Windows 10 64 disc on the dvd ready...
The other option I thought about was to purchase and install an M.2 Samsung 1TB PCIe 3.0, but if possible I would prefer to save my money, using the hardware I already have.
By the way, I'm using the 4 RAM mem sticks and my GTX 1080; for some reason, the DVI port of the graphics card no longer works, so I hadto return to the old HDMI cable to connect the Benq to the PC; any clues why this is happening?
Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
Is your Intel drive in the bottom pciex16 slot which is an electrical x4 slot off the PCH controller? is it mounted fully into the slot? sometimes small differences in cases prevent fully seating pcie cards.
Have you booted to your copy of Windows to check if Windows recognizes your drive.
What CPU are you using, what memory kit?
Not sure about your displayport issue, lets see if we can get Windows installed and work from there.

spanishflyer
Level 7
Hi Menthol,
I have tried almost everything I could think of without success; tried the two slots that remain on the mobo after the Nvidia 1080 Ti, making no difference. I have an Intel i7 9700 and am using the same 32GB 3.200 Ram I had in the Z170 Deluxe, and now I have two extra M.2 1TB drives on the DIMM.2 of the Maximus XI Extreme; one of them has windows 10 64 installed and the other I use for programs and games. Checked with Intel website and they don't support this 750 series drive any longer. The "thing" cost me a lot so as to leave it out and apart from anything it is the 1.2 GB model, which I could be mmore than happy to use as storage, but the problem remains in the fact that whatever I do, BIOS and all, I haven't managed to have it recognized by the BIOS or Windows.
Just don't know what to do with it, but it is a real pity because itnot only has windows installed, but many important files and programs I wouldn't like to lose : (
Thanks for the suggestions and I'm open to new ideas. (like finding a driver I can install from a USB to make it click)....

spanishflyer
Level 7
Sorry, I meant Intel 750 series 1.2 TB, not gb...