cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix x570-i stopped working and will not post

mz7nmk
Level 7
I just did a new build on a Strix x570-i and everything went well on first startup and first day. Windows 10 installed without issue, recognized 32 GB RAM and both M.2 SSDs - the system worked great (all drivers installed, I did not update BIOS). The next day I was downloading GTA5 when the system froze. I rebooted and now it will not post and I cannot get into BIOS. On power up, the RGB LEDs light up, and I hear the power on "click", but there is no video, no HD LED activity, no fan startup - only the RGB LEDs. There are no LEDs lit on the POST error lights. I have removed each component from the MB one at a time to try to identify the issues, but it will not post even with just a video card and no memory.

I would appreciate any feedback for anything I may have missed as far as troubleshooting. I would be very disappointed if I have to replace the MB, mostly because they are never in stock.

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

bendoin
Level 7
Hello

I've now gotten my third Asus Strix motherboard refunded. The first was a different model with Intel socket, but the last two were the same Strix x570-i model that you mention.

They all broke down at different stages. Which leads me to believe it's more BIOS related than hardware. The first Intel socket lasted about 4-6 months, the second never POST:ed and the third worked perhaps a few weeks to a month or two at most.

No confirmation or acknowledgement from Asus about what the problem is, they just issued the refund. So if it's poor manufacturing, BIOS problems or other thing I don't know. And no compensation for the extensive troubleshooting or pain it caused me.

All my components have been tested and working in other computers but I had to prove that every single time, which is time consuming. (But I do get why.)

So send it back and buy a new motherboard. I went with an different vendor this time that seems to be working.

I would have probably stayed with Asus if they just confirmed why this happened and how they're working to fix it.

Hope this helps and that it has caused you less suffering than it caused me.

/Bendoin

Thank God I found this so I know I'm not going insane.

I have (had?) a Strix X570-i that's been up and running with a Ryzen 5 5600X and an Inno3D RTX 3060 Ti for several months now.

It was initially in a DarkFlash DLH21 but I didn't like the thermal performance with the fine mesh filters installed nor the fact I had to remove every connection from the computer to take the back panel off (the grommet in the back panel is O shaped instead of a U).

I swapped the build into a Cooler Master Masterbox N200P and also carried over the Alphacool Eisbaer LT 240 but wasn't getting the cooling performance I expected, probably because there wasn't enough room left in the case for any airflow when compared to the DLH21.

So I put a Noctua NH-L9 on it and had just finished checking thermals and checking he fans through the ASUS Armoury Crate utility when I was notified (not unexpectedly as the computer had been offline for about a month) of a Windows Update. I selected "Update and restart" and walked out of the room to grab my coffee. On returning my screen was blank, fans were at 100% RPM, and the system was unresponsive necessitating removal of the power cord to shut down the system.

When I reconnected the power, I faced the same issue. The audio port LEDs enable and (sometimes) the accent LED's on the bottom edge of the motherboard flash briefly, but the PC will not boot. I have followed the "9 steps for idiots" under the ASUS troubleshooting with no success. I can jumper the CMOS clear pins all day long, but in the end, there's no change. I use a "short" tool to bridge the FPANEL power pins - nothing. I've swapped the PSU, RAM, M.2 drive - and attempted to boot without various components installed - zip, nothing on the debug LEDs even. I also ran a multimeter at the wall to make sure the input voltage was correct - but given when I swapped complete units (to a "test bench" i5-9400F/AsRock B365M/GTX 1660 SUPER I use for general debugging) there were no issues, that was probably overkill.

ASUS has offered to RMA the board, and given my location differs from my service area it'll be 2-3 months before I see it returned.

I'm contemplating the more morally questionable purchase/swap/return...

I've been using ASUS motherboards exclusively for client builds up to this point because the UEFI BIOS is so easy to use for overclocking and they're extremely stable when pushed. But in the past 4 months I've had a Z590-A PRIME with a dead (at the hardware level) network port (fixed by returning to Amazon for a refund) and now this X570-i issue. I recently built an AMD/Radeon box for a client with a Tuf Gaming B550 Plus and had no issues and my personal system is on a Z590-E, again no issues. I'm wondering if I've done something to displease the RNG Gods with this build.

If I could somehow get a refund I'd probably go with a B550-i TBH, the X570 was overkill for this build from the start. But here I am, waiting on my RMA email.

bendoin wrote:
Hello

I've now gotten my third Asus Strix motherboard refunded. The first was a different model with Intel socket, but the last two were the same Strix x570-i model that you mention.

They all broke down at different stages. Which leads me to believe it's more BIOS related than hardware. The first Intel socket lasted about 4-6 months, the second never POST:ed and the third worked perhaps a few weeks to a month or two at most.

No confirmation or acknowledgement from Asus about what the problem is, they just issued the refund. So if it's poor manufacturing, BIOS problems or other thing I don't know. And no compensation for the extensive troubleshooting or pain it caused me.

All my components have been tested and working in other computers but I had to prove that every single time, which is time consuming. (But I do get why.)

So send it back and buy a new motherboard. I went with an different vendor this time that seems to be working.

I would have probably stayed with Asus if they just confirmed why this happened and how they're working to fix it.

Hope this helps and that it has caused you less suffering than it caused me.

/Bendoin

How did you avoid having to go through the RMA process and have a refund issued instead?

Lazel
Level 7

I RMA one x570-i for a bad usb port, which worked fine besides that. I probably should have just kept it to be honest because the new x570-i I got kept freezing or going black screen when booting windows. Reinstalled windows, Cleared CMOS, tried to fix in safe mode. Nothing worked, just sent it to be RMA again. I hope the next one works, it can be a lottery honestly!