cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 2080 Ti monitor flicker with dual monitor setup

GunJam
Level 7
Hello

Ive got a bit of an issue when trying to run dual monitor on Display port.

When both monitors are connected to display port the primary display has a random very instantaneous flicker when motion occurs for example scrolling a web page like this one. for a bout 1/100th of a second you can see a ripple flash though the display

The primary display is an Acer Predator z32qu at 144hz 1440 resolution this is the monitor i see the flicker occurring.
The secondary display is a Dell U2711 at 60hz 1440 res

If I plug the Dell into HDMI the issue goes away and all is good EXCEPT now I cant get 1440 res its capped at 1080

The 2080 TI does not support dual link DVI only HDMI and DP

Trying to find an answer on getting to U2711 to push 1440 over HDMI was hit and miss and used odd "solutions" I didnt want to mess with.
Trying to find out if an adapter from HDMI to dual link DVI would work also wasnt clear.

Hoping someone here has an idea.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

GunJam
Level 7
Disabling G sync does not help

But setting the refresh rate of the Predator to 60hz solves the problem...but obviously isn't a solution.

SO now the issue is flicker occurs on dual monitor setup when using display port and mismatched refresh rates.

GunJam wrote:
Disabling G sync does not help

But setting the refresh rate of the Predator to 60hz solves the problem...but obviously isn't a solution.

SO now the issue is flicker occurs on dual monitor setup when using display port and mismatched refresh rates.

Hi,

Can you please attach a dxdiag. I'm also experiencing this issue. Feel free to post a thread on the NVIDIA message boards, too.

You can also send dispdiag to NVIDIA via the means below with a brief message containing your issue.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3468/kw/dispdiag
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

So I think I have a working solution that is ideal in my case.

Building a custom profile does work but causes again a trade off on HDMI. I build a custom profile as explained here about half way down by Sparkymelb at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1479962

I tried the custom profile before and it looked awful the trick was to switch timing from auto to CVT REDUCED BANK. This looked absolutely perfect just like with dual link dvi or DP.

YET AGAIN i get the flicker to occur just like it did with display port thats super annoying and thats when i finally (probably longer than it should have taken) to realize its a timing issue an nothing else

SO I now choose CVT option and boom problem solved. No flicker perfect image all sunshine and bunnies...until you let the display go to sleep and then on wake up it all goes to hell on the custom profile.. so I read on some more and like the OP had success by changing the refresh rate to 35hz...and boom now it really does look and work perfect....except until something moves on the screen and its at 35hz. 😕

So I went and switched back to display port hoping the 35hz to solve restart was a HDMI limitation. Now when I choose CVT option the monitor goes to hell immediately when running DP and still has flicker with CVT REDUCED BANK. so now thats out

Finally With my newfound knowledge that is timing/Hz related I removed the custom profile, ran the 2711 on DP at native 60hz 1440p and set the Predator to 165hz overclock and now I seem to be doing pretty good no known issues yet. I was worried the predator doesn't have the response time to pull 165hz but it seems to look fine... so great.

I think im set... I hope

Thanks

GunJam
Level 7
i tried using an hdmi cable that is 2.0b others say this worked.. it did not

ill try to find that dxdiag.

i was able to create a custom res profile but it looked awful...

JustinThyme
Level 13
No display port? HDMI has like half the bandwidth and won’t go past 60hz.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein